Popular Highland

Hair Question by Bellasmum
I have seen several highland dancers wearing what appears to be a "double stacked" bun... I believe...

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
how often do you change your point shoes? en>fr fr>en
By pinksatinslipper Comments: 72, member since Mon Sep 10, 2007
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 06:13 PM

I am just curious how often do you girls buy a new pair of pointe shoes? I have used mine for only 3 months and the platform is kind of worn out (not sure is it because of too much rosin) and the shank seems abit soft even though mine are bloch serenades. I only do pointe for an hour a week.

How often do you girls wear our your shoes? Is mine not considered normal?

24 Replies to how often do you change your point shoes?

re: how often do you change your point shoes? en>fr fr>en
By forgetxmexnot Comments: 759, member since Wed May 03, 2006
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:33 PM
Edited by forgetxmexnot (157970) on 2008-11-02 21:34:34
Oh dear... "only 3 months"... I wish my pointe shoes lasted 3 months! I dance a lot more than an hour a week though. In other words.. Yep, yours is completely normal. Just remember that the shoe changes a bit as it gets broken in... it's probably not completely dead yet, but have your teacher check them out.
By TutuU222 Comments: 1250, member since Thu Aug 14, 2008
On Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:47 PM
For pointe shoes there is really no such thing as "normal" wear and tear. Just like some people are harder on regular street shoes than others, the same thing applies to pointe shoes.

I've seen dancers go through a pair of shoes in only one class, and I've seen some dancers with the same shoes that last a year. I'd say 3 months is a real average time.

When you do exercises that once were very easy and now you can't do them well, you'll know it's time for a new pair of shoes!
By muckwi002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 708, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 07:57 AM
Three months is a normal time :)
I wish mine lasted three months too.
I go through them a few times a month, but that's after I started using Jet Glue. Thank god for that stuff!
By irish_dancer4Himmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 532, member since Sat Jun 10, 2006
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 08:28 AM
I’m one of the lucky ones! I wear Gaynor Mindens and they last me for about 6 months (that’s with class almost every day). But most dancers I know (who have shoes other than GM’s) go though them in about 1 to 2 months.
By mooshrimp Comments: 1698, member since Sat Mar 31, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 03:31 PM
When they die I replace them. lol. Like two months usually?
By Angelos Comments: 402, member since Tue Apr 08, 2003
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 03:40 PM
Gosh i wish my pointe shoes would last anywhere close to that long. I get roughtly 10 days out of my pointe shoes (sometimes less). If i'm pushing it i may be able to get them to last 2 1/2 weeks (But by that stage their really dead and bordering on dangerous). Then again i am wearing them for 3 or more hours a day 6 days a week so that's probably why i go through them so fast.
By pinksatinslipper Comments: 72, member since Mon Sep 10, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 07:17 PM
Thank you girls for the replies! Think I'll have my teacher check on them when she comes back (we are now currently having a replacement teacher). Some of the girls have been using their pointe shoes for half a year and they still look pretty much in good condition! Do you girls use rosin for your pointe shoes? I'm considering getting suede tips so they dont wear out my platform so fast but my teacher says you cant use suede for exams!
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2064, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 04:20 PM
You can also use moleskin on the tips of your shoes too. That's what we always used to do in pointe class. I would never use a pointe shoe that didn't have moleskin on it or a suede tip (like what the Duro-Toe shoe used to be like).
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 04:49 PM
Mine last around three months too. Almost all of my shoes have, except for one pair of Grishko 2007's which lasted around 6, and a pair of chacotts that lasted long enough to get through one performance!
By TutuU222 Comments: 1250, member since Thu Aug 14, 2008
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 09:15 PM
pinksatinslipper - 3 months is actually quite a long time to have a shoe, so even if you did put something on the tip (which I personally wouldn't really recommend), I don't think you're going to get much more life out of them.

I would actually count yourself lucky. When I was dancing, I sometimes would kill a pair of shoes in one or two classes. I would have LOVED for my shoes to last a whole 3 months!

We do not use rosin at our studio, because we have very good floors. Sometimes we DO cut the satin off the tip for better traction. And lately I've begun an experiment with darning the old fashioned way to see if it really does help. We only use rosin for performances.
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Nov 11, 2008 06:58 PM
Think in terms of mileage, like you would the tires on a car, rather than elapsed time. Shank life depends on the number of extension/flexion cycles, assuming proper technique. Box life is a function of the amount of moisture that they are exposed to.

Two drivers can buy the identical tires for identical cars. The tires can be installed identically. One driver may consistently travel on bad roads, have the tires underinflated, and start and brake hard. The other driver may drive on good roads, maintain proper tire pressure, and have more steady driving habits. Guess whose tires are going to last longer?

SO--if you are dancing one class a week in your pointes, with little releve/flat changes, and the shoes have a chance to dry out thoroughly between wearings, it isn't at all uncommon for them to be perfectly danceable for a few months. Someone who is taking a couple of classes a day with demanding variations and lots of jumping, etc, and puts on the same pair of pointes the next day while they still have some dampness in them might blow through a few pairs a week, and I'm not talking scuffed satin. I'm talking worn out shank and collapsing box.

Somewhere I saw something that the average lifespan of a pointe shoe is approximately eight to ten hours of straight out dancing. That being said, professionals can easily blow through a pair of shoes in a single performance, just like race cars can easily require several sets of tires during a race.
By Leigha_Ballerina Comments: 490, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Tue Nov 11, 2008 09:50 PM
woah I get about 12 months out of each pair - but I have 4 to 5 pairs in work and let each pair dry out before being used again. I wear them 1- 4 hours, 4 days a week.
By twinkletoes129 Comments: 9, member since Wed Oct 08, 2008
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 07:42 AM
Hahahaha, I feel pretty worried now. I live in Indonesia, where I'm not to available to dance shops and everything. So, I've had my pointe shoes for 18 months. I really think they're worn out and everything.The shank is all broken and everything. And, it's mushy :( Hahaha. What do you guys think? But, the teachers here don't seem to really care. I think I should get a new pair :( But, it sucks that I don't have a dance shop near me! :( What are the dangers of wearing dead pointe shoes? :S

How do you tell if a pointe shoe is dead? Just wondering. 'Cause, I reckon mine are :P

Sorry this post is so long. Didn't mean it to be :)

Thanks in advance :)
By qthie Comments: 55, member since Tue Sep 11, 2007
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:35 PM
twinkletoes129 wrote:

Hahahaha, I feel pretty worried now. I live in Indonesia, where I'm not to available to dance shops and everything. So, I've had my pointe shoes for 18 months. I really think they're worn out and everything.The shank is all broken and everything. And, it's mushy :( Hahaha. What do you guys think? But, the teachers here don't seem to really care. I think I should get a new pair :( But, it sucks that I don't have a dance shop near me! :( What are the dangers of wearing dead pointe shoes? :S

How do you tell if a pointe shoe is dead? Just wondering. 'Cause, I reckon mine are :P

Sorry this post is so long. Didn't mean it to be :)

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I also live in Indonesia, I know there is few ballet shop in Indonesia, Jakarta, that can do order by phone. Just make sure you know your size.

balletdanceshop.com
juliedanceshop.com
By sugerplumfairy Comments: 1163, member since Fri Nov 09, 2007
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 AM
I need a pair every week. With jet glue sometimes a can squeeze I week and a half out of them. However when i only danced an hour a week on pointe it took me like six months to kill a shoe.
By tinydancer304member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 210, member since Thu Sep 04, 2008
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 05:26 PM
I'm on my first pair (blochs) other people's pointes at my studio last about a year.

the first picture is when i first got mine
the second is after 3 months
By olivesmommember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 379, member since Wed Aug 09, 2006
On Fri Nov 21, 2008 03:33 PM
[q=. .Somewhere I saw something that the average lifespan of a pointe shoe is approximately eight to ten hours of straight out dancing. That being said, professionals can easily blow through a pair of shoes in a single performance, just like race cars can easily require several sets of tires during a race.

That makes a lot of sense because when I first started my shoes of course lasted longer, but now that I am a bit more advanced-doing tons of releves, eschappes, etc I am noticing that they last about 7 or 8 classes. I only take pointe 2 or 3 times a week for one hour each. But, yeah 8-10 hours is a good way to think of it.
By elphaba_dances Comments: 101, member since Sat Apr 14, 2007
On Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:39 PM
For me, it's varied hugely. My first pair were dead after six months but I wore them for nine because I was waiting for my teacher to tell me I needed new ones. Finally I just asked if I could get new ones and she looked at me like I was crazy for waiting so long. "You get new shoes when you need to, Megan." The next pair I never really danced in, I outgrew them too quickly. I wore the third pair at a summer intensive and they lasted a month. My current pair is almost dead and I've been using them since August. ~megan~
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 01:20 PM
I used to go through mine really fast, because I though I needed new ones when I didnt

now they last me like 6 months a pair =]
By Blushdance Comments: 42, member since Sun Mar 23, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 03:50 PM
Whats really scary is when I have dancers coming for a fitting, and they bring their old pointe shoes with them .They have usually had them for a year and they are wrecked how they have managed to conitnue dancing in them is beyond me!!!! Whats even more scary is the poor girls coming in though as their shoes have broken after only a few weeks because they ere fitted too big, and I mean too big!!! Some even two sizes up from normal shoe size!
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 04:19 PM
Mine actually last the whole year. But I'm a bit skimpy. Basically, they break in instantly, but I like them really really really broken in. And my shanks are really the only thing that breaks in on my shoes (Suffolk Solos), so the box lasts forever. And I only do pointe about an hour a week. I do tend to get a new pair every six months or so, but I don't retire the shoes until a year has passed, if that makes sense.
By ballerinnna Comments: 59, member since Wed Nov 29, 2006
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 07:43 PM
If I could get my shoes to last even a WEEK would be nice...
I go through 4-5 pairs of shoes during an EASY month. And you have to understand that I wear my shoes to a pulp before i start sewing new ones to get everything i can out of one pair. However, I take 6 two hour classes a week, in which 5 of them are on pointe, and thats not even counting death rehersals. As for shoes its prob. a pair of shoes for every 2 shows... yeah it adds up.
By ayyyshugamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1425, member since Wed Aug 02, 2006
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:31 PM
...like every 2.7 seconds.

not really, my blochs usually last me a couple of weeks, which I suppose is really good compared to others.
By btjplgirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 271, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 09:28 PM
My first pair lasted 2 years. I have been on pointe for about 12 years now, and now they last about every month to 2 months depending on how much dancing I do on them. Now that Nutcracker is over I hope they will last longer, plus I am hoping to go back to grishkos since for me they last longer than my blochs.

ReplySendWatch