Poll: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
What year did you first have to read a Shakespeare play?
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:31 AM

Curious to when you first had to read a Shakespeare play at school. I had to read first one in Year 8.

82 Replies to What year did you first have to read a Shakespeare play?

re: What year did you first have to read a Shakespeare play?
By TobyInWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1142, member since Sat Mar 29, 2008
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:50 AM
I was in grade seven and I had to remember the whole thing, but I didn't :)
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 04:05 AM
I think it was Year 10. I mean, we did look at Macbeth in Year 9, but I don't remember having to actually read that... anyway, in Year 10, I had to read Much Ado About Nothing. I'm not a fan of Shakespeare, but I did love that play.
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1375, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 04:22 AM
I read/studied Macbeth in year 9, however we look at Romeo and Juliet in year 7 but eh. We did Othello this year.

By last_slowdance22 Comments: 188, member since Sun Aug 19, 2007
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 07:25 AM
12th. We read Hamlet. In my school if you had a certain teacher you read Julius Caesar in 10th, I didn't have that teacher. So far I've had to read two more plays in college.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:29 AM
Julius Caesar in 10th grade, Hamlet in 12th. I took Speech Arts in 11th grade in lieu of English. We got English credit for it.

I later read all 39 plays in college in a two semester Shakespeare course. There are many plays that really could be ignored (Titus, Pericles, the three Henry VI plays and several others).

I always felt that English classes put too much emphasis on Shakespeare as a reading drill and not enough on the drama.

Were I an English teacher (something I actually trained to be) I would introduce one of the comedies in early middle school. I would introduce Romeo and Juliet at the same age as Juliet was in that play (two weeks short of her 14th birthday.)

The only real excuse for studying Julius Caesar as the first play (aside from the Marc Anthony speech) is that there is utterly no sex in the play, real or implied and that seemed to be important when I was in high school nearly 50 years ago (It was actually 51 years that I encountered JC.) Times have changed and we should no longer deny that such a thing as sex exists. Kids know about it anyway (or should.)

I would also emphasize that how many current dramas, plays, TV shows, sitcoms actually owe much to Shakespeare's plays. Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story is the obvious one. Any play with mistaken identities has many Shakespearean overtones. Parent/child conflicts (Hamlet, Lear), Play acting on the part of a character to hide the true noble character and dupe people into thinking someone is a wastrel, only to prove everyone wrong later (Prince Hal in the two Henry IV plays contrasted to Henry V.) The West End owes a lot to Julius Caesar with all the politcal machinations.

Instead, I remember my teachers making us figure out the iambic pentameter. How deadly!!!!

Jon
By nightdancer17 Comments: 322, member since Thu Aug 04, 2005
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 AM
In 9th grade we read Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado About Nothing. Personally, I really enjoyed them, though a lot of my classmates thought they were boring. In 10th grade we read Julius Ceasar, which was good, but not one of my favorites. 11th grade was American lit, so obviously no Shakespeare. I have also read Hamlet and A Midsummer Nights Dream outside of school.
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:35 PM
In 9th grade, we read Romeo and Juliet and watched the more recent version of the movie. It's an okay story, but not worth all of the hype that it gets!
By TamarinPremium member Comments: 1342, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:55 PM
My class did Midsummer Night's Dream for our school play when I was in Grade 6. I was Titania and loved it. I do remember we did discuss the play at quite an indepth level for that age group.Mind you we were an advanced class. First time I studied a Shakespeare play in an English class was Grade 7 or 8.
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1044, member since Fri Nov 26, 2004
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 01:18 AM
In 8th grade I went to a Waldorf school where each year the graduating class (it ended at grade 8) put on a Shakespeare play. Our class did a Midsummer Nights Dream. I happened to be having kind of a rough year having just moved home from overseas and having been stuck in a small class of kids who had mostly been together for eight or more years. As a result, most of the time I had little to say in school, and I ended up with maybe one or two lines in the entire play. However, I played (and still play) the harp.. and my teacher decided that I should accompany the play. My harp teacher and I worked out the music for it, and it went pretty well. We also read The Taming of the Shrew that year.

