Popular Teachers

Private lessons for someone how hasn't danced by Amoeni1
I was just informed I would be working with a student who isn't currently dancing anywhere and...

Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
Everyone in my family has the stomach flu...what can I do to keep from getting it? en>fr fr>en
By allegro13 Comments: 997, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 03:36 AM

So...everyone in my family except for my dad and me have the stomach flu. Puking, etc. I want to do everything I can to keep from getting it.

I know that my chances of making it out without at least having a touch of it are slim to none, but I have a "vomit phobia" and physically cannot stand things having to do with my stomach. Hearing about someone being sick is enough to make me woozy. I like literally cannot stand it.

I think my mind actually gets the best of me at some points, because as soon as I hear about someone being sick, I start feeling sick. I can't tell whether this is because I am so completely scared of getting it, or if I actually have it.

I take a Calcium supplement regularly, and that is supposed to settle my stomach, so besides washing my hands like a fiend and avoiding it as much as I can, what can I do to ease my mind a prevent this sickness?

9 Replies to Everyone in my family has the stomach flu...what can I do to keep from getting it?

re: Everyone in my family has the stomach flu...what can I do to keep from getting it? en>fr fr>en
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4424, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:01 AM
Edited by LeMusique (161650) on 2008-11-08 10:02:32 whoa. a huge run on. hah. good thing i saw it before anyone else did. :)
Yeah, there is something going around around here too. I'm the only one in my house who isn't sick either. All I do to help is just not to get close to the people who are sick and remember to take some vitamin C as well such as orange juice or even taking an actual vitamin C pill.

And usually if I do that, it helps alot to get sick. thats what I did last year around flu season, I was lucky not to get it..so maybe that will help for you too.
re: Everyone in my family has the stomach flu...what can I do to keep from getting it? en>fr fr>en
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 AM
Washing your hands and avoiding it are your best bets. Also, stay healthy by getting lots of sleep and eating right. It might be a good idea to cook your own meals seperately. Also, make sure you aren't sharing towels/face cloths. If you keep your toothbrush in a holder with theirs, you might want to get a new one and keep it seperate.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:42 AM
vitamins, like a woman possessed. I went and got Airborne, because I'm a terrible pill swallower. Wash your hands, and station several bottles of anti-bacterial hand gel, and several containers of Clorox wipes throughout the house, and use them frequently!

My son got a gnarly stomach bug back in the spring (that the ER doc did not actually believe was the stomach flu), and he managed to give it to my boyfriend. I came out weak, but unscathed. You know, when you see your food in that light, you don't want to eat either!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8709, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Nov 10, 2008 04:12 PM
As everyone else has said, "Wash your hands..." PROFUSELY!

Use Sanitizing gel on hands.

Dis-infect things that get used a lot, by using alcohol swabs.. and that carry bacteria:
doorknobs, the phone receivers, the dial pads, the flush levers on toilets; toilet seats.. most everything that people have contact with.

Maybe use a lysol spray disinfectant for the rooms... (hopefully on a warm day when fresh air can circulate).

maybe, also, wash bed linens.

Urge others to wash their hands as well.

Keep the things you use a lot, your cup for the bathroom, all of your drinking utensils, your toothbrush, grooming equipment, in a private place.

Take the Airborne, as T said.. it's quite good.
Push fluids.. one of the big things about stomach flus is that they dehydrate like heck!

Make sure people cover their mouths when they cough.. and then, either wash or disinfect their hands afterwards.

Good luck!

I hope this all passes quickly, and everyone gets well!

Shadow.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12798, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Nov 10, 2008 04:25 PM
Oh, man.

I'm a server in a very busy restaurant, and I am SO paranoid about getting sick because of it, constantly touching plates and glassware and pepper mills and trays and all this other stuff that tons of other people are touching all the time, and I swear by good hand sanitizer. I use it like every ten minutes at work.

It's also crucial to try to avoid touching your face- anytime you get your germy hands near membranes (eyes, mouth...) you might as well be rolling out the welcome mat for viruses. Ugh.

Also, get lots of sleep and eat as well as you can- the healthier and stronger your body is to begin with, the better you'll be able to fend off sickness.

At home, Lysol wipes are my best friend. I use them on doorknobs and cabinet handles and remote controls and light switches...anything I touch a lot. I know it's kind of compulsive behaviour, but I'm sick already this winter and I don't want it get worse or happen again.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 09:02 PM
I've never usually had a problem when my family has been sick. I just try to eat healthy and make sure to take my vitamins.

Everybody had really good advice, and since everybody else has aleady said it I guess I don't have to mention it again. :P
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 04:20 PM
I agree with what everyone said. One thing though - only one Airborne tablet/vitamin C pill/multivitamin per day!! If you take more than your daily recommended dose, your body just rejects it and pees it out. It's also bad for your kidneys to filter that much out. So check the labels and if it's 100% of your daily dose, don't take any more vitamins!

/end Public Service Announcement

Also, don't allow any sick people near your food.
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1883, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 PM
STAY AWAY from everyone as much as you can! I literally lock myself in my room when my family gets sick with the stomach flu. I HATE throwing up as much as you do! I feel sick right now thinking of it. haha.

Everyone has pretty much given you the best advice out there. Just one thing I don't think anyone mentioned (or I didn't notice that they did) Drink A LOT of water! I can't give you the reasons for doing such, because I don't really know. But everyone I know always tells me to drink water when I'm sick/getting sick, and it helps! Haha. So yeah, drink water. :P
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1302, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sat Nov 15, 2008 07:49 PM
When someone in my house gets sick we start running everything through the dishwasher because it gets nice and hot and soapy.

ReplySendWatch