Popular Owners

What to do when some parents are all over the place about costume and recital participation? by swanie1
We don't have enough students at my studio to have separate classes for those that want to be in the...

Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Disco - 18+
Ive been thinking about my dance... en>fr fr>en
By Nightie90member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5814, member since Tue Oct 16, 2007
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:47 AM

Hiya, ive been dancing since i was 12 and in 2007 i started doing competitons, i have dance IDTA and now i dance ISTD, and in 2009 im starting ADFP with my dance school!! Im really starting to think shall i continue to dance? i really enjoy dancing and going and all that, but im 18, one of the eldest at my school and also one of the talest im 5'8!! i always feel abit awkard? Any Thoughts for me? im worried about been a starter at ADFP and been one of the talest etc xxxx

22 Replies to Ive been thinking about my dance...

re: Ive been thinking about my dance... en>fr fr>en
By lundsay_lindzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3760, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 01:10 PM
Hey!
I'm now the oldest competitor at my dance school (as far as i'm aware haha :D )
And i'm 19
So you shouldn't feel awkward age wise
I'm not bothered by my age and dance!
I know there are many older dancers out there!
And as for being a starter,
We all need to begin somewhere!
I have seen a few tall girls competing too!
So either way there are other girls probably worried aboput their height and age!
So just enjoy yourself!! :D
Love Lindz
XxXxX
By Jessi_gurlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1369, member since Fri Oct 10, 2003
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 02:11 PM
Heya!

You sound like my twiin lol! im 18 and 5foot 8 and always feel a bit awkward! But if you love dance then you shouldn't give up! honestly i think everyone feels awkward at times for millions of reasons!

And to be honest being the tallest in your section could be a good thing! You will definatly be seen, i have a few friends who dance in adults and they are quite small and sometimes we cant even see them among the taller dancers! SO being tall does sometimes have its advantages!

If you love dance dont let feeling awkward put you off! i think you should go for it and enjoy it! I love competitions and even though sometimes i feel too tall or old i just remember no one else knows how old i am :P

Good luck and hope to see you on the ADFP dance circuit soon!

Jess xxx
By lauraandlouisemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1683, member since Fri May 06, 2005
On Sun Nov 30, 2008 07:58 AM
Heya i'm 18 and alot of dancers on here are older.and you dont have to be dancing in champs at 18 either as i have lots of friends that are 18 and 19 that are dancing in starters and inters so i really wouldnt worry about it hunny as long as your happy dancing and you said yourself you enjoy it so go out there give the judges a big smile and show them what your made of!

Happy dancing :)

Love Laura
xxxx
By sammyjo Comments: 4543, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Tue Dec 02, 2008 03:01 PM
im the eldest in the bristol side of our school at 19 years
but def not one of the tallest at 5'3"
if you are enjoying dancing then definately continue
if you feel you are not enjoying it then maybe it is time to give up
sammy jo xxx
By Keeley_1987 Comments: 606, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:52 PM
Hi, I wouldnt worry about your age!

Im 21 and the oldest at my dance school too... Im only 5'3 though so most of the girls are taller than me lol!

I didnt start dancing till I was 16 though so I reckon ive still got a couple of years at least in me!!

If you really enjoy dancing then just keep at it... dont let your age or height be a problem!! Just enjoy yourself!!

And you never know... being one of the tallest might help you get noticed!

Happy dancing
Love keeley
xxx
By longtowerbabe Comments: 409, member since Mon Apr 07, 2003
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:35 PM
hey
im 20 years old and im not even the oldest at my studio,
i couldnt even think about giving up dancing yet i love it too much, you should give up when you feel its right for you no matter how old or how tall you are as long as you enjoy it still that is the most important thing,
hope this helps xxx
By Emma1986 Comments: 148, member since Sun Aug 03, 2008
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:50 PM
Hi,
I’m 22 and only started competing in July this year, I have just moved out of starters into inters. I am the oldest to compete in solos at my school but there are girls older than me who compete in our team. It mainly ranges from 16 to 24. I wouldn’t worry about age etc as long as you enjoy dancing that’s the main thing. Plus Adult Starters is a nice section. I’m sure you will do well.
Emma x
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2577, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Wed Dec 10, 2008 04:27 AM
well I beat you all! lol! I'll be turning 25 on Sunday and am just about to start competing next year (was going to be back this year but knee injury got in the way!) I'm also 5'9/10" (depends if I stand up straight!) I'm by far the tallest and oldest at my dance school and sometimes I feel awkward but I just laugh it off! for exmaple, my jumps pretty much suck right now, I cant egt that high no matter how hard I try. I just joke 'ah well when you get to my height and age you have to careful not to hit the ceiling or break a hip!' :)

but seriously, if you still love it dont give up. keep going until you physically cant dance anymore. I gave up at 18 and it was the biggest regret of my life. and I'm so so glad to be back again!

if you feel awkward just think of me and my knees trying to launch of the floor! :)

xxMOOMxx
By XxdancerjoxX Comments: 261, member since Mon May 15, 2006
On Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:29 AM
hiya I really wouldnt worrie bout your age or height at all!
I am 18 and am the oldest dancer at my dance school and I am still competing! like laura said just because your 18 doesnt mean you have to be a champ I no a few dancers who are 18 19 and are still in starters just as long as you enjoy it just go for it and enjoy yourself!
all the best hope you dont give up on your dancing! because of your height or age!! love jo xxx
By dancewivattitudemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 718, member since Tue Aug 23, 2005
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:39 PM
Hi,

I am the oldest in my school and I think its hard because there is pressure to set a good example.

But I have made lots of friends through dance net that I meet up with at comps.

There are always loads of adult starters so dont worry about that!

Jade xxx
By louisekimmitt Comments: 390, member since Tue Apr 01, 2008
On Sun Jan 04, 2009 06:49 AM
Hi!
Im 20 and im the oldest dancer in my school. I've been there since i was 3 and im still going!!! If you enjoy your dancing you should definitely keep going!
Louise x
By Orderleysmile1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1161, member since Tue Nov 15, 2005
On Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 PM
I too know lots of older dancers
we have a few in our school in early twenties.
As for height my daughter is 5 11 and not quite fifteen and dances in starters and she is always the biggest on the floor.
use it to your advantage as you will be noticed more.
love Niki x
By freestylequeen Comments: 2244, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:41 PM
hi

I was the oldest in my dance school and it was one of the reasons I quit. I was going to competitions and i would have been the only one in adult starter so I was getting no were!! but stick at it!!! it will be worth it!!

chloe x x
By catherinetall Comments: 11, member since Tue Nov 18, 2008
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 09:20 AM
Hi,

I stopped competing when i was 21 the oldest in the school still competing and definately the tallest...

i def think you should keep up the dancing and dont let your thoughts make you doubt yourself

being tall myself and now being a teacher one word of advice would be to really pratice and tell your self you are good, your dancing has to come from within... you must believe in yourself when you walk onto the dance floor

make use of your height stand tall and proud and be the best.. u can do it

take care x
By xSisterLovexPremium member Comments: 632, member since Sun Jan 07, 2007
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 09:29 AM
Edited by xSisterLovex (172454) on 2009-01-12 09:31:25
Hi

Don't worry! My eldest daughter is 18 and absolutely loves dancing. She also dances in Starters and is the tallest in her dance school. Char stands 5 ft 11 " in her bare feet, but always looks so stunning and beautiful.

Make the most of your height and stand out on the dance floor.

Mummy Fi

x x x
By Red1980 Comments: 65, member since Mon Sep 22, 2008
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 05:04 AM
Edited by Red1980 (202121) on 2009-01-16 05:06:01
My oldest dancer is 24 and 5'10" and she is beautiful and elegant and a mother herself! I couldn;t be more proud of her and I think your trainer/teacher will feel the same about you....
If you love to dance, then dance babe. Hold you head high, own that floor and be proud and confident...
You've been around this long, dont give up hun - it would be a crying shame to the dance world, and I mean that with all sincerity xx

and in the words of the great tess daley and old brucie... ''Keeeep Dancin'!!! ;) lol x
By Nightie90member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5814, member since Tue Oct 16, 2007
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 AM
Thankyou so much everyone for all the wonderful and very helpful comments!! I am going to carry on dancing because i do love it, it means everything to me! and i have got my first ADFP competiton in 3 weeks in hull and im going to try my best to hold my head up high and make the most of my height!! Thank you so much everyone again!! xxxx
By lundsay_lindzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3760, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 AM
Thats great :D
Good luck for you first comp too
Love Lindz
XxXxX
By CarlyxxxPremium member Comments: 95, member since Thu Jun 29, 2006
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 03:35 PM
hi, im 29 years old, i danced from the age of 3 and i have only just retired (not through choice, my dance school stopped competing), you really will know when its time to give up. i was never bothered about my age and dont let anyone put you off x x x
By Princess_Verity Comments: 170, member since Wed Aug 27, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:34 AM
My dance partner is actully around the same height as you and in starters but is in under 16 so you dont have anything to worry about x
By xcalax Comments: 334, member since Sat Jul 15, 2006
On Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 PM
I think you should carry on if you love it!
you should also love you height I wish I was taller im only 5"3 and its rubbish :)
the oldest girl in our school is 21 and shes still loving it so she still doing it!
hope you make the right dession

love cala xxx
By martine_enjoy Comments: 25, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 AM
I really want to start dancing disco again, and compete. I'm 20 years old and in starter. And I feel so embarrassing about that, beacause I dont know someone here in Norway that is over 18 and in starters. But if I lived in UK I wouldnt think about it at all.

I think you should start competing. :)

ReplySendWatch