After that, I read Romeo and Juliet outside of school, Othello in 10th grade, and this year in 12th we're just finishing up Hamlet.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 03:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I read Twelfth Night in 7th grade, but somehow I remember that not being my first time reading Shakespeare...

7th--Twelfth Night, Midsummer Night's Dream
8th--Romeo and Juliet
9th--Macbeth, Hamlet
And I've read some on my own too
By SongForTheAsking Comments: 114, member since Sun Sep 23, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 07:51 AM
Grade nine - Romeo and Juliet. I actually just reread it for a university course on Shakespeare and it's a lot different than I remembered haha.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 02:45 PM
My high school had every English class study at least one Shakespeare play every year, so my first was in grade nine- Julius Caesar. I studied good old R&J in 10, Macbeth in English 20, and Hamlet in English 30. We also did some smaller study of some of the comedies. I think if I were to create an English curriculum I would begin with the comedies sooner, like Jon mentioned- early middle school- and the easier tragedies like R&J. However, I attended a Catholic school for junior high and I don't think anything as bawdy as Shakepeare would have been looked on favourably.
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1538, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 02:53 PM
I HAD to read Macbeth in the 8th grade.

However I have been reading Much Ado About Nothing since I was in the 6th grade. It's one of my favorite's!

But since I didn't HAVE to read Much Ado, I picked 8th.
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 424, member since Sun Jun 24, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 03:35 PM
We have to read a different Shakespeare play every year in High School.
Grade 9 - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Grade 10 - Romeo and Juliet
Grade 11 - MacBeth
Grade 12 - Hamlet
If we're in academic we all have to read them. No exceptions. I think that after four years of dull class discussions on every word and phrase in the books, they've been totally mutilated and not interesting to read anymore.
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1372, member since Sun Jan 06, 2008
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 05:03 PM
In freshman year of high school, we had to read (and memorize the prologue to) Romeo and Juliet, and then in senior year we read Hamlet. I loved them both! :D
By twinkletoes08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2082, member since Tue Feb 18, 2003
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:26 PM
Oops!
i put year 9, but it was year 8!
We did, MacBeth in year 8, and then Much Ado About Nothing in year 9.

One of our SATs was on Much Ado, so yeah,
x
By undercoverdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 214, member since Fri May 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 01:52 PM
Techinically, this year, in 9th grade. My class just finished up reading Romeo and Juliet (loved it, by the way). In 3rd grade, my class read a watered-down, kiddified version of A Midsummer's Night's Dream. Eh, spelling.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Wed Nov 05, 2008 08:53 PM
Grade 9 -- MacBeth
Grade 10 -- Romeo and Juliet

And my teacher sucked! lol He didn't help any at all. We have a new teacher this year so maybe she'll be better at teaching Shakespeare...
By teenagewitchmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Nov 07, 2008 07:17 PM
9-Romeo and Juliet
10-MacBeth
11-King Lear
12-Hamlet

All we seem to read are tragedies at my school. So far I probably enjoyed Macbeth and King Lear the most, followed by Romeo and Juliet in third (I always hated Romeo), and Hamlet, which we are studying now, in dead last. Ugh.
By NASCARdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 231, member since Sun Aug 13, 2006
On Sun Nov 09, 2008 08:19 AM
Romeo and Juliet in 7th
By CrayolaPremium member Comments: 1549, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Sun Nov 09, 2008 08:27 AM
In grade 8 we studied A Midsummer's Night Dream.
By dancedeb Comments: 32224, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 AM
9th Grade...Romeo & Juliet
10th Grade...Julius Caesar
11th Grade...Studied American Lit that year I think (it was too long ago to remember)!
12th Grade....Hamlet & Macbeth
Loved all of thm except Macbeth, don't know why.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:30 AM
In 5th grade we performed A Comedy of Errors
By BabyBoo94 Comments: 72, member since Tue Feb 26, 2008
On Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 AM
Year 5 , so I was 9 or 10 . It was Macbeth and when we finished reading it , as a treat , we went to go and see it in the theatre , it was called " shakespear for kids " , I remember because I was in love with the actor who playede McDuff:P , The year after we read the tempest .I'm currently reading Romeo and Juliet .
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch