Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Tour jetes
By Dancrkdz Comments: 131, member since Sun Mar 18, 2007
On Thu Dec 18, 2008 06:43 PM

Any ideas on how to help a girl clean up her tour jetes? Are there any exercises to help her scissor her legs properly and land it without over turning? Any suggestions would be nice.

4 Replies to Tour jetes

re: Tour jetes
By ashleysmashley Comments: 39, member since Sat Oct 18, 2008
On Sun Dec 21, 2008 09:42 AM
Hi.

What we do is we go through the tour jete with out leaving the ground. I have no idea how to spell batma(?), like throwing the leg. So you would batma(?)forward, step forward, foute your hips, and batma (?) back. If that makes sence(which I don't think it does.) So you do the tour jete on the ground, where you have control. Other tip: make sure you use your preporation and your plie.

Good Luck and I hope your understand the directions. PM me if you need it more clear.

Have Fun
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 AM
Like the above poster said, practicing on the ground will help you. It's important to keep the grand battment action when you add the jump to it, though. The first kick really needs to come from brushing off the floor, not just lifting your leg. However, a lot of people have trouble with the fouetté part in the air (the part where you switch your facing). I guess the only way to practice that without doing a tour jeté would be to go to the barre and try this exercise: Developé your leg in front of you, let go of the bar, and *quickly* fouette around so that you're in an arabesque. This is the action that's essentially to tour jeté. Spotting is important, because it will give your turn the crispness that it needs to prevent it from looking sloppy.
By JessiDancer4Life Comments: 141, member since Mon Jul 28, 2008
On Tue Dec 23, 2008 01:54 PM
Ah, I love tour jetes! My lyrical class used to practice them like the first poster said do them with out leaving the ground. Then we would progress and not go so far off the ground until we were pretty much flying, lol. :)
By Dancrkdz Comments: 131, member since Sun Mar 18, 2007
On Tue Dec 30, 2008 06:59 AM
Thanks guys! That's how I was taught too. I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions. My main thing is getting her to become more graceful, because she is very rigid and not so lyrically/jazz oriented. She is doing Crush by David Archuletta, and she has already come a long way. She really takes her criticisms to heart when she practices so I think she will get it eventually. Thanks!

ReplySendWatch