Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Page:
Page 8 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
re: HELP Let others know about how an auition was/what it involved!
By MeaMSBMD Comments: 121, member since Tue May 21, 2013
On Tue May 21, 2013 05:55 PM
What did you audition for?
Kirov academy DC

What age group did you attend?
I think it was fourteen plus (I'm 14).

What was the easiest thing about the audition? Everything was very simple. I have not a lot of experience and I felt fine. :)

What was the hardest thing about the audition?
Well, at barre, I was like facing the back, in the back corner of the room, and I felt so uncomfortable and nervous. I would have really preferred to be facing the front and not be in the back. Also, when we were doing the sau de chats, I had the wrong arms and I didn't know the right arms so I just kept the wrong arms and he just kept yelling at me "WRONG ARMS WRONG ARMS WRONG ARMS."

Was it crowded?
No, there were like 20 people.

How much was on pointe?
None.

How many pirouettes were you expected to do?
I was really disappointed actually that there were zero combinations with pirouettes, or any turns.

Were there fouettes?
No.

Did you have fun?
Yes! I had a lot of fun!:). I'd never been to an audition before, it was kind of like a trial, I didn't expect to get in and such. I just wanted to see what it was like. However, my brother and I were both accepted. My brother got a 50% scholarship though... I did not. Lol.
By Bunheadwithtutus Comments: 58, member since Fri Feb 08, 2013
On Sat Jun 01, 2013 08:39 AM
-what did you audition for?
Bolshoi Ballet Academy Summer Intensive

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific)
9-14 (i believe)

-what was the easiest thing at the audition?
Barre...it was easy for me because I was used to all of the steps that they used

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition?
Across the floor... The center floor combinations were easy but across the floor was difficult because we did one step I hadn't heard.

-was it crowded?
No really because the room was HUGE... Prob about 60-70 kids

-how much was en pointe?
Only the last 15-25 minutes.... I feel that they wanted to do more but, alot of the childeren (all ages from 9-14) were having trouble with the pointe work....I personally wish they had done more pointe work because I found the combinations easy

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do?
2.. We could do more if we wanted but the music didn't really allow for it

-did you have to do fouettes?
No! Thank goodness!!

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!)
YES! I loved the teacher , the pianist, the room and the environment...
On Sun Jan 12, 2014 05:51 PM
-what did you audition for? PNB, at Maryland Youth Ballet, Peter Boal taught.

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) there was one age group, 12-18. I'm 15.

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Actually all of it was very easy and very fun!

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? There was one petit allegro combination that confused me a little bit.

-was it crowded? YES! So crowded, they had to split us into two separate auditions. I was in the later one and there were like 50 of us. There were like 75 in the first audition. They said they had planned on having 50, total.

-how much was en pointe? Just two combinations! One that was all releves and one that was piques (not turns), a soutenu turn and then a pirouette.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? During some combinations he said one and during others he said two. Some people did more than that.

-did you have to do fouettes? Nope

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes! It was a lot of fun!:) probably the best audition I've been to yet. I certainly don't expect to be accepted, but i loved going!
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 01:37 PM
-what did you audition for? Miami City Ballet, I auditioned at SAB, Olivier Pardina taught.

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 15-18. Lots of SAB girls and boys lol.

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Adagio, pirouettes and grande allegro.
They were all simple combinations and grande allegro was very fun!
-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? At barre, the people next to me kept kicking me. It was very frustrating because I was trying so hard to get out of their way. Even, the person to the left of me, someone was meant to stand to the left of her but they left or something but she didn't even move down. There was a point where I skipped a part of the combination because it was so distracting to be kicked by two people at once. They made no effort to stop kicking me lol.

-was it crowded? Yes! Quite. I had been there ridiculously early because my friend was in the 11-14 age group, which had about 30 people, but then for my age group there were so many that they split us into two groups. There were 60 in my group and I'm not sure how many in the next group.

-how much was en pointe? All of center

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) I did, but I had gotten so frustrated at barre with the girls kicking me it had really messed me up and then Pardina was so hard to understand. But grande allegro was so fun.
By beachballerina Comments: 6, member since Sun Jan 19, 2014
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 03:45 PM
-what did you audition for?-
I auditioned for the rock school

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific)
14+

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition?
Barre was very easy to pick up

there were a lot of turns at the barre, and turing is my weak point

-was it crowded?
no there were only 20 girls.

-how much was en pointe?
All of center, but the combinations were pretty simple.

it was fine if you only did one but most people did two

no, thankfully

Yeah, it was so much fun, and the woman who taught the class was very sweet

I got in! It's currently my top choice, I loved it.
By hannah_ballet Comments: 43, member since Mon Aug 12, 2013
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 05:22 PM
-what did you audition for? Boston Ballet!

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) It was supposed to be 10-18, but it was too crowded so they split it up into 10-14 and 15-18, and I'm 15 :)

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Grande Allegro! It was really fun and dance-y if that makes sense haha you could really use your artistry and have fun

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Oh my gosh so many of the combinations were tricky and hard! You could tell she was really throwing a lot of curveballs to see how we'd handle the hard combos! Barre was hard and sometimes she was across the room and I couldn't really see or hear her demonstrating/explaining the combos so I was lost! And the timing and musicality was tricky in center!

-was it crowded?
Well it was before the split us up (80 people in a kinda smaller studio) but it was 30 in the younger and 50 in my group so not too bad :)

-how much was en pointe?
Just one combination in the center..it was a tricky one though! No turns or anything though

2, a few did three, a few did one

nope!

Yes!! Even though it was challenging and tricky I had fun and the teacher was SOOO nice and she gave corrections and she was just so sweet and friendly! Really fun :)
By lovedance1501 Comments: 27, member since Mon Jan 06, 2014
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 03:03 PM
Doing video auditions is a great way to show them your stuff without leaving your hometown! I know this isn't really on topic but it's what I did this year for Kirov, ABT, and Rock, and I was accepted to Kirov on a 25% scholarship :) (I don't know about ABT or Rock yet). I'll post when I audition for SAB though!!!
By hannah_ballet Comments: 43, member since Mon Aug 12, 2013
On Sun Jan 26, 2014 08:07 PM
-what did you audition for? American Academy of Ballet!

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) It was all ages together.

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Basically all of it! It was a really easy class which was nice so you didn't have to really worry about messing up the combinations ya know. Umm the very easiest thing was prolly barre (all of it haha) and adagio in the center.

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Well the petite allegro was really easy but we did it soo many times that it became hard after a while haha. And we each had to do a pirouette alone which was easy but scary! and Pique turns on pointe alone which was easy but scary too. So nothing was really that hard :)

-was it crowded? about 53 people, but it was a nice sized space...barre was pretty crowded but center was fine

-how much was en pointe? a few really short exercises, and then we had to do pique turns on pointe from the diagonal one by one!

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? They didn't specify--when we each went one by one doing a pirouette, he said he'd rather a clean single than a messy double or triple. (A bunch of people did doubles anyway and it was fine)

-did you have to do fouettes? Nope!

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yeah!! Really easy class which made it possible to show your artistry and technique! All of the combinations were really dance-y and pretty, and the teacher was nice, they told us before the class started "don't be stressed, we're all friends here, this class is just for you to show us what you can do" so it was a good environment! The only thing was it was a bit disorganized (they only had 40 numbers printed so some people had paper handwritten numbers and the teacher accidently changed the combination and then got all confused at one point haha) but it was still fun! :)
By Ceecee320 Comments: 2, member since Tue Jan 28, 2014
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 06:14 PM
How about Washington? Can anyone tell me about that program?
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 AM
what did you audition for? LINES Summer Program

-what age group you attended? 11-15

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? Probably petit allegro, bt it was a pretty challenging class

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? We had to improvise across the floor at the end, which was pretty nerve-wracking. Also the adagio and some stuff at barre were hard.

-was it crowded? yes, maybe 50 people

-how much was en pointe? they didn't ask for pointe

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? they didn't specify, but most did two

-did you have to do fouettes? no

-did you have fun??? yes!!!!!
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:08 PM
-what did you audition for? SAB summer course

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 12-14

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? We did a few very simple combinations for plies, pirouettes from fifth, and pointe.

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? The teacher moved SO fast throughout the barre combinations.

-was it crowded? Not really, there were 38 girls and 2 boys.

-how much was en pointe? The last 10 minutes. We just did echappes, passés, susus, shanzmas (spelling? Haha) on pointe, and pas de bourre.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? Doubles on both sides with the signature straight back leg of Balanchine... On the right I nailed it and accidentally did a triple, haha, but on the left it wasn't too good

-did you have to do fouettes? Nope!

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes! I didn't do as well as I possibly could've because I was nervous, but even if I didn't get in, it was a great master class haha!
By sydrose Comments: 31, member since Wed Feb 05, 2014
On Wed Feb 05, 2014 01:03 PM
1. Washington ballet summer intensive
2. 13 and up
3. Turns jumps etc
4. Pointe and some barre
5. No
6.2 or more
7. No
8. Sure
By balletmac Comments: 67, member since Sat Jan 25, 2014
On Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 PM
what did you audition for? PNB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 14-15

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Barre

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Probably the pointe work, though it wasn't too challenging

-was it crowded? No, at least for an audition in LA. There were 30 of us

-how much was en pointe? Just echappes, simple pirouettes and piques across the floor

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? A few on flat, and some en pointe

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!). Definitely!! Abbie Siegel taught our class and was an incredible teacher, she gave out great corrections and tips. You could tell she really cared about everyone there.
By balletbot Comments: 28, member since Mon Jan 06, 2014
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:35 PM
-what did you audition for? Kirov Ballet In DC ( KAB )

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 14-18

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? hmm….

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? The teacher taught the combinations really quick

-was it crowded? only about 20 people

-how much was en pointe? 0%

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? They didn't really mention anything but the combinations were for doubles which is probably safe.

-did you have to do fouettes? Yea! I was really excited because they are the best I have ever done!

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes! I got in too!
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:45 PM
balletbot wrote:

-what did you audition for? Kirov Ballet In DC ( KAB )

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes! I got in too!

I'm going! Hope to see you there?! Pm me!
By sydbbdance Comments: 11, member since Wed Feb 12, 2014
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:34 PM
-what did you audition for? - PNB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) - 12-14

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? - pointe and the barre combinations

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? - I guess getting over nerves and relaxing!

-was it crowded? - Yes! They had to split us up into 2 groups

-how much was en pointe? - The last 30 min

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? - 2

-did you have to do fouettes? - nope!

-did you have fun??? yes!!! The class was very basic and they basically just wanted to see pointed feet long, straightened legs, and a very tight 5th position!

I also have a question, what leotards can you wear to PNB summer intensive? I know that its solid colored leotards, but can you have a colored trim? I'm so psyched about going!!
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 AM
what did you audition for?

The Rock School for Dance Education.

I was 14, but I auditioned with the 8-13 year olds (I'm a late starter so I'm just a little behind my age group)

Probably all of barre. It was pretty simple, but that's good for an audition because you can really focus on your technique.

The pirouette combinations in center!I'm not a good turner haha. There were like 4 combinations in center that involved pirouettes.

-was it crowded?

Yes. There were maybe 30-40 people there.

-how much was en pointe?

Not everyone was required to do pointe because some people had not gotten onto pointe yet. However, for the people that were on pointe, we did it for maybe the last 15 minutes?

They only told us to do a single, but some people did doubles. I didn't see any triples (although I'm sure many of the girls were capable of that)

No!!! Thank God!

Yes! It was really fun! Although it was an audition, Stephanie and Bo (the directors of the school who ran the audition) were really nice and gave a lot of corrections, although they were not individual, just general. It felt more like a class than an audition. I loved the combinations they gave.

They let you know at the end of the audition whether you got in or not. I was accepted! However, this year I have decided to go to CPYB (central pennsylvania youth ballet) instead. I decided to do this mostly because I have read so many reviews saying that the Rock over-packs their classes and you don't get many individual corrections or improve that much. At CPYB, I have heard that you improve times a billion!
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 04:21 PM
Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet

There was the junior audition (13 and under I think) and then there was supposed to be only one group of older girls but there ended up being more people than they expected so they split the older girls into two groups, the first group (14-15) and the second group (16+). I was put into the 16+ group because I'm turning 16 over the summer, but since I'm a late starter I wish I had spoken up and asked to go with the 14-15 year olds.

-what was the easiest thing at the audition?
The barre was short and not too hard to pick up.

Some of the center combinations were a bit fast.

-was it crowded?
Yes, there were more people than they expected. But since they split the older group in half it wasn't too bad. About 30 girls per group. I didn't think that was too much, but this was my first audition so I don't really know.

-how much was en pointe?
None! None of the classes did pointe. I've heard that they rarely make the auditioners do pointe, and I really like that because they focus on technique.

No, thank jesus.

Yes. Gelsey taught the class and Michael Chernov observed the students. Gelsey was really nice and a great teacher. It was a fun class, and I think that even if aren't going there it'll be a good experience. My audition class personally was really short maybe 45 minutes but I think that's only because there was more people than expected and they had to separate the older girls into two groups.

I got accepted into the Fast Track intensive, which is what I applied for as I'm a late starter, but I've decided I'm going to CPYB. :)
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:17 PM
-what did you audition for? Colorado Ballet.
But it was kind of a different experience because I had already enrolled in Kirov (this was a LATE audition) but I knew the teacher, and so I went to the audition just to take a class with her (it was in my hometown) and got a discount because I wasn't actually auditioning. But I noticed there were no reviews of the Colorado Ballet audition so.. here I am :P

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) All ages together, since it's a very small location. The age range was 10-15.

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? Everything was really quite easy.

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Err.. umm.. nothing was hard, but I guess compared to everything else, adagio was tough :P

-was it crowded? Nope! I'd take a guess at 20 people?

-how much was en pointe? The girls that weren't en pointe did a little combo while we got our pointes on and quickly warmed up, then they sat down. The girls that were on pointe did an echappe/passe combo, a pirouette combo, a pique turn combo, and grande allegro in pointes.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? The floor was kinda sticky so she said 1 was perfectly fine, LOL. However doubles were the norm and I did triples :)

-did you have to do fouettes? Nope, LOL. The ten year olds wouldn't have been able to cope :P

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) For sure! It was a great class even though I didn't actually audition ;)
By behindbarres Comments: 84, member since Sun Mar 30, 2014
On Tue Apr 08, 2014 02:02 PM
Edited by behindbarres (265913) on 2014-04-08 14:07:49
what did you audition for? ABT in Boston

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 11-14?...something like that

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Warming up- you got warm in one excersize! and the pointe work

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? trying not to get intimidated

-was it crowded? YES!!! 100+ people in my audition! 4 people at a barre and they had to bring extras in

-how much was en pointe? VERY little. One excersize at the end which was eleves in 1st, 2nd, and 5th

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 1-2, they said only do 2 if they are clean

-did you have to do fouettes? single fouette

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) it was ok, there were a lot of people and the teachers kinda got annoyed with you if you messed up or went at the wrong time. It was also annoying when girls would practice the combination at the side. xD Also it didn't feel like a class...they just gave you combination after combination-no corrections or anything. they made us go by number across the floor and it was REALLY stressful to get in the number groups because they just said get in your groups and started the music( keep in mind you didnt know them beforehand and you don't know anyone)- if the group was wrong they would get really annoyed with you :/
By JoeSkinnies Comments: 33, member since Sat May 03, 2014
On Sun Jun 01, 2014 03:29 PM
I went to the Nutmeg Ballet Conservatory SI audition and it was kinda hard, but the teacher was super nice and instead of sitting there and letting you mess up in the audition, she would stop you and help you, I think she did this to see how easy you are to work with.
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Tue Jul 29, 2014 06:11 PM
Edited by balletgilly3 (263192) on 2014-07-29 18:24:19 meant to be a PM
I wanted to delete this response but I didn't know how, so sorry! So here I am just saying I deleted what was here before....
By carlyeeeeee Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 09, 2014
On Sun Jan 11, 2015 07:42 AM
-what did you audition for? PBT

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 12-20

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? barre and the tendu combo in center

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? 2nd petite allegro!

-was it crowded? Around 50 people

-how much was en pointe? 2 combos

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2+

-did you have to do fouettes? Only if you were auditioning for the company experience.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes! much more than I thought I would. there was a LOT of talent in the room, so I think my results could go either way
By ballerina_bella1 Comments: 38, member since Fri Jun 06, 2014
On Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:58 AM
ABT

14-15

pointe was very easy

nothing really, the arms were a bit weird

-was it crowded?
YES. I was number 91 out of like 150.

-how much was en pointe?
hardly 10 minutes, and it was easy

doubles

oh god no

yes, i did, I auditioned in NYC, and the floors were amazing, and the teachers were nice!

Bolshoi SI

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too
specific)
9-14, but they split us into three age groups during the class

center was easy enough

Pointe, because we did lots of turns, and the floors were slippery :(

-was it crowded?
no, like maybe 35 people

-how much was en pointe?
About 4 combinations

doubles, some did triples

no!

yes, the audition teacher was my normal class teacher, and my friends were all there, so it was really low pressure haha :)
By carlyeeeeee Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 09, 2014
On Mon Jan 12, 2015 06:41 AM
-what did you audition for? PNB with Peter Boal

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) ages 12-14

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? I thought the whole audition was fairly easy!

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? nothing really!

-was it crowded? About 50 people.

-how much was en pointe? one combination with only releves

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2

-did you have to do fouettes? 1 italian foutte on flat

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes!!!! I really hope I am accepted, I LOVED the class!
Page:
Page 8 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch