Popular Teachers

Port de bras exercises by kr_WDance
Hi all, I have a few intermediate dancers that need help with port de bras- (3 with...

Forum: Arts / Acting

Acting
Monologues with accents. en>fr fr>en
By jivebunnymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1266, member since Tue Feb 17, 2004
On Thu Sep 25, 2008 08:21 AM

I am trying to find new monologues to learn, I have found a few good ones but they seem to have accents or set in America,Ireland etc.
Do you think I could use them and just perform with my own accent? (british, south)
I can do the accents but not particulary well and I dont want to mess up by doing a poor accent.
There is an open audition coming up for an independant theatre company which is what Im looking to use them for.
Not sure what to do, any advice would be great.
Thankyou.

6 Replies to Monologues with accents.

re: Monologues with accents. en>fr fr>en
By califeisgirl Comments: 2408, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 PM
If you can't do a accent solid, don't. Try to pick a monologue that is generic enough that it would work no matter where the character is from. Just because they might be from America or where ever, doesn't mean that is pertinant to the monologue...if that makes sense.
Also, very important, make sure it is appropriate for the age you are trying to achieve.
It's been stressed by every theatre teacher I've ever had.
Have fun!
By jivebunnymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1266, member since Tue Feb 17, 2004
On Thu Sep 25, 2008 02:08 PM
Thanks for that I was hopeing that would be the case.
Ive stayed away from monologues that have the accents in the writing, if you get what im saying? e.g. a glaswegian one I have has ' would ye have me dae?' so thats obvious that needs an accent, but the ones I am looking at are just written normally.
Yep ive made sure they are my age range.
By theri_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1244, member since Sat Aug 18, 2007
On Sun Sep 28, 2008 02:23 PM
Yeah. It's basically like unless the character says "I'm a New York girl, born and raised" or something like that where you need the accent, it's probably fine if you use your own. An accent can completely mess up a monologue if you can't do it without thinking about it.
By SongForTheAsking Comments: 114, member since Sun Sep 23, 2007
On Sun Sep 28, 2008 05:29 PM
All it takes is one tiny slip up with accent to completely shatter an audiences suspension of disbelief, or to ruin a good audition monologue ! When it comes to accents, if you can't do it perfectly, don't do it at all. If an accent is essential to the monologue, just pick another monologue, but if it isn't essential, just do it in your own accent. Good luck with the audition!!
By Kaela Comments: 1054, member since Fri Jul 29, 2005
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:32 AM
Argh! Glaswegian would be "Ack! Wot would ye hav me Doo?!", yours was alittle Irish, So at least you have Irish down! (Thats always the one I struggle with most, you know)

As others have said, Accents are great at creating a deeper aspects of your character's personality, but if you're not 100% confident that you have that accent down, then either reseacrh the accent and practice or drop it altogether.

I'm from the same part of the country as you, So why not focus on some local prose?

Could possibly work in your favour too :)

Kaela x
On Fri Nov 07, 2008 03:38 PM
Kaela, I literally copied that phrase from my monologue book and they state its glaswegian but after reading your interpretation I have to agree with you.
My accents start ok and then they descend i.e. starting in Irish and going to American accent. Not great realy.
I didnt even go to this particualr audition in the end but I want to use the monologue for future references.

ReplySendWatch