Forum: General / Success Stories

Success Stories
My Own Dancing Sucess Story...
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Sat Oct 11, 2008 08:31 PM

Hi! I am a late starter in ballet and dance. I did do it when i was 4-6, but really it doesn't count for much. I then did acting, and then Drill (Marching!) Marching is a world away from ballet. Ballet is soft, marching is stiff and upright.

So I started right at the end of 2005, when i was almost 14. I started in grade 3 ballet, and grade 4 jazz. I didnt do very much, but enough to receive a "best new starter" trophy at the end of that year!

Unfortunately we had to move house, so i had to leave that dance school. I arrived at a new school, with just 1 term (10 weeks) until exams started. The teacher at this school is so nice, and let me take as many classes as i liked, including little kid classes, to improve. I was officially in Grade 4 ballet, and Grade 5 jazz. But i decided it would be best to take grade 1 jazz exam, but still took the grade 4 ballet exam. I got Honours Distinction for jazz, and Pass Plus for ballet. I also had a solo that year at comps and in the concert.

The next year (2007), I skipped a level in jazz, putting me in grade 3, and decided to take grade 5 ballet exam. I got Honours for jazz, and Commended for ballet. I also did a Demi Charatcer solo and a modern solo.

The next year (THIS year), i decided to take more exams (4!) I took Grade 6 ballet (my very first senior exam!), grade 4 jazz, grade 5 jazz, and grade 1 hip hop. I got Honours Distinction for both jazz grades, Honours for hip hop, and Pass Very Good for ballet. I got the jazz exam trophy (highest in the school). I also did a modern solo and a jazz solo.

Next year in January i'm going to Summer School. Next year I plan on taking my Elementary jazz exam, as well as minor solos for jazz and ballet, maybe hip hop grade 2 and 3, but not ballet. I need 2 years for pre elementary.

I feel so pround of myself. DDN has really helped me get to where i am now. All of the advice you can get from here, all of the help, when your feeling down, when you are feeling great, people are always here to lend a hand!

11 Replies to My Own Dancing Sucess Story...

re: My Own Dancing Sucess Story...
By tiny_dancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1682, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 07:36 AM
Congrats! :)
I think hearing stories like this is really inspiring to the dancers who started late. I know there's a lot of people that say they can't start now...but you did! Congratulations again!!

tiny
By Marie_Claire Comments: 172, member since Thu Oct 23, 2008
On Thu Oct 23, 2008 03:56 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishments! I am a late starter myself, and hope to achieve as much as you have in such a short time. Good for you. Keep dancing,

Marie
By LittledancerJessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1892, member since Tue Nov 25, 2008
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 AM
Congratulations on your achievements you have done so well

Zoe & Jess
xxx
By missbliss Comments: 28, member since Sun Dec 23, 2007
On Mon Dec 22, 2008 08:31 PM
That is quite fantastic, congratulations! And i am wholly jealous because i have a similar situation with my dance and so want to just be fantastic, again CONGRATULATIONS!!
By Cliffbella Comments: 146, member since Tue Dec 16, 2008
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 05:56 PM
thanks for sharing your story! Very inspiring! I'm a late starter, and this really helped me! thanks again!
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Wed Feb 11, 2009 01:50 PM
Very inspiring ballet can be quite hard
By pam1606 Comments: 15, member since Sun Feb 08, 2009
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 06:08 AM
Thats brilliant, congradulations I love ballet but haven't done it for nearly 10 years lol. God i'm getting old.

pxx
By Rubberband17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1578, member since Sat May 19, 2007
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 05:26 PM
Wow it sounds like you have worked hard to be where your at, and I'm glad things are going well for you. I love working my way to the top whether its in dance, work, or just life in general. Its so fulfilling.
By DanceMum10 Comments: 110, member since Wed Feb 25, 2009
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 01:11 AM
Wow, thats fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and wishing you all the best for the future.
By Cliffbella Comments: 146, member since Tue Dec 16, 2008
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 04:23 PM
That's great! I'm going to bookmark this page! I started ballet in February, (I used to do it for a yr when I was 5.)When I was five, the ballet teacher was so strict that I ended up crying and quitting ballet. I'm now almost 14, and I hope I can achieve a lot too! :D
By Dancingstep Comments: 22, member since Thu Mar 19, 2009
On Sat May 30, 2009 05:29 AM
Wow, that's so cool:) I'm still finding the courage to go for actual ballet lessons instead of at school:)

ReplySendWatch