Poll: Highland / Highland - Jig

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
How old were you when you started learning the Jig?
By toolbox77 Comments: 139, member since Sun Sep 14, 2008
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 PM

My daughter's class has just learned the intro to the Jig. DDs 7 the other girls are 7-9 years and all are in beginners (DD is one stamp from novice). They all seem to live and breath the jig! How old were you when you first started to learn it? How long did it take you to learn it all? How old were you when you first competed in it? Did you begin competing in Intermediate / premier before you learned all of the Jig?

49 Replies to How old were you when you started learning the Jig?

re: How old were you when you started learning the Jig?
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 PM
I started when I was 15 I believe. At the start of my second year of dance. I have yet to compete with it though.
By tartanlady Comments: 373, member since Sun Sep 26, 2004
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 01:23 AM
My daughter was 7 when she was competing jig/hornpipe

Tracey x
By DundeeDancer Comments: 513, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 09:28 AM
My older DD was 10 last year with one stamp left in Novice when she learned it in about a month, the competed in it as an intermediate the following month. Her year is almost up and has only danced it 4 times: she "blew a shoe" once (we had to borrow a pair and one shoe came right off her heel in the last step! Needless to say we bought a new larger pair of jig shoes right afterwards!), and then placed 2nd twice!

My younger DD is 9 (voted for her) and also has one stamp left in Novice but still has 3months left. She has started learning the first couple of steps. Hopefully she will learn this and the Hornpipe by February!
By momofthreedancrsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 971, member since Mon Jul 12, 2004
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 PM
Edited by momofthreedancrs (99485) on 2008-11-13 12:21:07
my dd learned most of it at 7, she was a novice and her class was learning it for st Patrick's day performance (by then she had turned 8.)So i voted 8... Then a month later in April she turned intermediate, so it was nice she already knew the jig a while before having to do it at a dance competition...
By charlanflingermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1428, member since Tue May 17, 2005
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 PM
I learnt it at seven. As I was in Intermediate then (end of my seventh year). I'm not sure how long it took me to learn it, not too long I dont think as it was always my favorite, I absolutely love it!! I first competed in it at age seven. I had learned right before I jumped into intermediate.
By Boy_Dancer98 Comments: 53, member since Mon Sep 01, 2008
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 02:10 PM
I was 7 when I learnt it and 8 when I first competed in it. It didn't really take too long to learn because I love doing the jig.
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 03:53 PM
There isn't a choice for me! I started learning it my first year when I was still in beginner and at age 20. :P
By HighlandSunshine Comments: 157, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 01:26 PM
I was 15 and in my 6th year of dance .... I was either beginner or brand new novice ... I don't remember. At my school we don't learn the jig until the hornpipe is mastered or we reach intermediate. Since I didn't compete until a few years ago I did the hornpipe for about 3 full years until I started jig. I liked it that way because it made it really easy to pick up the jig and I could do it in about a month.
HS
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Fri Nov 14, 2008 03:02 PM
Wow, 7-9 Beginners???? My dance teacher has us learn the dances when we get into the level they are danced in!!! I am 12 and am learning the jig but I still don't do good in it...
By jiggy_jen Comments: 682, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Mon Nov 24, 2008 03:23 PM
i love the jig and exams bring back good/crazy memories.

Took my bronze jig at 8yrs but i think I started to learn it along with the hornpipe at approx 6yrs. 80's outfits were so tasteful lol

Its strange my teacher Peggy McDonald always told us to be angry - hard to do when your told to smile all the time, but over time it came, just had to think about how much i hated doing leg warmups on the horrible wooden floor and there it was.

Also amazed at a certain examiers ablity to multi-task - playing the piano and examing at the same time - and she still remembers.

happy dancin and sorry to go off the topic a bit
By chucks1 Comments: 229, member since Tue Nov 29, 2005
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 02:47 AM
I learn't the jig when i was 7 and in novice but my little sister learn't the jig & horpipe for displays when she was 5.
By mom_2_3 Comments: 245, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:21 AM
My DD started the jig at 5 1/2, was performing it by 6 and took her first exam at 7. At that time, the jig was considered a beginner's dance (OK MANY years ago!). It was so cute to watch her and the other 3 six year olds out there stamping their feet and shaking their fists!
By seiyaferretmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 931, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:31 AM
Well, heck. I can't vote. The age doesn't go high enough. I started learning it this year at age 34.
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member Comments: 766, member since Wed Oct 13, 2004
On Fri Dec 05, 2008 06:23 PM
I was 4 1/2 or 5. I have video of me dancing jig, hornpipe, reel and broadswords when I was 6 and we started competing in long step nationals, jig and hornpipe when we went into beginners.

You're right, Jiggy Jen. The 70's and 80's had their fair share of fashion faux pas...
By j_llama Comments: 127, member since Thu Aug 07, 2008
On Sat Dec 06, 2008 04:25 PM
wow the jig as a beginner's dance... that would be so cute!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 02:54 PM
j_llama wrote:

wow the jig as a beginner's dance... that would be so cute!

Well, for the most part, there ARE 7 year old intermediete kids like my friend Emilia who just whiz right through beginner and novice and are so good at it!! But nevertheless it is adorable to see them dance it!!!
By Asta Comments: 86, member since Wed Nov 26, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:54 PM
Edited by Asta (204670) on 2008-12-07 20:55:29
Don't know what age I started learning the jig, as I didn't start dancing till my late teens, but I was in Novice. My teacher got us started in Hornpipe first (gave us a pick, HP or J first), then later in the Jig, but still I had a long time before I first had to compete the Jig in Intermediate. I think it's good to get dancers prepared in advance. Unfortunately, I never got to compete the Barracks or the Laddie till Premier. They just never showed up at any of the competitions I went to. But I knew HP, J, Barracks, and Laddie for Intermediate anyway.
By the_reel_thing Comments: 56, member since Sun Aug 28, 2005
On Thu Dec 11, 2008 08:02 PM
I started about when I was nine or ten I think....
By jenona Comments: 20, member since Thu Nov 06, 2008
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:26 AM
my dd was 7 when she started to learn the jig, but didn't compete until she was 8.
By Jennypollock1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 519, member since Wed Feb 06, 2008
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:40 AM
I learned the jig when I was 11 for going into Intermediate I am now 12 soon be in premier. I have been dancing for exactly 3 years and 2 months. Jenny xxx
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 288, member since Thu Jan 22, 2009
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 02:37 AM
aw I just barely missed the age cut off for voting, I was 17 when I stared learning the jig and I've loved it ever since.
I also love watching the boys (or men) dance this one, with their shillelagh sticks and costume hehehe so cute ;)
By jenona Comments: 20, member since Thu Nov 06, 2008
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 01:54 PM
my dd was 7 when she started to learn the jig, just when she was coming out of beginners and going into novice.
By LissaJademember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 101, member since Tue Sep 30, 2008
On Sat Mar 07, 2009 01:34 PM
I think I was probably 12 or 13. It was in my second or third year dancing.
By JiggyHorse Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 05:45 PM
I beleive that I was 10 satrting my 5th year of dance. I guess it would depend on the dance school you go to because the dance school I went to before I went to the dance school I go to now I was learining the dances in different order than the dance school I go to now did. So it really depends,
JigyHorse
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch