Forum: Arts / Religion

Being Baptized into Catholic...
By Dance_Forcemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 07:51 PM

Hi, I am planning on being baptized to be officially catholic, in 1st grade i went to a catholic church, and my grandma is catholic. So i am catholic, i just want to make it official.

So i am just wondering, what does is take to become baptized?

and How long does it usually take?

I am going to go speak to someone at the church about it with my mom soon.

Thank you in advance,

Jessica

9 Replies to Being Baptized into Catholic...

re: Being Baptized into Catholic...
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 08:24 PM
First off, you haven't been to a Catholic Church since 1st grade? How much do you know about the faith? Have you gone to any church since then? When one becomes baptised it is because they truly believe in God and understand and believe in the beliefs of their chosen faith. I hope that you are not looking into this just so you can have the title of Catholic, it is something that should become part of you and your life. I just want to make sure that you're doing this for the right reasons.

(I myself am Christian, but not Catholic. So I unfortunately don't know everything, my Mum's family is, however, so I am not totally ignorant. Just saying.) I think that to become baptised into the Catholic Church you will have to go and talk to a priest and start on Bible studies, or some sort of study to get you ready. You won't be baptised right away, it will take a bit of time. I think Catholicism is a bit more intense than other Christian denominations and requires more commitment to Mass, learning rosary (is it still used?) and the various prayers; Our Father, Hail Mary, and so on and so forth.

I know that just because your family is Catholic, it doesn't make you one as well, and it doesn't mean that you have to follow that path. For sure go and talk to someone at the Church, learn all that you can about the faith, but really think about it and make sure that it is something that you TRULY believe in, it's not a decision to make lightly.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:14 PM
TeenDancer, very good advice. Really all I can do is cement this. I attended a Catholic school from 6 years, and my family is Catholic, so I chose to be baptised at age 8.

First things first, discuss this with your parents as religious choices can have a strong impact on your family, either positive or negative.

You've already stated that you were going to discuss this with someone at the church, I would recommend a nun or the priest. The church should be listed in the phone directory, I reckon either call first... or better yet, go to Mass and speak to the priest after the sermon.

The Baptism itself is a short ritual involving being anointed by a couple of sacred oils and holy water, it usually doesn't last more than five minutes and can be incorporated into the mass.

Now, you can chose how devoted you are to the church, be it memorising all the prayers or becoming more involved in church activities. Yes, The Lord's Prayer, Hail Mary, The Nicene Creed and the Rosary are all still used (my parents got each other the beads to hang beside their bed with their prayer books just a few years ago).

Good luck.

Mark
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:31 PM
It there a different protocol for baptism or is there confusion between Baptism, first communion and confirmation.

My infant grandson is going to be baptized in two weeks at a Catholic Church. He is four months old. He brother was baptisted at a similar age in the Catholic church. He dad is Catholic, my daughter (the mom) is Lutheran.

In this area, most Christian churches do infant Baptism, including the Roman Catholics. I'm Lutheran, and we do the same thing. There are some exceptions. The Baptists do it at roughly the age of 12 and by full immersion. I believe the Disciples of Christ and the Seventh-Day Adventist do older Baptisms [My knowledge of that is only because I play in orchestras that perform at these churches and the SDA church where we did a concert last year and the Disciples Church which is the home for our orchestra (though not part of the ministry) both have large baptismal fonts, big enough for full immersion.

I'm curious to know what other denominations do.

In this area, Catholics have First Communion at ages roughly 8 or 9. I don't know if they have confirmation. In my Lutheran church, you take a couple years of religious instruction during the middle school years and have a confirmation ceremony at the conclusion of that at which point you are a full member of the church. First Communion is also done at roughly the same time. It was on the next Sunday for me.

Jon
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:54 PM
Jessica - Congratulations on wanting to become baptized! :) The time and preparation it takes to become baptized varies slightly between parishes and dioceses, so talking to your priest would be the best thing to do. Good luck!

Jon - Infant baptism is very common in the Catholic church. However, a person of any age can be baptized into Catholicism. The typical first Communion age is around 7 and the Confirmation age around 15. Sometimes when it is an adult being baptized, they can receive their baptism, first Communion, and Confirmation all at the same Mass. Really it just depends on your age and how much you have prepared for each ceremony.
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 03:16 PM
TeenDancer16: I have attended church a lot of times since then, I was just stating that that's what i did, and i truly want to become a true catholic. I want this with all my heart. Thank you all for all the things.

I will give you an update on everything Wednesday after i go to the church and speak with the people there.

Jessica
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 05:37 PM
Sorry for posting another comment but i failed to mention that in 1st grade i went to a catholic school sorry about that i thought i made that clear :) lol

O and i am 15 if that matters much

Jessica
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:14 PM
High Kick,

Baptism at any age seems to be permitted in most Christian denominations. While infant baptism is the norm in my church (Lutheran) we have had numerous adult baptisms as well, particularly someone of no particular religion joining our church after marrying a congregant. We have also had an adult baptism when a new member of our church could not find any evidence that she had ever been baptised and had no living relative close enough to find out or confirm that fact.

My church also acknowledges baptisms from other faiths. My father was baptized Catholic but was essentially a life-long Lutheran. His mom (my grandmother) was Catholic and spirited him off to a priest because his father, a Protestant of some nature, had his older brother baptized without her knowledge. Need I say that they were ultimately divorced. My father became an active Lutheran about the age of confirmation because most of his friends were Lutheran. My mom's family seems to have been Lutheran dating almost to the time of Luther. [In my hometown it was virtually all Catholic or Lutheran in about equal numbers with only a sprinkling of people in other denominations. This was largely ethnically driven. Poles, Czechs and Irish were, of course, Catholics as were some Germans from South Germany and Austria. The majority of ethnically Germans living there were from Northern or Eastern Germany or German speaking kingdoms which preceded the creation of the German Empire and were either Lutheran (most) or Reformed. Virtually all of our ancestors came to the area in the mid-late 19th century and were considered Prussians. We also had a large Norwegian presence and they were virtually all Lutheran. Although I am virtually 100% German, I went to a church that was historically Scandanavian.] Because Lutherans in that town tended to marry other Lutherans, it was quite possible to remain a totally ethnic German for generations. My wife is likewise all German and obviously so are my kids. My kids ended the chain. My daughter married an Irish Catholic and my son married a Catholic (sort of) with a wide mix of European ancestry.

Jon
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:29 PM
Very interesting information Jon.

It is also the same in the Catholic church; they recognize baptisms from other churches and denominations. For instance, if you have been baptized a Luthern, Methodist, Baptist, etc. you cannot be "rebaptized" as a Catholic. You can, however, be confirmed as a Catholic even if you have been confirmed in another Christian faith.
By MrsFinnigan
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 04:12 PM
I would suggest talking to a priest, a religious education coordinator, or a youth minister about RCIA, or more likely in your case, RCIC.

The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (or Children) should take you through everything you need to know over months of preparation. There will be some huge advantages. You'll have a sponsor help you through the process. You'll be preparing with many others, and sharing the occasion of your Baptism, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation with all of them as well as everyone present at the Easter Vigil Mass.

ReplySendWatch