Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Waltz and Slow Tap - Discuss!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Feb 05, 2009 08:16 PM
I haven't heard "lyrical tap" being used, but I'm not surprised - it seems a bit more descriptive than just "slow tap".

Tappergurl, my syllabus is very set with its terminology as well, we just use spring instead of jump. :) In fact, for exams, there is a theoretical component. Students have to be able to give the syllabus definition of any level-appropriate step.

Helen
By tappergurl Comments: 123, member since Tue Feb 01, 2005
On Thu Feb 05, 2009 08:52 PM
Yes. I totally think that the students need to know the definitions for what they're doing! If you don't know what a step is and what it's characteristics are, how can you execute it correctly? I am guilty, though, of using terms interchangeably. Sometimes when I'm teaching I'll shorten heel drop to just "heel", but I'll also shorten a heel stud to just "heel"! I put a lot of emphasis on being able to talk out the steps with the kids so I try to set a good example!
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1190, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 03:51 AM
One of the troubles I have noticed in the comp scene over here (Australia).. Is that a lot of judges, if they are not highly tap trained.. do not recognise the added difficulty of a very technically difficult slow tap, purely because it is slow. One of my solos years ago was a slow/fast (half slow song, half fast song) blues style dance.... And i often got the impressions it wasn't seen nearly as impressive as the faster tap solos with much easier technique. Frustrating.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch