Poll: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3
when did you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"?
By NASCARdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:36 AM

I read to kill a mockingbird in 7th grade and I think it was the perfect time to read it. I really liked it. hOwever, now I am supposed to read it again in 10th grade and I am going to try to get by without reading it again. Please share your experiances and opinions on this book!

74 Replies to when did you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"?

re: when did you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"?
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:30 AM
I read it first in 6th grade, but I don't know that I picked up all the subtlty. I re-read it for another class (don't remember which) and liked a whole lot more the second time.

The same thing happened when I had to read tale of two citites in 10th grade, then read it again to tutor a student when I was a sophmore in college.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:08 AM
I first read it by myself in 4th grade, and then as a school assignment in 6th grade. It's been my favorite book since the first time I picked it up :)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:09 AM
It was at some point in junior high for me, I think. I read it again in high school too, and I think most of my classmates got a lot more out it at that age than those I read it with the first time. I think you should read it again- your brain has changed a lot in three years and I think you'd be surprised about the different things you'd find in the book (or any book) this time around.

I recently had a similar thing happen, actually. I'm 21 and at university, and one of my required readings for my English class is one that I read back in high school (so, say, six years ago or so) and I have a completely different opinion of it now than I did when I read it the first time. I couldn't believe it.
By DeeDeesPremium member
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:18 AM
No Idea what grade as school years are different here but I was 14/15?
I must read again but I remember being one of the few in class that enjoyed it.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 09:37 AM
not at all, but it's definitly on my reading list (which is very long)
By mediocre_rock
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 AM
I read it on my own in about 3rd grade, but of course I had no idea what it was about. I read it again I think in high school at some point...
re: when did you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"? (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 03:24 PM
I've actually never read it. I somehow managed to get around it in both high school and college.
By undercoverdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:27 PM
Um...I feel like a total nerd, but I read it by choice in 3rd grade. It's still one of my favorite books in 9th grade. :)
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 25, 2008 01:25 PM
Edited by x_Nic_x (180714) on 2008-10-25 13:27:04
Year 11, so I put 11th Grade, but I think Year 11 might actually be 10th grade in America...? Well anyway, I did it as part of my English GCSE in my final year at secondary school. We watched the old movie as well, and me and my friend LOVED Dill. He was the funniest looking child we ever saw, and that made him so hilarious and loveable! Also, when Scout got pushed over and rolled around in a ham costume... LOL.

Sorry if anyone thinks we're treating great literature immaturely, but you've got to admit, it had some perks. I did love the book as a whole.
By dancingincereal
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:48 AM
i read it in 10th grade, in english class.

it was by far my favorite required reading book.
By DDCdancerx
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 AM
I read the book in 7th grade, and I found it quite interesting.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 06:48 PM
Roughly about year 8, so 13/14. I still have and read my battered copy from highschool.
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 08:27 PM
I read it in Honors English in 9th grade. One of my favorite books! Very important for high schoolers to read I think.
By punkgirl59
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 PM
All of the above. It's one of my all time favorite books. In fact, I'm rereading it right now. I've read it a million times.

I told my boyfriend I want to name our little girl Scout. And my brother just named his dog Boo after Boo Radley.

Great book!

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By kaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 PM
It's actually one of my current reading books. I'm in 9th grade english h. I read the first chapter, it's pretty good so far. :)
By Ballerina_Jess
On Tue Oct 28, 2008 01:56 AM
I never HAD to read it but i read it earlier this year at age 20.
By ali_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 28, 2008 04:17 AM
I read it in Year 9 (in Australia- I'm not sure if thats the same as ninth grade..?)
By caussynmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 01:58 AM
I read it for the first time in 5th grade, though I don't remember being able to pick up the more complex plots of the book. I started reading it fairly often, almost annually in 7th grade.
By cheerleader_1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:10 PM
I read it in 10th grade. My English teacher that year was also in charge of all the drama plays and everything at school so after we finished reading the book she made us all pick a character to dress up as and then she "interviewed" us about the book for part of our grade. We also brought in "southern" food and had to talk in southern accents! Haha
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:34 PM
I read it in 9th grade and it actually really affected me. I really like it as a book and I also think the underlying messages are very important, especially for kids. I'm glad it's so widely taught since it promotes justice, tolerance, personal dignity and many other values which have a tendency to get lost in today's society.
By Merfi
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:48 PM
I read it when I was in Year 10, I think that's the same as 9th grade in the US? I didn't have to read it, I read it because I wanted to. :D
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 01:33 PM
I was supposed to read in in 8th grade history, but then we got a new teacher, and therefore a new curriculum oddly enough. So I never read it, but I own it. My 12 year old sister is reading it now.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:52 PM
Grade 11. I'm actually reading it right now. We just started and read chapter 1 and that's it so far.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:22 AM
I never HAD to read it (I think you do next year though?) but I read it in Grade six. I kinda liked it. it was quite sad though :( I liked the message of it though.
Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch