Forum: Arts / Religion

Biblical backing for Purgatory
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 22, 2008 01:00 AM

I think the title speaks for itself, lol. I was just wondering where in the Bible it talks about Purgatory (I hope I'm spelling that right). Can anyone help?

2 Replies to Biblical backing for Purgatory

re: Biblical backing for Purgatory
By MaraschinoCherry
On Mon Sep 22, 2008 08:27 AM
Biblical concepts are a large part of the basis for the teachings about purgatory in Catholic Doctrine.
I'll outline these for you:
First, we will take it as a given that God is very holy.
Nothing unholy can enter Heaven. (Revelation 21 "But nothing unclean shall enter it")
And, after death, we will be judged.
1 Peter 1:15-17
"but as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct;
since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
And if you invoke as Father him who judges each one impartially according to his deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile."

2 Cor. 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive good or evil, according to what he has done in the body.

Mt 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgent men will render account for every careless word they utter.

Revelation 20:12-13 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Also another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, by what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead in them, and all were judged by what they had done.

People who commit mortal sin will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

1 Cor. 6:9-10 Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Eph 5:5-6 Be sure of this, that no immoral or impure or greedy person, that is, an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty arguments, for because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the disobedient.

Matthew 5:22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, 'Raqa,' will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, 'You fool,' will be liable to fiery Gehenna.
27-30 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.

Mark 9:42-28 "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe (in me) to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, 10 into the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'

But not all sins merit the fire of Gehenna. God is a forgiving God. (1 John 5:17 "All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.")

1 Corinthians 3:12-17

Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.

Lastly, purgatory can be inferred from a passage from Matthew:
"And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come" Mt 12:32.
So sins may be forgiven in the age to come, sins that men have died with. Men may die having committed sins of such a degree that they don't deserve hell, but they are not holy enough to enter heaven, they are still stained by sin. They must first be purified. Their sins must be atoned for before that man can enter heaven, thus the need for an inbetween place, for those not yet holy enough for heaven but not deserving of eternal damnation. This place is called by men purgatory.

God forgives, but we still need to atone for our sins. This can be done both on earth and in heaven. And sometimes he gives us no choice about atoning on earth: "[...]Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the LORD, the child that is born to you shall die." 2nd Samuel 12:14
re: Biblical backing for Purgatory
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 27, 2008 01:12 AM
Thanks heaps. I don't interpret those verses in the same way, but it's cool to see your interpretation of them.

What about Mary being sinless?

ReplySendWatch