Forum: Arts / Religion

Surprise at the Monastery
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 04:10 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2008-09-16 16:12:44 spelling...

We have a budding Buddhist community where I live. There is a monastery just outside of our town and a nunnery is also starting up. (My son has been doing website development work for them.) Imagine if you will, seeing Buddhist monks at say, Wal-Mart. That is not uncommon here and most people are pretty used to them by now. (They are Thai monks and they wear saffron robes, have shaved heads and are bare-footed, btw.) I love monks. They are sweet. :)

Anyway, being a former Buddhist I try to keep up on the latest goings-on with the community of practitioners. This week I heard a most interesting story:

The monastery receives lots of monks from different Buddhist lineages (like denominations) that travel through from different areas. Some stay, some move on. A young monk who had been staying the summer recently left under mysterious circumstances. He had said that he was a former aide to the Dalai Lama and was from Dharamsala, India (the seat of Tibetan government and religion in exile). For some reason no one checked on that claim until recently when it was discovered that he was not from Dharamsala - the staff of the Dalai Lama had never heard of him. This led to more inquiry and one thing led to another and before you know it the guy had disappeared and taken almost all of the monastery's money with him. And here's the kicker.......................

The monk was not a man, but an eighteen year old woman who shaved her head and passed herself off as a monk!!!!!!! She is now on the lamb and wanted by the law. She was there all summer and no one was the wiser!

Amazing!

4 Replies to Surprise at the Monastery

re: Surprise at the Monastery
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 06:21 PM
That's incredible.

Although, I do feel kind of sorry for her if she can pass for a man simply by shaving her head...
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 06:31 PM
Clearly man or woman, she has no integrity if she ran off with the monk's money. I think her actions will result in bad karma for her (one way or the other)...
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 07:12 PM
The monastery was yentled!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 09:15 PM
Lol!

I don't know if she was Tibetan or Thai herself but if she was that might explain why she could get away with it. Often men from those areas are very slight in build.

ReplySendWatch