Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: The In's and Out's of Contemporary Ballet
By Ms_A_Kitri Comments: 239, member since Fri Mar 25, 2011
On Sun Jul 10, 2011 01:14 PM
I don't know if someone else has already said this but isn't Ceder Lake a contemporary ballet company?
By WeLiveLaughDance Comments: 27, member since Tue Jul 17, 2012
On Thu Aug 02, 2012 06:53 AM
I had no idea what exactly contemporary ballet was, until this post. I might
try it sometime. *Marie* :D
By melanie1945 Comments: 21, member since Thu Jun 11, 2009
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 01:50 PM
Contemporary ballet is always so beautiful, I've tried multiple times to explain to people the difference between contemporary ballet, ballet and lyrical but I feel like you worded it very well. Thanks!
By Mannywordofdance Comments: 4, member since Wed Sep 19, 2012
On Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:26 AM
That was really nice and helpful. I do love contemporary ballet, and thanks for d post.
By Roseweave Comments: 102, member since Mon Apr 29, 2013
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 PM
Edited by Roseweave (258568) on 2013-07-10 22:06:25
What would you call something that uses the looseness and expanded technique of Contemporary Ballet, but with the storytelling of classical ballet?

The storytelling/fairy tale element is really what draws me to ballet over other forms of dance, but I like the idea of having less strict rules and incorporating more modern dance.
By ElleMcG Comments: 266, member since Sat Apr 13, 2013
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 PM
here are several ballet companies that perform the classics in a new funky contemporary way. ovation tv aired Nutcracker every week during the 2012 holiday season and there was one in particular that was very creative and new. i would say any form of dance can tell a story. Ballet, modern, contemporary or hip hop. if you can check out some of those nutcrackers, even just to breeze through, you might find it interesting.
By Roseweave Comments: 102, member since Mon Apr 29, 2013
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 06:38 AM
Yeah, that sounds like fun.

I can't really into full proper classical ballet but I still like the fairy tale element to it. Something that used more of the philosophy and technique of Contemporary with the story telling of classical would be perfect for me to get involved in. That's the sort of thing I hope to score some day, maybe dance in myself if I get to that level.

I hope to make the idea of an "Indie Ballerina" a thing, lol.
By ElleMcG Comments: 266, member since Sat Apr 13, 2013
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 AM
And, yes Cedar Lake IS a contemporary ballet company. One of the top contemporary companies in the country.
By TrockaderTrainee Comments: 81, member since Wed Apr 23, 2014
On Mon Nov 16, 2015 05:43 PM
Can someone proffer Youtube clips illustrating the difference? I still don't understand.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sat Nov 28, 2015 01:16 AM
TrockaderTrainee wrote:

Can someone proffer Youtube clips illustrating the difference? I still don't understand.

I think you may be better served attending live performances in order tobest exoerience and learn to appreciate what's similar and wht's different between various idioms. Your 'understanding' will evolve. It can be partly an emotional response that is not conveyed well through the medium of video, some would assert.
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 06:07 PM
Thanks for taking the time to create this description! I would also say that Jazz plays a big role in contemporary, at least in my area of the world (Maine).
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch