Forum: General / Ballroom / Tango

Tango
Learning Argentine Tango
By dance_marketing Comments: 21, member since Wed Dec 17, 2008
On Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:34 AM

Hey guys, I love the way Argentine Tango looks and am wanting to maybe learn how to do it as a follower. Does anyone know of a good Argentine Tango instructional video I could get to learn. I have gotten so many bad videos, I am a little apprehensive about buying another one without a referral.

Thanks Guys!

2 Replies to Learning Argentine Tango

re: Learning Argentine Tango
By Volans Comments: 493, member since Wed Feb 07, 2007
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 04:06 AM
Well, this reply is a little late, but I would say that you can't learn technique from a video very well. Videos work well when you just want to steal a new move, but that only works if you have the good technique first (and they're free on youtube!).

Beware that ballroom dance styles advocate completely different technique than Argentine tango (eg the frame and spine is completely different), so if you have ballroom experience, you'll need to correct this.

Learning tango from a video is much like learning oboe from a video. You really need practical lessons to learn to tango well.
re: Learning Argentine Tango
By Effortless Comments: 32, member since Fri Jan 23, 2009
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 01:53 PM
I agree with the above post: the best way is to dance, dance and dance. And with different partners - to be able to adjust and not just get so used to one single person.
Especially with the Argentine Tango (quite different from the ballroom tango), where as the follower you can close your eyes and just feel this dance- first of all the Argentine Tango is not about tricky steps but about feeling: the music, your balance, your partner's balance.

So the best is really to go to a Milonga and dance (and watch and enjoy the atmosphere).
Enjoy it!

ReplySendWatch