Forum: Folk / Folk - General

Bollywood
By IDHypnotistPremium member
On Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:34 AM

Hey --

Another Irish Dancer wanders over to visit....

I've just started taking Bollywood classes recently, and it's a blast!! Bollywood is a form of dance invented for and by the Mumbai (formerly Bombay) movie industry. Like other film inspired dance forms (Dirty Dancing comes to mind immediately), it incorporates many other styles in its choreography and movements. Since it was invented in India, many moves from traditional Indian forms are incorporated. This, of course, probably drives the practitioners of the traditional forms nuts, since nothing is done in the purely traditional way (much as the leprechaun forms of irish dance drive me nuts).

Other dance forms incorporated include hip-hop, swing, belly, aerobics 80's style, and a few others. It's relatively high impact, bouncy and lots of fun. I don't know if there are any "certifications" for teachers, but the best will be well-schooled (and preferably certified) in belly, traditional Indian, or other related dance forms. I'd avoid anyone who is strictly self-taught through videos -- you can do that yourself without the danger of an inexperienced instructor.

ReplySendWatch