Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Gym / Gymnastics

Gymnastics
What exactly do Gymnastic Judges look for - schools gymnastics en>fr fr>en
By mum2_3dancersmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4296, member since Tue Jun 08, 2004
On Sun Nov 16, 2008 01:32 PM

Hi

I have just spent today sitting watching Emily and Lucy at their once yearly(thank goodness)schools gymnastics comp. Having looked online at the results I have to say I am absolutely gobsmacked at their results.

The competition consists of a floor routine and a vault, now both of my girls dance so when it comes to their performance on the floor its usually of the same sort of standard as they would have at a dance comp ie smiles, head up, pointed toes, presentations lovely, their confident etc etc, however, both of them haven't exactly received good scores for their floor.

Infact 2 boys from their school who were hand fed their routines as they didn't know it have both scored 2.0pts over Lucys score and only 0.2 under Emilys.

So can anyone please tell me what they look for as I have given up, Emily has been invited to join a gymnastics club in order to compete in more competitions and I have to say right at this moment in time there is no way I am putting her or myself through it and letting her join until I know what I am dealing with.

Anyone please help?

Tracy xx

7 Replies to What exactly do Gymnastic Judges look for - schools gymnastics

re: What exactly do Gymnastic Judges look for - schools gymnastics en>fr fr>en
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6829, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 08:48 PM
There is more to it than just dance. The main part of the floor routine is tumbling. What was her skill level compared to the other gymnasts. Each routine is given a start value based on the skills the gymnasts perform. Then thy are given a score on how well they perform those skills including pointed toes straight legs, proper form etc. Smiles and personality are great but they really aren't a major part of the scoring. It's not like figure skating where there is an artistic component to it as well. I hope this helps some.
By horseygymnastmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 480, member since Sat Aug 19, 2006
On Sat Dec 13, 2008 09:41 PM
Edited by horseygymnast (165386) on 2008-12-13 21:43:41
In addition to the dance components, tumbling is very important. Also, all the little things add up a lot. bent legs, un-pointed toes, funny arms, incorrect form when tumbling, stepping out of bounds, ect.

Does their routines have all the compenents required? I'm not too sure how it works for you, but for me, you need a tumbling line (how many you need depends on your level), leap line, mixed series (acro/leaps), and of course dance inbetween. Also, the routine has to be a certain length of time. Again I'm not too sure how your competitions work, but usually boys and girls routines are done/judged differently (men's gymnastics focuses more on strength and control and is not done to music as to womens gymnastics which is more graceful and dance-y and usually choreographed with music), so you can't really compare them (unless of course they are similar then disregard this statement)
By MUMKERR Comments: 1167, member since Mon Nov 20, 2006
On Tue Dec 16, 2008 03:49 PM
Thanks for the information also it is good to know what they are looking for. My daughter has just started at after school gymnastics club and there is a local schools competition in January. We have never been to a gym comp so don't really know what to expect.

She is looking forward to it and has been practicing her routine but I think I am more nervous!

Michelle
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1467, member since Wed Mar 01, 2006
On Mon Dec 22, 2008 04:16 PM
pointed toes, full and beautiful tumbling passes, full splits, straight legs, graceful arms, no wobbles, NO UNDERCUTS in the tumbling passes, and a lot of attitude. Judges love to see that the gymnast is all into it. Looking nervous or bored will give the judge the impression that they aren't prepared.

As for vault, it entirely depends on which vault they are doing. I want to assume it would be a front handspring? But im not sure. If this is the case they need to have a strong push off of the spring board and a long graceful land on the vault, with an even more strong push off of it so they land far away. The further away they land the more impressed the judges will be. and of course the main kicker in this one is STICK THE LANDING. no wobbles, no hops, no steps, no side catches. those are all huge huge deductions
By BackFlic Comments: 91, member since Fri Dec 22, 2006
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:37 AM
Heya
2 reasons i can think of why they didn't get as high score as you hoped
1. they had a too hard routine and couldn't perform the skills properly
2. they had a too easy routine which didn't get them a high enough start value.
At our gym with gymnasts who don't compete very often we allow them to have the routine read to them because often they can't remember it especially if they are nervous or very young.
If the competition is with school then it may just have been her teacher weren't aware of how the judges score so haven't taught her in the best possible way, this may change at a gymnastics club.
Good Luck!
BackFlic
By mum2_3dancersmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4296, member since Tue Jun 08, 2004
On Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:06 PM
Hi

Thanks for all the replies, to answer some of the points raised:

At this particular comp it wasn't done to music its a Level 1 School Comp in which there are a list of moves and you have to pick I think its 6 things from it and then put in linking moves, the moves and routines are made up by their gymnastics teacher.

The Vault is simply a basic vault on then off, I have no problems with the scoring for this as neither of the girls have strong vaults.

Since this post was put on Emily has joined the gymnastics team and they have competed in 2 comps and I have to say I am still no further forward with what is expected lol, the comp we were at yesterday even our coaches and the coach of the school that bet us couldn't understand why our girls didnt get placed before them awaiting the results so I can see if there has been any progression from the previous comp, which to be honest is all I am looking for at the moment.

Take care and once again thank you

Tracy xx
By Amaranthe Comments: 193, member since Wed Mar 29, 2006
On Sat Feb 28, 2009 05:35 AM
Im in Australia and am a judge...not that I have much experience yet! BUt

List of general faults is huge. Everything from bent arms/knees, leg or knee seperation, insufficient height of elements, insufficient split, body posture in dance elements, precision, relaxed/incorrect foot/body/trunk posture, insufficient dynamics.... list goes on. Deduction is between .1 and .8 and can be deducted each time the fault occurs. For example if you have 6 elements and in each one the body is in an incorrect position they can be deducted 6 times at either .1 or .3.

ReplySendWatch