Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
Need ideas for Musical Theater dance class for childern ages 6, 7, and 8 who do not have any dance en>fr fr>en
By wagerkimdancer Comments: 2, member since Sun Sep 21, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:59 PM

Can anyone out there provide me with a fun warm-up and or games to teach a musical theater dance group? First class is Friday the 26th and I am totally out of my realm of dance...Please I am begging you.

Thanks so much.

3 Replies to Need ideas for Musical Theater dance class for childern ages 6, 7, and 8 who do not have any dance

re: Need ideas for Musical Theater dance class for childern ages 6, 7, and 8 who do not have any dan en>fr fr>en
By dancetcher1 Comments: 1766, member since Mon Jan 28, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 03:02 PM
I have seen books in the local libraries about drama games, etc. I would look there.

one I know is have everyone sit in a circle and use a pretend ball to pass to the person next to you and continue. Then use an imaginary egg, and pass different directions, etc. just make that up to flow anyway you want. and of course once the kids are feeling comfortable, you will have them standing up and doing the mime.
Charades is always fun and a good learning experience.
re: Need ideas for Musical Theater dance class for childern ages 6, 7, and 8 who do not have any dan en>fr fr>en
By ShiningStars Comments: 70, member since Mon Sep 01, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 04:06 PM
Besides looking at the library go to amazon and you can order some stuff there.

I use 101 drama games for children
and 101 dance games for children. I ordered them off of amazon

A great way to start may be to teach them stage directions. using the "tic tac toe" analogie. center stage, stage right, stage left. up center, down center, down stage right, up stage right, down stage left, up stage left.

Also teach them why upstage is called up and down is called down how in the beginning the stage was raked. (We always teach this the first day of our musical theatre classes)

A great game we play is called the emotion game. Have them stand in one line all facing the wall and when you say a specific emotion they have to turn to the front and be that emotion. (happy, sad, angry, silly, surprised, tired etc....
(I know this isnt dancing but you have to act in musical theatre so you can explain this is why you might play this game)

good luck
By swspotlight Comments: 2, member since Wed Sep 03, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 05:06 PM
I teach musical theatre for this age and they have lots of fun with high energy games-- like "Anything Fabric"-stand them in a circle and give thme a large piec of fabric ex-- towel or blanket- and they have to make it into something or a costume of some sort- possible a super hero cape-- it gets them using there imagination.
Also we play hitchhiker-- 3 kids are driving down the road in an imaginary car, they see a hitchhiker- and lety them get in-- that person has a personality or emotion that is unique and all the other players have to 'catch it' and become like them-- then another hitch hiker comes along and enters the car-- this goes on until all players have had a turn.

ReplySendWatch