Popular Ballet

I would LOvE to find a ballet partner! by csontow
Hello! I am a young guy who has always wanted to try taking ballet. I began with some classes and...

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Health & Nutrition
Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? en>fr fr>en
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12253, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 AM

Sorry, just complaining...

I've been healing from a back injury and just when it has started to get better... allergy season arrives. I've been sneezing my head off and my usual allergy meds don't seem to be working. I've been sneezing so hard that my back is all messed up again! When I feel one coming on I tense up because I know it's going to hurt and that makes it worse. I'm scared to sneeze!!

:(

30 Replies to Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back?

re: Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? en>fr fr>en
By delinquent Comments: 1129, member since Thu Jul 08, 2004
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 AM
oh lord do i!
I had a very severe case of bronchitis, and from my constant hard coughing (coughing so hard I could have choked myself! ugh!) I tore muscles from my shoulders down to my hips, my ribs were bruised as well- or fractured? Something. Anyhow, it was nasty.

My advice is cold packs/hot baths, anti-inflamitories, and red wine.

Take care of yourself!
re: Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? en>fr fr>en
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2115, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 PM
Oh man, YES, and I hate it!

I have asthma that is really bad with colds/viruses so when I get one, I cough so hard i pull muscles frequently and it hurts!!! I've been told that heat/cold packs are the best help, also tylenol or advil for the pain.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25785, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:26 PM
I sneezed once when I was bending over and it really hurt my back. I was sore for about a day. Apparently you can really hurt yourself doing that.
re: Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 06:16 PM
I've always been afraid to sneeze while peeing, like my bladder will fall out and into the toilet.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 06:20 PM
I feel you! I tend to do that a lot lately, ever since I hurt my back in winter. And I hurt it just in time for flu season, which sucked.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 06:24 PM
I never have personally, but my aunt did a few weeks ago. She finally went to the doctor, because she just couldn't stand it anymore, and her doctor was like "Um, rest to get over your cold, but don't rest too long, because it'll bother your back."

Like...uh, thanks?
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10998, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 07:17 PM
Yes...and I've always wet myself from sneezing/coughing too hard. :P

*gives D4J a gentle hug*
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8709, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 07:41 PM
I sneezed, and wet my pants.

A friend of mine had a horrible bout of coughing, and broke a bone.

She is a smoker and has ahsma.

argh! Can't spell.

S.
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 727, member since Thu Jan 03, 2008
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 08:05 PM
I have asthma and horrible allergies. Every year I get 4 sinus infections, like clockwork....This year I was really having a rough sinus infection and I coughed so hard that I pulled a muscle in my back and actually BRUISED my sternum! I literally had black and blue bruises on my chest....it was AWFUl!
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 08:52 PM
Don't tense up! Tensing up makes things worse!

...if that helps at all, haha.
By Meg_ Comments: 359, member since Sat Nov 18, 2006
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 08:58 PM
Shadowsong wrote:

I sneezed, and wet my pants.

A friend of mine had a horrible bout of coughing, and broke a bone.

what did she break, if you don't mind my asking? :?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:05 PM
My sister sneezed so hard that she actually did something to one of the discs in her spine - I can't remember the medical term for it, but she basically squished all the goop that is supposed to be in a disc, out one side. She was in pain for months and it took her probably about 18 months or so before she could really dance again.

Helen
re: Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2112, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:15 AM
Yep, and intercostals, too. Ouch. I feel for you. Have you tried the acupressure point on your philtrum? When I'm interpreting it comes in very handy. Place your index finger, palm side to your face, vertically down your philtrum (the dent between the septum and the middle of the cupid's bow of your top lip) and press evenly and firmly until the impulse to sneeze has passed. You feel the pressure on your upper front gum, near the lip string. It usually only takes a second or two, or it wouldn't be possible to do in between signing.
By AymeePremium member Comments: 1072, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:46 AM
Not personally, but my Mum has broken a rib from sneezing. Twice.
Yeah, about the only thing I did was just about wet myself...

Comment #7625200 deleted
Removed by Aymee (152430) on 2008-10-09 03:28:21 Double Post

By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 05:39 AM
No...But I've caused many muscle spasms from coughing during my time being sick this year.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12253, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 09:51 AM
Wow! Broken ribs? Pulled discs? TORN muscles? Who knew sneezing could be so violent?

Thanks for the acupressure point, tassiemum. I will try that.

:)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:04 AM
Oh yeah. I get bronchitis just about every winter, and last winter it developed into pneumonia as well, the coughing got so bad that I bruised my ribs and had constant muscle pain in my upper abdomen area.
re: Have you ever sneezed/coughed so hard that you pulled a muscle in your back? (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 03:09 PM
My dad sneezed so hard he set off a burglar alarm once.

Kind of irrelevant, but it was very amusing at the time :)
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1493, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 07:25 PM
Yes..amongst other things. I had really really bad bronchitis for about 2-3 weeks this past winter and had a really really violent cough (so hard it could knock you off of a chair)..during the course of that I cracked a couple ribs, bruised my sternum, had 30-40 asthma attacks, pulled a muscle in my mid-back, and pulled muscles in my upper abdomen..it was sooo not fun.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2064, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Tue Oct 14, 2008 04:53 PM
I have sneezed so hard that I have cracked my back. I have also sneezed so hard I've wet my pants too. But no, I have never pulled anything before.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8709, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Oct 14, 2008 05:09 PM
Meg, I couldn't believe it either. She broke one of her vertebrae. She had to take extra calcium, and her chest was wrapped.

It was unbelievable. I went down there, and the usual smoking haze was in the apartment, and here she is, with this kind of velcro, thing around her trunk.

Of course, she didn't stop smoking, or stop coughing.. but now she is taking calcium and Citrical, which is good.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7167, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 AM
Oh oh! I have!...I did it by of all things LAUGHING!

My friend and I (I was visiting her in Florida) were surfing you-tube laughing hysterically at Jeff Dunham....when I started to laugh SO hard I pulled a muscle in my back!

It took MONTHS for that pain to completely go away.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:40 AM
^Now THAT I have done. Uh, it sucked.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch