Forum: Arts / Religion

higher power
By lolli_b_1
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 06:34 AM

Hi

I am going to try and explain my issue as best as I can without confusing you (or me), so here goes:

The past few years have been a living hell for me emotionally, I suffered a miscarriage, my sister lost her fight with breast cancer and left 3 girls under the age of 10, my marriage fell apart, I was homeless and struggling financially as well as a million other minor things...

I was brought up as Catholic however, since I was teenager I don't really believe in the bible etc but when reading self help books, they continually refer to a higher power?

Although I don't believe in the God and the bible etc, I do believe in a power greater than myself and have came to the conclusion that this power is fate or some form of spiritual guidance, I just dont' know!

I would really like to know if anyone else has struggled with something similar or if they think of a higher power as something other than God?

Sorry for rambling and I hope this makes sense!!

love n stuff

lorraine x

6 Replies to higher power

re: higher power
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 07:24 AM
I don't believe that a 'higher power' is flawed, but I feel a lot of 'religions' are flawed, so I try hard to have as little to do with organised religion as possible. I'm pretty interested in some of the forms of divination - palmistry, astrology, tarot. I've got a pretty good intuition and am trying to learn how to listen to it/understand what it's trying to tell me better as time goes by.

I do believe in a higher power, and I communicate with it regularly. I'm a fairly flippant person and I like to believe my higher power appreciates that, so literally, I talk ;) I also ask for help when I need it. I feel I'm generally very well taken care of :)

(Although I also believe in the power of free will and positive thoughts)
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 09:06 PM
^ She said it. Although I don't tend to talk to it. Just because I'm not a talk-y kinda person.

Basically, the way I see it, religion is a man-made effort to explain spiritual matters (and other things, too), therefore it most likely isn't going to be perfect, just because we don't know for sure. So, I prefer to bypass all that, and just get down and dirty with whatever the higher power happens to be. :]

I don't know how well I'm looked after, but I do know that since leaving Christianity I've kick-started my spiritual journey, and only after deciding not to try to stick to any religion whatsoever have I really felt the most comfortable with myself.
By askling
On Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:04 PM
Well to be honest with you I don't believe with what a lot of the Catholic church says, but thats an argument for another day. I could go on and on listing the reason that God is real but the easiest one to show is for you to look at the upper half of your arm. How could that have not been created? If you put your faith in the bible and on God you put your faith on a solid rock than on sinking sand. Thats just my option of course.
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 05:34 AM
askling wrote:

I could go on and on listing the reason that God is real but the easiest one to show is for you to look at the upper half of your arm. How could that have not been created?

Evolution?

Other people may choose to believe that their god created them in contemporary human form from the get-go... but me? I'm convinced there are monkeys in my family.
By lolli_b_1
On Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:43 PM
Thanks very much for your replies...

agree with you glitterfairy, think there is a few monkeys in mine also lol :)

i have settled and feel comfortable now as thinking of my higher power as being my own spirit (although hopefully a bit smarter than the human form) and suppose i am learning that in life there are no solid answers or conclusions its just part of the journey i suppose.

love n stuff

lorraine x
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 PM
I don't really believe in God or a higher power, however I do believe in the Quaker concept of the "inner light." en.wikipedia.org . . .

The inner light is the "God within you," so I kind of think of it as a force that flows through the universe and through everyone and kind of connects everything together. To get even more abstract, you could describe the force/light as "love," because that's what life's all about.

It's all a bit hippie for me, but that's what I kinda sorta believe in.

ReplySendWatch