Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: General

Teachers - General
Ideas for Christmas show costumes/outfits X posted en>fr fr>en
By Dancer904Premium member Comments: 3630, member since Sat Aug 16, 2003
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 07:35 AM

We are planning on putting on a Christmas show for the first time. It will be somewhat simple, held in an elementary school auditorium. I am looking for suggestions of what others do for costumes for their Christmas performances. I know they have holiday costume books but ordering costumes for this as well as the June recital is out of the question. Any ideas of cheap costuming or costumes that work with things we have?

4 Replies to Ideas for Christmas show costumes/outfits X posted

re: Ideas for Christmas show costumes/outfits X posted en>fr fr>en
By terpsidance Comments: 1247, member since Wed Sep 24, 2008
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 08:07 AM
I did an in school Christmas show during class time on the last week of Fall semester which is the middle of December for my school. I bought Santa Claus and elf hats from the $1 store and asked the dancers to wear green tights and their black leotards. I also put red felt cheeks on the dancers. I set little dances to instrumental Christmas music. Some with a rag time style, some more mannheim steamroller, new orleans jazz style.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 08:35 AM
I was thinking you could do Santa hats, elf hats, reindeer antlers. You can do red shirts and black pants,(or green shirts too). You could get T-shirts and have the students decorate them. That might not look all to uniform but its a cheap, quick way to do it! If you have a dance store nearby, check the prices for red or green leo's for the girls. If they have something affordable you can have them get leo's instead
By DisneyFanPremium member Comments: 3254, member since Mon Apr 30, 2007
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 09:26 AM
We have a studio Christmas show and party at each year at a high school in the neighborhood. Here are some ideas we use:

our "baby" classes - holiday dresses with tights and ballet or tap shoes

young students
Reindeer - antlers, painted noses, black leos with jazz pants or tights

"Frosty" and friends - Frosty in white turtleneck, white pants, scarf, and top hat - friends in jazz pants, Christmas sweaters or sweatshirts, hats and gloves

"Christmas Presents" - leotards and tights with tons of christmas bows pinned allover and a big one on their head

older students
red, green, and/or white turtlenecks and jazz pants

"Polar Express" - the conductor wore black pants and white shirt and tie, the "kids" wore jammies

we often use costumes or parts of costumes they have used in the previous recitals. I have a collection of seqiun sts and bolero jacets that I have them wear over leos and tights/jazz pants.
By DancerTonitePremium member Comments: 518, member since Mon Aug 22, 2005
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 AM
I've bought cheap tank tops before (red or green) at Steve N Barrys....and put that with their uniform black leotard and tan tights. Also done red and green scarfs from the dollar store. You can dance with jingle bells on...or dance around with garland as boas...you can have the kids wear all winter white with scarfs and gloves. You can do a lot with just sequins on leotards too...

ReplySendWatch