Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Page:
Page 9 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
re: HELP Let others know about how an auition was/what it involved!
By Ballet_May Comments: 12, member since Sun Jan 04, 2015
On Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:00 PM
What did I audition for: Boston ballet

What age group I attended: one large age group for all ages, auditioned for the older program ( I am 14 and will be 15 by day of program)

What was the easiest thing about the audition: everything was very simple and very basic audition testing out cleanliness and technique. Barre was probably the simplest.

What was the hardest thing about the audition: nothing really, the pirruotte combination was slightly difficult but only because of the music. It was to fat for the combination but despite that everything was pretty simple.

Was it crowded: YES! I feel as though Boston ballet auditions are always crowded but this may be because it was for all age groups in one classroom.

How much was on pointe: very little. I think we did three combinations on pointe all very simple.

How many pirrouttes were you expected to do: for the younger girls 1-2 and older girls 2. We were not expected to do multiple pirrouttes. It was more important to be clean for the combinations during this audition especially for older girls.

Did you do fouttes: No.

Did you have fun: YES! I love the class so much and I can't wait to go to Boston this summer!

Also results were in very quickly and I heard back in 4 days after the audition.
By purpleballerina Comments: 44, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Mon Jan 19, 2015 07:21 PM
Edited by purpleballerina (244723) on 2015-01-19 19:23:39
**For anyones information, I just turned 15 and I am trained classically and slightly balanchine.

-what did you audition for? Boston Ballet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 10-18

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? Generally very easy and simple to accommodate the younger dancers.

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? Again, my audition was very simple to accommodate the younger dancers. I don't think there would be anything that was considered too hard from a younger dancer's perspective either.

-was it crowded? Over 60 people maybe? It was very crowded in the studio.

-how much was en pointe? Only a little at the end, maybe 2 combinations. No turns.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? On flat 1-2 (depending on age).

-did you have to do fouettes? No.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes, but it was very simple. I had a friend who attended an audition with many age groups and she said it was pretty difficult but she loved it.

**EXTRA NOTE: I received an acceptance 5 days later by email. I auditioned on a Sunday and received the email on a Thursday. The same thing happened for my friend that auditioned a week later.

----

-what did you audition for? SFB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 14-15

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? Plies.

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? Generally more difficult. Have your mind ready.

-was it crowded? Yes, maybe 50 girls and 7 boys.

-how much was en pointe? One turning combination at the end across the floor. (Included soutenus, pique turns, step-ups/lame ducks, and arabesque)

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2

-did you have to do fouettes? No.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes. I loved the auditioner. I am not sure of his name, but he was a previous principal dancer with SFB.

----

-what did you audition for? PNB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 15-18 *I was super nervous having just turned 15 and being in the older age group.

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? Plies.

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? The combinations in center were complex and involved.

-was it crowded? Yes, about 50 girls in a smaller studio.

-how much was en pointe? All of center for 15-16. For 17-18 the whole audition was en pointe.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2 en dehours and eh dedant.

-did you have to do fouettes? one Italian fouette en pointe.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) I absolutely LOVED IT. <3 <3
By czballerina Comments: 1, member since Fri Jan 23, 2015
On Fri Jan 23, 2015 07:02 AM
-what did you audition for? SAB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) I think it was 12-14

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Most of it was easy and simple

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Mainly the musicality

-was it crowded? yes- 65 people

-how much was en pointe? 2 or 3 combos

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? singles, sometime she asked for double piques on some people's last pique turn

-did you have to do fouettes? no

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes! Katrina Killian taught my audition and she was very nice!

-what did you audition for? BalletMet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) I think it was all combined

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Barre

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Pointe

-was it crowded? No 10 people

-how much was en pointe? 3-4 combinations I think

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? Doubles

-did you have to do fouettes? No

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yep! and Timothy Lynch taught, he gave corrections and I was sweating on the third combination! It wasn't too hard, just right.
By erin01 Comments: 4, member since Tue Aug 12, 2014
On Sun Jan 25, 2015 09:43 AM
-what did you audition for? PNB!

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific)I think it was 12-14

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition?Pointe--we just did releves!!

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition?Uh probably just how every one was so intimidating and they were all just trying to be perfect (which I've found doesn't help during auditions)

-was it crowded?Yes, very

-how much was en pointe?Just releves

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do?Just two but I think some people did three

-did you have to do fouettes? Nope

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes!!!I loved it(especially since I GOT IN!)
By carlyeeeeee Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 09, 2014
On Thu Feb 05, 2015 06:29 AM
-what did you audition for? Boston Ballet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 10-14

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? everything! Since we were with 10 year olds, it was a VERY simple audition.

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? The jump combination we did involved a step that confused just about everyone in the room.

-was it crowded? Around 50 people

-how much was en pointe? Just 3-4 combinations

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? older ones- doubles, younger ones- singles

-did you have to do fouettes? nope

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Yes
By carlyeeeeee Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 09, 2014
On Thu Feb 05, 2015 06:33 AM
-what did you audition for? Kansas City Ballet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) all ages

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? barre and pirouettes

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Adagio and petit allegro

-was it crowded? no only 6 people

-how much was en pointe? 3 combinations I think

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? doubles

-did you have to do fouettes? it was optional on pointe. One girl did, and the other 5 of us did turns from 5th.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes it was great!
By MeaMSBMD Comments: 121, member since Tue May 21, 2013
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 PM
-what did you audition for? School of American Ballet... Kay Mazzo taught at Maryland Youth Ballet in Silver Spring.

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 16-18

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? The combinations were very easy. The hardest thing was staying on the music I guess.

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? The petit allegro combination was awkward. It was very simple but very uncomfortable.

-was it crowded? Very tiny! Less than 30 people! Easily the smallest audition I've ever been to.

-how much was en pointe? All of it.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? Singles or doubles (she specified when she wanted a single vs when she wanted a double... It was mostly singles)

-did you have to do fouettes? No, I think she wanted to but we ran out of time.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) yes! I did have fun. Some of the kids there were very disrespectful to SAB though. The Kirov academy is in DC and a lot of kids were from there... They were bashing the balanchine method. It was very strange.

----

-what did you audition for? Pacific Northwest Ballet, Peter Boal taught at the school of Pennsylvania Ballet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 15-18

-what was the easiest thing at the audition? barre

-what was the hardest thing about the audition? petit allegro... I got confused because the combination was very very similar to a combination I've been doing for years and my "muscle memory" really wanted me to do the wrong combination lol.

-was it crowded? Not really. There were about 25 girls and maybe 6-10 boys.

-how much was en pointe? Everything.

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? He said singles or doubles, but there was one boy who was overexagerating everything... I think he did like 5 or 6.

-did you have to do fouettes? Yes! Two en pointe in the grand allegro combination, starting with the left. Most people ended up just having time for one.

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) I HAD SO MUCH FUN. Everytime I take ️Peter Boal's class i almost feel like every combination is made for me. Everything feels so natural and its great! .
By BalletIrish4evr Comments: 8, member since Tue Feb 17, 2015
On Tue Feb 17, 2015 01:39 PM
This was my experience auditioning for the Kirov academy of ballet. I am proud to say I was accepted and will be attending this summer!

~Kirov academy of ballet

~Ages 11-13

~The easiest thing were the Portebras

~The hardest was Grande Allegro

~No it was not crowded, There were only 9 dancers.

~There wasn't any pointe.

~they Only expected 2 pirouettes.

~No they did not ask for fouettes.

~I had tons of fun because they spent more time on each dancer. Plus there were more combonations in the center (more pirouettes and jumps.)
By amy00 Comments: 10, member since Fri Feb 20, 2015
On Mon Feb 23, 2015 08:18 AM
I auditioned for the Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet

I think the age group was something like 13-16

the easiest thing at the audition was probably the adage. it was very simple and to the point.

the hardest things were probably the petite allegro, they had a few of them and its not my strongpoint at all

there were around 60 people altogether but they split us into two classes of 30 each

there was no pointe in the audition :(

you were expected to do doubles

there were no fouettes

i had a lot of fun!! the class was taught by gelsey kirkland and it really wasnt very hard overall.
By phoenix146 Comments: 16, member since Thu Jun 12, 2014
On Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 PM
What did I audition for: The Rock School

What age group I attended: 14+

What was the easiest thing about the audition: nothing specific, all the combinations were very simple.

What was the hardest thing about the audition: we did barre in a smaller studio and it was super cramped. i couldn't even see the instructor, i just listened to the disembodied voice and tried not to hit anyone.

Was it crowded: yes, 60 girls 10 guys.

How much was on pointe: about half the audition.

How many pirrouttes were you expected to do: no one specified. I'd say a clean double, though they did seem to appreciate it when girls went for more even if they bobbled.

Did you do fouttes: No.

Did you have fun: yes.
By Dandeliondaisy Comments: 125, member since Sat Jun 08, 2013
On Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 PM
-what did you audition for?
Ellison Ballet

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific)
15 and up

-what was the easiest thing at the audition?
The combinations were relatively simple, but overall it was the most difficult class physically that I've ever taken, because I am not trained Vaganova.

-what was the hardest thing about the audition?
The barre was very hard, because we went one thing right into another since the teacher taught very quickly. Adagio at barre and in center in particular were the most difficult.

Also, for center the auditioner (Ms. Valeikaite) recorded us on her iPad, which was intimidating and I wasn't expecting it, so just a warning that it might happen for you! :)
-was it crowded?
Not at all, my age group had around 25, but the younger age group had a ton of people

-how much was en pointe?
We only did 3 combinations en pointe- echappes and releves, pirouettes, and fouettes

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do?

-did you have to do fouettes?
Yes, and if you were a lefty you got to do it with other lefties (lucky me!)

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!)
Yes! I know I won't get in, but it was definitely one of the best classes I've ever taken and a great experience.
By Dandeliondaisy Comments: 125, member since Sat Jun 08, 2013
On Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:17 PM
Edited by Dandeliondaisy (259307) on 2016-01-17 23:22:28
-what did you audition for?
PNB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific)
15 and up

-what was the easiest thing at the audition?
All the combinations were easy to remember

-what was the hardest thing about the audition?
Nothing was really difficult, but I would say making sure I got all the little details correct that they wanted.

-was it crowded?
Yes, around 60 people in my age group and overall there were over 100 people auditioning
-how much was en pointe?
If you were 16 and up you had the option of doing all of it in pointe shoes, but otherwise everyone put them on for center

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do?

-did you have to do fouettes?
No

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!)
Yes!
By miareiland Comments: 12, member since Wed Jan 06, 2016
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 07:03 PM
-what did you audition for? PNB

-what age group you attended (young middle or old if you dont want to be too specific) 12-14

-whatwas the easiest thing at the audition? Most of the combinations were pretty simple

-what was the hardest thing bout the audition? Everything was super fast!

-was it crowded? Yes! 80 dancers

-how much was en pointe?- Only 1 Combination

-how many pirouettes were you expected to do? 2

-did you have to do fouettes? No

-did you have fun??? (I hope you did!) Kind of. I liked taking class from Mr Boal, but it was super crowded!
By SydnieBallerina Comments: 20, member since Mon Jun 13, 2016
On Sat Jul 30, 2016 08:47 AM
I auditioned for the Pennsylvania Ballet Summer Intensive.

I don't remember as this was so long ago, but I believe it was the 11-12 year old group, or the 10-11 year old group. I really don't remember!

The easiest thing at the audition was the barre.

It wasn't crazy crowded. There were about 35 kids there.

None of it was en pointe.

We were expected to do only two or three pirouettes. Even one was acceptable.

We didn't do any fouettes! Thank the lord!

I did have lots of fun :).
Page:
Page 9 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch