Popular Highland

Hair Question by Bellasmum
I have seen several highland dancers wearing what appears to be a "double stacked" bun... I believe...

Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Irish - Adult Dancers
HELP!! 20 year old looking to start dancing again! en>fr fr>en
By Diesel1 Comments: 20, member since Thu Jun 12, 2008
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 03:55 PM

Hi, im 20 years old and am looking to start dancing again, it has been around 8 or 9 years since I last danced and I went to caroline greene's irish dancing school in Glasgow.
Does anyone know of anyone who will take a dancer my age on? And if so how do competitions work with someone my age?
Any information I could get would me much appreciated!!
thanks

17 Replies to HELP!! 20 year old looking to start dancing again!

re: HELP!! 20 year old looking to start dancing again! en>fr fr>en
By Greylone Comments: 96, member since Thu Nov 13, 2008
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 09:55 PM
What area are you in? There are tons of school, but i do understand many wont take adults. Dont fret, there are many that do
Oh and 20 is a great age to dance
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 09:57 PM
I never seem to say everything in one post. talk about scattered lol. Competitions work the same as before except you can compete as an adult or as an "and over"
Im still new too. In north florida
By Mysticalldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 678, member since Thu Feb 05, 2004
On Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 PM
Edited by Mysticalldancer (83784) on 2008-12-01 23:12:12 i forgot that im now 22 (my bday was the other day annd i havent slept much. haha)
i compete as an &over. im 22, although i have danced off and on at my school for years. just call around. many schools will take on dancers in their 20's, although some may be a little more strict on how they want you to compete, whether as an &over or as a adult (but in the end that's really your choice). i would first call your old school as you already have history there.
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 01:29 PM
Thank you very much for your help, I think I will start off by going to see my old dance teacher.
Thanks again
By CelticAngel Comments: 1175, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 05:58 PM
Good on you for deciding to take it up again!

Although the situation is completely different (and I live in Australia!), I started at a new school when I moved cities for university at the age of 18. I have found that I have seen dancing in a new light, what with the change and just being that bit older. There is no reason why, if you can find a school to suit that it will be anything but a positive experience!

Best of luck and let us know how you go!
By Kianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3010, member since Sat Apr 13, 2002
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 06:16 PM
Best of luck! I'm 21 and just got back into competing here in the States. I've found that I dedicate much more time to practice then I did back in high school, and hopefully that'll show in my results next year. I've done two feises and the Oireachtas since coming back, and while I haven't placed yet, I feel I've consistently improved. I'm dancing in the "& overs" and I'm definitely not the oldest. Have fun coming back to the dance scene!
-Heather
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 212, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 AM
I would ask your "old" teacher as first and then I would ask in all schools in your area (phone, email) if they would take you. I found this way a school where I could danced last year (I am 26 now).I think your chances are good because you danced before, so you have experience and as 20 years old you are not too old to take a class for example with senior girls or so. So don't hesitate and ask, ask, ask. Good luck!
With the comps - if you are in Open or so (don't know the grades in UK), there will be no problem to compete in &Overs/Senior,if you are Beginner/Primary, it will be more difficult because in UK are no comps(or I didn't find any) for adults (oldest category usual under13), so if you want compete on this level you'll have propably to go to the "mailand Europe". Anyway, I am sure, your teacher will be able to help you with this :O)
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 03:25 PM
Thanks so much everybody for your help!!
I spoke to my old dance teacher today and she is happy to take me back.
When I go back will I have to go back to beginner again? I didnt get much time to talk about it on the phone to her.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Tue Jan 13, 2009 03:52 PM
You probably won't have to go back to beginner. That is usually the TC's discretion. We have a dancer that stopped for years, and will return to the level she left at. Another one dropped down one level from where she last competed at. They started competing at the level the TC recommended.
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Tue Jan 13, 2009 06:44 PM
Great to here that you're going back to your old school after all those years!

I took 8 years off, returning to ID when I was 23 (I'm now almost 25). I went to a different school - a smaller one - and I went back to Primary (Novice) level. This is actually slightly below what I was doing at my previous school way back when, although I didn't compete the first time around, so it made sense to start off in Primary this time. I would therefore be fairly surprised if you had to start at beginner level again.

Good luck with it! You'll probably soon be wondering how you ever went 9 years without it! :D
By Shopga Comments: 16, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 09:56 AM
we dance for fun here in southeast Georgia-not far from Jacksonville. Soon we will be having an open workshop with a major Irish dancer from River Dance. Workshop is open to all levels.
If interested in attending please call
912-882-5445 and we will return your call.

Comment #7963592 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-02-16 08:57:14 double post

By Rollypolyclub Comments: 216, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:23 AM
Congrats on going back!! I'm 22 (well tomorrow I am!) and I just started back after a 3 year break. Have fun!! I'm glad your old school took you back! (wow I said back a few times in there didn't I? lol)
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 769, member since Tue Jul 01, 2008
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 PM
I didn't even start dancing until my late twenties and currently still dance as an adult in the US. I'd love to get good ehough to go into &overs but I would need to actually PRACTICE (regularly) to do so! Working an hour away from home, 2 nights of ID classes and a night of martial arts isn't really condusive to practice time!

Whichever way you go, enjoy!! And welcome back to dancing!
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 07:47 AM
by chance is there an email addy? Does that interfere with being part of a school? Would this be like a summer camp?
Thanks
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 07:50 AM
And YAY to coming back!!!! Im 28 and started last March. My goal is to hit PW then drop down. But i can only hope to be that good someday. Welcome back!!
By KiraDancesIrishmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 434, member since Sat Jan 17, 2009
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 02:57 PM
good for you to be starting back up again! Im 26 and started about a year and a half ago... I start competing this year.

good luck in whatever group you end up in!

ReplySendWatch