Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: You tube links of your dancers...
By dancedeb Comments: 32224, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:07 AM
I don't know how to make a post a sticky, but most people on here are much more computer savvy than I am. Can anyone educate me on that?
By hummingbird Comments: 10435, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:39 AM
You can't make a post a sticky, but a Moderater can, all you have to do is send them a PM explaining why and the name of the post.
By Sumayah Comments: 6922, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 07:57 PM
Here's a former student of mine. I got to teach her last year and before - she takes at a studio I teach for, and even though she's no longer my direct student, she's still one of my kids. ;) She's 10yrs and placed first at this competition and the choreography is 100% hers. I helped clean it and gave her staging advice but otherwise she picked the movement and the song and it was only a month prior that she decided to do this (so it still needs cleaning and is a bit rough). I'm so proud of her so I want to brag. ;)

www.youtube.com . . .
By terpsidance Comments: 1262, member since Wed Sep 24, 2008
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:49 PM
That was nice Sumayah! I loved her heart and expression in that dance. You must be very proud of her! So much potential!
By Sumayah Comments: 6922, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:18 PM
Thanks! She's got potential and drive. I had told her sometime when she first started that ballet was the foundation for all other dance and she took it to heart. Besides jazz and lyrical, she's in 3 ballet classes and wants to work toward getting en pointe - what can I do, how can I stretch, how many releves? She's practically at the studio as much as I am, lol. I love kids like this, it's so amazing to see where they'll be in 5 or 6 years time (and then 5 or 6 years after that). This is only her third year dancing so it'll be neat to also see how her choreographic style grows and develops. :D
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5699, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:34 PM
This is my competition team at the state fair representing our district... www.youtube.com . . . When this was filmed, they had been clogging for a little over a year and as a team for five months - this was their first routine and third competition.
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1996, member since Sat Jan 10, 2004
On Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:34 PM
vids.myspace.com . . .

This is a myspace video of some of my dancers from our last show (08), they are between the ages of 8-12 and have an average of 3 years experience. We are a recreational studio so this isn't a competition piece of anything like that, oh and sorry the quality isn't that great, I filmed it from a dvd with my camera in order to upload it, lol
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed Feb 25, 2009 07:20 PM
I don't post them on the open internet but I have some on Facebook and some on Myspace, for friends, only. If you want to join as my friend, that would be fine, then you can see them. Just PM me.

Hugs!!
By mariebandres Comments: 181, member since Sat Mar 13, 2004
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 AM
Here is a link to some of my choreography from last year. Bad Quality video.
www.youtube.com . . .

and here is a teaser for a new piece im working on...

www.youtube.com . . .
By i_am_me Comments: 6306, member since Thu Sep 25, 2008
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 AM
Edited by coastdancecenter (202298) on 2009-02-26 11:54:01
^^^
Love the staging in the Comp dance!

The second dance reminded me of a dance I choreographed to "Give Me One Reason to Stay Here" by Tracy Chapman. We used suitcases and a bench like a train station.

I miss choreographing!!!! This year I'm ALMOST beyond the heel-heel-step moment!! Watching everybody else's work is inspirational and makes me excited for when my itty bitties start to actually dance. :)

Thank you all for continuing to contribute to this post!
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 PM
The best part of teaching is getting to watch your little ones grow up. Even though it is sad when they move off to college and its time to say goodbye. Some of the dancers in the video have been with me since age 5 or 6. Its such a blessing to be a dance teacher.
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 PM
mariebandres wrote:

Its such a blessing to be a dance teacher.

That it is. Not a day goes by that I don't have a "damn, I love my job!" moment. :)
By cheerspirit Comments: 3843, member since Thu Apr 29, 2004
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 PM
We just had dress rehearsal... here are a few of our numbers this year. We were limited in space since everyone was there to watch, so it seems kinda cramped!
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
I'm still working on posting some others up on youtube.
By Ahusk89 Comments: 597, member since Sun Apr 01, 2007
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 AM
Here are three of mine that I recorded recently. They are competitive but we compete recreationally. They each only take less than 3 hours of dance a week so I'm SO proud of them!

Tell me what you think!

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 08:45 AM
I posted the first rehearsal of this piece. Here it is all done. Very messy but all done and missing one dancer sadly. www.youtube.com . . .
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:33 AM
^^^ I love your work. Simple. Well staged. Lovely.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 AM
It's nice to see some good true choreography in some of these pieces. I like to watch the dances where the choreography is real and genuine rather than showy and staged for competition. I enjoy this thread, I wish there were more posts!
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 AM
^^^ I am going to try to put together a youtube channel after this years recital. It's only my second recital with the new biz, so I don't have any advanced kids yet.

I love the work on this thread as well. I'm very grateful that everyone has been so forthcoming with their work. :)

As soon as I have my new work recorded I will upload something as well. :)
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 PM
Here is a couple of old ones I just posted on our youtube page...
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .

Love some feedback even though they are old pieces. Id like to set them again in the future :)
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 PM
oops forgot one...www.youtube.com . . .
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 01:14 PM
^^^ Your choreo is lovely. Love your music choices always. May I ask what, if any, feedback you got from the judges was on the two group numbers?
By ozriella Comments: 476, member since Thu Feb 12, 2004
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 04:08 PM
Marie your dancers are beautiful. I love the choreography also. Thanks for posting them.
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 04:39 PM
Here is my youtube page. The videos uploaded are from last year from the Laurentian University Pipe Band and Highland Dance Team which I directed, taught and danced!

www.youtube.com . . .

If you go to my favourites, you'll see the RCMP Dance Team which I currently dance with!
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 05:09 PM
coastdancecenter wrote:

^^^ Your choreo is lovely. Love your music choices always. May I ask what, if any, feedback you got from the judges was on the two group numbers?

For "Amazing Grace" The main comment was to be careful with the parralel positions and making sure they are all the same. They liked there focus and feeling. One judge wanted more turns and more difficult steps. Buuuu t thats not how i choreograph...Competition or not!

For "Wings Earned" They said to tighten up the unison sections. Said there was alot of "pretty pictures". That comment is always interesting to me.
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 07:28 PM
Edited by coastdancecenter (202298) on 2009-04-14 19:33:05
^^^ Because they are shot from far away, it's harder for me to comment on the details of the tech. Of the 4 pieces, the only one I'd adjust is Amazing Grace. Your staging is gorgeous, so I would just create more visual interest by more asymmetry and more "pictures" (know you love that). You have a gorgeous pic at 2:29. I do not agree with the judge to raise their difficulty level. They are working within their correct tech parameters.

Examples -

at :30 you could take them out of the line and place them less symmetrically and still work the same contagion.

From 1:36 - 2:16 they are primarily stationary and working in unison. You could either have opposite lines working different steps or move them around before the other "pretty picture" at 2:18

That being said, they are beautiful for 12. My 12's did not look like that.

I hope those comments are constructive and helpful.

In the not too distant future, I want you to look at a lyrical piece and give me some thoughts as well. I just have to clean it a bit and record it. :)
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch