Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Philosophy
The Measure of a Man
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Sun Sep 28, 2008 05:36 PM

A person is known by his wallet, anger, and alcoholic beverage.

How much of this statement is true, and what makes it thus? I'll respond with my own thoughts after we get some discussion going here.

18 Replies to The Measure of a Man

re: The Measure of a Man
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2174, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:08 PM
in my opinion.. what someone does is not who they truly are inside. i think for people who only look at the surface of others, they might see a rich person, or someone who needs anger management, or an alcoholic.. but that is not who they are.. that's what they do.
By uketalimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1037, member since Fri Jun 03, 2005
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 03:06 PM
Well I don't agree with the alcoholic beverage part but to some respect a person can be known or defined by their wallet and especially their anger. I certainly wouldn't go judging people though on those three things alone. In terms of the wallet part I don't care if the person has a lot of money or very little but how he/she manages it. How one manages money can tell you if that person is generous or miserly or a spendthrift. How they handle money can be telling of how they handle other things in life.

In terms of anger, I'm sorry but I will judge a person that gets angry or loses their temper quickly if I see that it happens on a regular basis. That's a sign that they get upset easily and can't control their emotions. It can lead to violence and petty arguments. They often can't be reasoned with.

So to wrap up I don't really agree with the statement...no person can be known only by their money, anger and alcohol but you certainly can make a few observations based on those things. But I wouldn't characterize or judge a person on those things alone.
By amandalynn89 Comments: 153, member since Sat Mar 08, 2008
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 04:10 PM
About the alcoholic beverage.. I work in a restaurant that sells alcohol and there is a major difference between the man that will buy a schooner of beer and the one that will buy a vodka martini. But then again, that might have a lot to do with their wallets as well...
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 09:06 AM
Among some LARGE ethnic groups, the measure of a man is his ability to hold alcohol. I have no doubt that this is the only reason that National Prohibition failed in the USA.

But in any event, the three criteria that you suggested are culturally based, and not inherent to mankind.
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Tue Oct 14, 2008 07:13 PM
^^I'd love to hear you expand on that idea, madmilt.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Oct 15, 2008 06:57 PM
It was just a conclusion drawn from un-documented personal observation over the years, not any kind of precise experiment, so I'll have to decline the invitation to expand.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sun Oct 19, 2008 08:17 PM
what becomes of those men who do not carry wallet, or have access to alcohol?
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8306, member since Mon Apr 01, 2002
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:48 AM
^I don't know about you, but I'd sure as hell be an angry man..
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3641, member since Mon Jul 07, 2003
On Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:28 PM
I dont carry a wallet, and I dont drink. That just leaves anger I suppose. I am not quick to anger, but I am slow to calm down.

I always heard that shoes were the way to tell the character of a man. I wear boots or sandals. That about sums me up perfectly.

I heard that men treat their women like they treat their cars. That is very true in my case also. I cant imagine being without my Landcruisers. They play dirty yet always scrub up niiiiiice.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:22 AM
I'm poor at the moment, I'm always angry, and I like single-malt scotch. I don't know what that says about me, but I really can't wait until I can afford single-malt scotch again.
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8306, member since Mon Apr 01, 2002
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:47 AM
^ Did I write that?
re: The Measure of a Man (karma: 1)
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 02:47 AM
I'm dragging this back up because I had totally forgotten I'd posted it, and I never shared my thoughts on the quote.

I've always understood it less literally than some of the responses. What sort of spending ventures is a person prone to? Do they spend frivolously, beyond their means, or are they miserly? Do they invest wisely, or give generously? How quick are they to anger, and then to forgive or forget? Do they sweat the small stuff, hold grudges, and seek revenge?

As for alcoholic beverage, it's not so much what a person chooses to drink as how they drink it. When the inhibitions are dropped, what are the priorities? What inner truths are revealed?

In that light, I think it's a pretty accurate philosophy. We can learn a lot about a person when what actions they take on those three subjects.
re: The Measure of a Man (karma: 1)
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 01:23 PM
I don't believe any of these things measure a man. Money and alcohol are both material. Some people believe their preferences define them, but I believe that is an illusion that means nothing.

Anger is an emotion, and the act of harboring things from the past. This just further alienates everyone from each other.

I believe the true measure of man is how well s/he treats herself/himself, others, and every other living thing around him/her.
By flower_facePremium member Comments: 1587, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 01:34 PM
^^ I'll second that comment. I don't think my alcoholic beverage of choice says much about how decent a person I am, or am not.
Someone might choose to spend money on , for instance, a cd of music I detest, and it may reflect lack of similar taste , but not whether they are a decent sort of person.

I have to agree, it's far more about how people choose to treat others to me than the other stuff, like personal taste in what they buy, what they drink etc. If someone chooses to behave in a cruel manner, or a compassionate manner, and so on shows me far more about their character than whether they also drink white russians .
By Lombard Comments: 22, member since Wed Jul 15, 2009
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 05:34 PM
You're not your Job, you're not the money on your savings account, you're not the car you're driving, not the contents of your pocket, and not the clothing that you're wearing.

Everything you own, eventually owns you.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:36 AM
While "You can measure a man by his wallet/drink" is snappy, to follow your philosophy, the measure of a man is really how he relates to the people he sees and doesn't see. However, I really feel that even if we all pool our knowledge about how to measure a man and compare it against the 'absolute truth' of the matter. We know a penny's worth of the national debt. For now, we just do the best we can, with the information we know.
By Brian_K Comments: 11, member since Thu Apr 30, 2009
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:13 AM
I honestly couldn't care less about people who would judge me this way.
I am what I am to others, and also what I am to my self.
If I'm only a drink, a few bucks, and an expletive to someone, then who needs them?
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 04:13 PM
If you were to look at someone's check register or their credit card statement I think you could tell a lot about a person. Are they spending only on necessities and just getting by? Are they focused primarily on self-satisfaction with tons of indulgences? Are they re-investing in their community, their place of worship, their charities? But I don't think you can get a complete picture of that person, in fact, you might get the wrong idea. For example, the person who indulges a lot may be self-centered and hedonistic, OR they may be deservedly treating themselves for the very first time after a life of deprivation. The charitable person may indeed be very giving, OR they may just be competing with other church congregants to appear to be spiritual and yet are nasty to their loved ones at home.

As for drink - if one abstains I'm usually intrigued because there's typically a story or a stance behind that. If you measure a person by what they choose to drink then I don't think you can tell much because you are going by that person's personal branding, they want to be perceived a certain way by choosing a certain kind of drink (like what a car "says" about you). But it is revealing what a person is like when they have a few drinks in them. When the inhibitions come down you certainly may see a different person. The drunk martini guy and the drunk coors guy may in fact be very similar.

And anger - how a person handles strong emotions and how they approach the issues that make them angry certainly can give you insight into what they consider important. It can tell you about their limits, their coping skills, their maturity. And what is that they get angry about? Petty stuff? Righteous stuff?

I guess I would say then, that those three things - wallet, anger, drink - are just the tip of the iceberg when appraising a person, a stepping off point if you will. You could spend a lifetime on the measure of a man.

ReplySendWatch