Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: So you didn't get the part: A guide to overcoming bad casting and bouncing back better than ever
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 03:22 PM
I know EXACTLY how that feels. Last year, for Nutcracker, I got the parts of; a party boy (in the opening scene, I'm a girl), a mouse/rat (all the girls in that scene were like 2 levels below me), and a Russian (again, the girls in that scene were 2 levels below me). I also got the part of a bonbon (a girl under Mother Ginger's skirt), which I was really happy about, until it got taken from me because of "costume issues" (the girl who got that part when I lost it was the same height, weight and shape of me). I ended up quitting, because it was making me more miserable than happy (and not to mention embarrassed- who wants to be a boy and do scenes with people way below our level?), but it also made me not want to try out this year, but I think I've changed my mind :)
re: So you didn't get the part: A guide to overcoming bad casting and bouncing back better than ever
By Deirdra Comments: 53, member since Sun Sep 13, 2009
On Fri Sep 18, 2009 09:44 AM
*bows down to poster* Thank you! Thank you! This is definitely going to help me! Thank you!
By TheDancerina Comments: 29, member since Sun Sep 20, 2009
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 05:48 PM
I agree, don't start crying in public, but I think it's definitely okay to cry when you're back home.

The worst experience I think I ever had, was my first experience...
I remember when I auditioned for "Clara" or "Marie" in the Nutcracker, and I didn't get the part. I was 10, and for some reason, I was so obsessed with that role, I had dreamed about it for months, maybe even a year before the actual auditions.

I messed up the first try and I was allowed to audition a second time. I could tell it wasn't perfect, but I still kept hoping and hoping. Anyway, when the judges were going to tell us who got the part, they went through a rundown of each person that auditioned and told them what they liked/didn't like about their performance. When they came to me, they told me something that they didn't tell anybody else. They said (in not the nicest way) that I "didn't have enough confidence" for the part, or to dance at all, that I looked too nervous, and I was seriously on the verge of breaking down. I felt so bad! Everybody else was corrected on something in the way the danced during part of the audition, but I was just left with complete discouragement. I remember my mom came and picked me up after that, and she saw me looking so upset. She thought that I was going to quit (I was only 10 at the time) and I was like "NO WAY!!" but I still had to go through a crying mode. But I didn't end up getting a party girl part and a polichinelle, and learned a lot though. Ever since then, I haven't cared about being in a main role. Now all I seriously care about is dancing, and I don't really even care which role I get. =)
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:44 AM
I liked the part "There's always next year." It's not the end of the world because you didn't get the part that day. Over time, with practice and dedication, you'll try the part again, and maybe this time you'll get it!
By PerfectFeet Comments: 342, member since Mon Feb 11, 2008
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 02:37 PM
After two rehearsals, I just quit my part because I had way too many issues with it and didn't like the choreography and felt overall neglected by the company. I am an adult and it was too hard for me to no intellectualize the implications of the casting. I won't get into it.

I'm not proud of what I did, and I know it will probably tarnish my image, but I just couldn't deal with the stress of what was going on. I'm sorry. I'm more apologizing to myself than anyone else, because I've let myself down. But I still think that might have been better than dealing with the situation I was in.

I even just cried my eyes out in an unintelligible mess over the phone to the director, so that's great. She doesn't sound mad at me, but that's because I think she knows that there is more to it than just the disappointment of the casting and that I've got a lot going on in my life right now that is really stressing me out.

Either way, I'm seriously depressed right now.
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 05:53 PM
Ouch. Hope you feel better.
By mollyballet4ev Comments: 31, member since Thu Mar 04, 2010
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 02:30 PM
SO true! I'll be sure to look at this next time I get a bad part! ;)
By enpointe809 Comments: 87, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Mon May 31, 2010 04:21 PM
Edited by enpointe809 (220952) on 2010-05-31 16:31:37
In last year's Nutcracker, I got a part that I thought was going to be fun, as it used to be a really challenging dance. I was really excited. Then, I realized that they had put a LOT of people in that dance and that I was a lot older (and a few levels ahead) of most of the girls. There were three of us who were in that situation. The dance turned out to be REALLY EASY!!! The rehearsals were boring,too. Still, we did our best, helped the other girls, and the instructor recognized that. This year, I dance 2 hours more (a major casting factor) and skipped a level, so now I am en pointe. I hope I get a good role. Remember that even if you get an easy part, do your best on it and the instructor will notice. Also, a teacher once told us that a great dancer can make tondus look great, so we should work on perfecting our easy dance instead of thinking it was too easy.

Comment #9522008 deleted

By ChainedLady Comments: 36, member since Fri Apr 25, 2008
On Sun Jul 03, 2011 01:12 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. It can also be applied to when you get cut from a part that you have worked hard to achieve.
Your quotes at the end of the second part of this really made me cry too. I just decided to make dance my second major and I have pretty much no support from anyone. My teachers gave me no advice, my mom give me no support and my bf is only thinking that it's going to interfere with us making a family together in the future. So the quote that said "When no one believes in you, believe in yourself" made me cry when I read it. THANK YOU!
God Bless you.
By ballerinazing101 Comments: 41, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 05:03 PM
Thank you so much you've made me feel so much better. The casting for the Nutcracker came out two days ago and the part that everyone thought I would get went to the favorite of the teacher and she cast me with someone who can't even get over the box of her pointe shoes! :(
By Dancindave08109 Comments: 15, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 PM
i agree casting is always difficult, you should remember that you will never understand the mind of a director no matter how hard you try.
By PixyN Comments: 30, member since Tue Jun 05, 2012
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 07:50 PM
Every audition they have personal preferences and it's individual and for example one director ma look for srength verses another who has presentation as the main element
By Ctine Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 19, 2012
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 02:25 PM
This is really great advice and from a good perspective!! Thanks! :)
By Mannywordofdance Comments: 4, member since Wed Sep 19, 2012
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone, that's an excellent one, it's really inspiring. It's another way to improve on my self
By LALALALAdance Comments: 5, member since Fri Oct 05, 2012
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 02:31 AM
Thank you for this!!! I would also like to add that sometimes, even if you are good for a part, the directer needs you more in another situation.
By MmeTrebleReeler Comments: 23, member since Sat Dec 22, 2012
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 03:58 AM
Great tips! This is just part of life as a dancer. I try to stay positive and determined to do whatever I can to help make the production run smoothly. If I don't get a big part, I use the extra time to help with scenery, costumes, pictures and little ones.
By ElizabethPerson Comments: 56, member since Wed Nov 10, 2010
On Sun Mar 03, 2013 03:54 AM
I think something important to remember is that you can be upset, and you absolutely have the right to feel disappointed. However, you cannot have a bad attitude in rehearsals and be nasty to the girl that got the part. The teachers will take notice, and they will not appreciate it. sometimes casting is going to be unfair, and sometimes you aren;t going to like it. You have to make the best of the part you got. Do such a great job that the teachers will really take notice. If you got into the corps of a piece but wanted to be a soloist, show the teachers that you can be a good corps member. Don't try to stick out because you want to be a soloist. Also, it might take time to get over feeling upset. It's easier said than done, but, just remember, that sometimes the world isn't fair. It stinks, but, you never know, you just may get the role next time :)
By BalletBrain Comments: 50, member since Tue Jan 01, 2013
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 07:38 PM
This is super helpful! I am currently working really hard for a good part in Nutcracker.
By DanceintheTARDIS Comments: 52, member since Thu Jun 27, 2013
On Sun Jun 30, 2013 04:04 PM
Oh this is a fantastic post, thank you! (three years after you posting it, but whatever). I have to say, I fully agree with going to your teacher/ whoever cast you, and asking why. It shouldn't be a confrontation, but ask how you can improve for next time. They'll remember this when it comes time for casting the following year, and it will definitely gain you respect, if you're polite about it. And, it will help you to become a better dancer! :)
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch