Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Fouettes
By JessiDancer4Life
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 03:23 PM

What part of a fouette are you on releve?
It may seem stupid, but when I try to do my fouettes, usually I can only do like a chaine turn and one fouette or a pirouette and fouette, because i lose my balance.
I tried them like plie flat and then like open to second position on releve, but I'm not sure if that works.

3 Replies to Fouettes

re: Fouettes
By dancer123321
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 05:16 PM
Hmm... this may not be helpful, but I'll give it a try. Can you do pirouettes okay? Like, as in can you do a clean single?(I'm assuming you can since you are doing fouettes) A fouette is really not much more complicated than that. I mean, yeah it definitely does take a longer time to get the hang of fouettes (I know from personal experience lol) but just think of doing a pirouette, then freezing in ala secone, then just doing another pirouette from that, and so on. Eh that probably didn't make much sense... I apologize. Maybe someone can explain it better. Well I tried. :)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 06:25 PM
I'm guessing you haven't broken it down in class yet, which means that your level probably isn't ready yet. Work on those pirouettes, man! They're the life of me...I wish that after 11 years I would have them and wouldn't need to practice anymore...alas. More pirouettes it is.
By fouettegirl
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 09:09 PM
There's two different possibilities:

So you start with the leg (say right leg) in front, left leg in plie. Many teachers teach that when you bring the right leg to the side, you stay in plie. Then when you bring the leg to retire, you releve at the same time.

The other version is basically what you described - you have the right leg in front, en plie, then you releve as the leg goes to a la seconde.

Some teachers swear by one version or the other, but both are actually acceptable (well, as long as you're not following a specific syllabus). You might want to try the first version as it may help you with doing continuous fouettes.

Also, you might want to try starting fouettes from a pirouette (single or double), rather than a chaine or soutenu.

At any rate, try to get back to the starting position of having the leg in front, en plie, each time - even if you have to hop/swivel around. You'll train your body to get back to that position each time so eventually, you'll be able to do continuous fouettes.

ReplySendWatch