Poll: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
re: What year did you first have to read a Shakespeare play?
By living4christmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 323, member since Thu Apr 03, 2008
On Sat Nov 15, 2008 06:47 PM
In my freshman year (grade 9) we read Romeo and Juliet aloud in class, I really liked it. This year, my sophmore year (grade 10), we read Julius Caesar. It was pretty good, I wish would we have read it aloud in class though; I think it's so much better that way than having to read it yourself.

~Kayla~
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 08:16 AM
I was 11 when my class first read a Shakespeare play, and we've been reading one a year since.

Funny story: when my dad was little his school acted out A Midsummer Night's Dream... and his old role was the wall! :]
By MovinTooFastPremium member Comments: 1344, member since Mon Aug 22, 2005
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 09:40 PM
We read Romeo and Juliet in grade 9. Then in second semester of grade 10 we read Macbeth. I don't think I've read any other Shakespearean plays since then, but I might have to some time this year.
By VenaCavaPremium member Comments: 355, member since Tue May 09, 2006
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 09:52 PM
In year 10 (your 9th grade) we studied the Taming of the Shrew.

This year (my year 12, your 11th grade) I'm studying the Merchant of Venice. It's okay, but to be honest it doesn't have the most interesting storyline. Try giving that to a class of 16 year olds, half of which don't even want to be there.
By Ostentatious Comments: 100, member since Sun Nov 16, 2008
On Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 PM
7th Grade. It was the joys of 'Macbeth'. That kind of ruined my opinion of shakespeare's plays until 8th grade when we did 'Much Ado About Nothing'. I loved that one. We did the 'Twelfth Night' in 9th grade and 'Romeo and Juliet' in the 10th.
I'm not sure what we are doing this year. Its such a shame my school doesn't put much emphasis on the drama side, I think acting it out, or atleast reading it aloud as a class would be so much better than the way we do it currently.
By OnstageForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1232, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Mon Nov 24, 2008 06:44 PM
We read a few sections of A Midsummer Night's Dream in 7th grade, then read Romeo and Juliet in full in 8th grade. 9th grade was Twelfth Night. i started performing Shakespeare with my school theatre in 10th grade (The Tempest.)

Being a "drama kid," I always loved Shakespeare, and couldn't understand why people complained about it. I do agree that his plays are meant to be read out loud and performed, not analyzed for structure in the dull format that is typical of so many English classes today.
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Mon Nov 24, 2008 08:03 PM
When I was in Year 11 we had to read Romeo and Juliet.
This year (year 12) we did Othello.
Next year, I'll be doing King Lear.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Mon Nov 24, 2008 08:09 PM
9 - Julius Caesar (because I was in an Honors class; regular did Romeo & Juliet, which I still haven't read)
10 - none
11 or 12 - Hamlet and some sonnets
12 - performed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead... which doesn't really count :P
By ellie17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 11200, member since Wed Aug 31, 2005
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 AM
Year 6 we read macbeth

now we read alot.
By dancingincereal Comments: 767, member since Wed Feb 21, 2007
On Wed Nov 26, 2008 09:14 AM
romeo and juliet in 9th grade.
By jsteppergurl Comments: 20, member since Sun Sep 16, 2007
On Tue Dec 02, 2008 03:51 PM
7th grade we read Julius Caesar and then every year after that we've had to read a Shakespeare play
By DancinSweetheartmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 224, member since Sat May 10, 2008
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 AM
This year, eighth :)

We only just finished Macbeth, and I have to say I enjoyed it alot, although it took some time to get used to the type of language used.

X
By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 10210, member since Mon Jun 30, 2003
On Sat Dec 27, 2008 03:04 AM
I had to read Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade, Julius Caesar in 10th grade, and Hamlet and Macbeth in 12th grade. I read The Taming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Dream on my own in 9th grade too.
By Lonannunielmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 905, member since Tue Dec 21, 2004
On Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:25 PM
Grade 9 - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Grade 10 - Romeo and Juliet
Grade 11 - Macbeth
Grade 12 - Hamlet
By AppleyBallerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 367, member since Tue Aug 08, 2006
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 04:22 AM
Year 7- A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest
Year 8- The Merchant of Venice
Year 9- Taming of the Shrew and Twelfth Night
Year 10 and 11- Extended study of Romeo and Juliet

:)
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 09:26 AM
I remember that in grade 9, there was a portion of Romeo and Juliet in our English textbook. In grade 10, there was a portion of Hamlet in our English textbook.
By dancingrl247 Comments: 2989, member since Fri Sep 26, 2003
On Tue Dec 30, 2008 01:53 PM
9th- Romeo and Juliet

10th- Julius Caesar
and we had to memorize and recite the whole marc anthony speech. it was actually pretty fun, you got bonus points for wearing a toga, having someone play dead caesar, reciting the entire speech with an accent, and other stuff like that. some people got REALLY creative.

12th- A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet
We actually divided up the roles and acted these out in class, it was so much better than sitting at our desks and reading them.
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Tue Dec 30, 2008 02:12 PM
Romeo & Juliet, 9th grade English
By two_sixteen Comments: 53, member since Thu Jan 01, 2009
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 PM
I read Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade and Othello in 10th grade.
By LydiaKlassActmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 964, member since Sun Jun 03, 2007
On Fri Jan 02, 2009 01:26 PM
In year 6, we had a shakespeare workshop, worked on macbeth and hamlet and went to see Romeo and Juliet at the high school that I now go to !

Lydia x
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 08:44 PM
Grade 9- Twelfth Night
Grade 10- Romeo and Juliet
Grade 11- MacBeth.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 09:22 PM
In year 9 we read Romeo and Juliet. It was our first year of Shakespeare. I HATED it. It was 1998, so it was the year after Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet was released and everyone in my class (I went to an all-girls school) was LOSING THEIR MINDS over Leonardo DiCaprio. I am sure I would have liked it more if I didn't have to deal with the Leo hysteria. My god, it was like the Second Coming.

In year 10 we read Macbeth and I loved Macbeth. It remains my favourite Shakespeare play. I just loved everything about it.

In year 11 we didn't read one. The girls who did English Literature (as opposed to straight-up English) read one, but we didn't read one in English.

In year 12 I enrolled in English Literature so I read Antony and Cleopatra. Really enjoyed that one too.

Over the course of high school I also read A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet for fun.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Tue Mar 31, 2009 09:37 AM
ellie17 wrote:

Year 6 we read macbeth

No way! Shakespeare in primary school? Hardcore.

I'm still a little confused about the fact that we studied Macbeth in Year 9 yet I don't remember reading it. I mean, I'm technically in Year 13 right now (if I was American, I'd be in Senior year at high school) and we're studying Hamlet, and I'm struggling at this age to get my head around a lot of the language. How the hell could I have coped with it so much younger?
By glitter_lycra Comments: 32, member since Wed Feb 18, 2009
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 05:21 AM
We also studied some Shakespeare in Primary school.
Year 5 and 6: a Midsummer Night's dream
Year 7: Twelfth Night
Year 8: Romeo and Juliet
Year 9: Much Ado About Nothing
Year 10: Macbeth
By StylishFish Comments: 278, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 07:43 AM
Am I the only one who studied Merchant of Venice when I was 12? Haha.

Romeo and Juliet for an elective when I was 14! I thought it was pretty good. Especially the movie, lol. NOT the Leonardo di Caprio one.
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch