Forum: Arts / Religion

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Dance.netters: Please Think Before Posting (karma: 2)
By KayEllePremium member
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 03:00 PM
I understand that a child posted this with good intentions, etc. etc. And I'm not ragging on her here, this is my interpretation of why people may have not responded super positively.

DDN is a pretty loving place, right? I mean, compared to other forums on the internet, everyone here I assume makes an effort to be polite and kind in their answers to questions asking for advice. I know I do, most of the time (I'll admit, more than once I've posted while in a bad mood and that comes out in my comment but the vast majority of the time, I'm polite!).

And so when someone posts saying "hey guys, be nice and don't offend people," I kind of feel like I'm being chastised when I haven't done anything wrong! It's kind of like "well hey, when did I offend somebody's culture?! When did I make horrible remarks about other faiths?!" I didn't! And so I feel a little bit like a child who's being reminded over and over by their mother to be on their best behaviour at this party and I AM on my best behaviour, I AM, so quit reminding me! Does that make sense?

And the way the OP worded it kind of made it sound like "quit doing these awful things," and as a group, we haven't. You know?

And also it kind of did sound like a play for karma. Which annoys me.

Anyway, just saying that's how it came off to me.
re: Dance.netters: Please Think Before Posting (karma: 1)
By m_rc
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 03:00 PM
VelvetRagamuffin wrote:

If it looks like a duck. . .

Fascist.
re: Dance.netters: Please Think Before Posting
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 05:51 PM
KayElle, she said "The majority of the Members on here are Lovely and wouldn't do this but there is some horrible people out there"...so I don't see how this could sound like her saying that she is telling this community to quit doing things.

I just think it's a little stupid to sit here and mock a post written by a young kid that is trying to spread a positive message. Yeah, we might be 20+ and have heard this message A LOT in life...but it's still a positive meaning.

I don't know the OP but I do know that at 12, I, like a good amount of girls my age, was sensitive. I would have done a post like this just to spread a good message I might have heard that day and if it was mocked and hijacked...I'd feel really stupid. So, what's the purpose? She's not harming anyone.

Aren't we supposed to not be hijacking threads anyways?
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 06:07 PM
Well when I was 12, I didn't even have the internet, but that's beside the point.

I think it's great that the OP has no qualms about posting in a board dominated by older members (I wouldn't have), but at the same time, there's a lot to be said for doing your research. If we'd been getting out of hand here, then yes, a reminder might have been good. But I would imagine that anyone who's read enough threads here would already know that the people who post here are overall a pretty good bunch, even if we are prone to a little sarcasm at times. ;)

Basically, it's like preaching to the choir. I know that 12-year-olds can be sensitive, and you're bound to get slammed if you say something like that to the people who need to hear it... but I think it's more worthwhile to do that than to state the obvious to people who for the most part have already mastered it.

As an aside, and at the risk of sounding holier-than-thou... I find it curious that it takes an RE class to teach people tolerance. I always thought it was common sense.... But hey, I generally thought that my RE classes were a waste of time (reading the same stories in the Gospel year after year gets a little boring... even a different section of the Bible would've been welcome), so if they're worthwhile for somebody, I guess that's a good thing!
By KayEllePremium member
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 06:30 PM
Well if the majority of the community is lovely and wouldn't do it, and those "horrible people" who supposedly would insult an entire culture are not likely to listen to some random member's reminder to please be nice, then I still don't understand how this post is helpful.

Like I said, I know it was posted with good intentions and the OP is a child, etc. but like Puss_in_Boots said, it's pretty much preaching to the choir.

OP: High five on the nice try. I hope you're not discouraged by this hijacking or whatever else is going on and that you keep posting. It's often a good idea to read up on some other posts on the board as well just to make sure that what you're saying isn't either repetitive (which I've certainly done before) or unnecessary (been there too).
By Miss_Wolfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 PM
"Who responded meanly (is that a word?)? When someone states something obvious, regardless of age, are we supposed to give them karma (for which this post is OBVIOUSLY fishing), pat them on the back, and tell them "good job?""

Hey now! You don't have to give the kid Karma, just don't rag on her for it! =P Geeze, I don't like karma-fishing either but come on now! D= Perhaps this would have gone better if someone had politely explained to the kid that these things had already been said before, and though it is nice to share what she's learned in school, it can come off as fishing for compliments/karma.

The End.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch