Popular Ballet

Adult Beginner classes are too advanced for me! by TrockaderTrainee
How can we be expected to do Round de jamb en láire when most adult beginners don't even have...

Forum: Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Hip Hop
Hip hop for 4-5 year olds? en>fr fr>en
By dancediva1216 Comments: 7, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 09:48 PM

Hi there, I will soon be teaching hip hop to an age group that I never have before. I was hoping to get some help from someone who has taught a pre/tot hip hop class. What sorts of movements, steps, did you work on?

Any ideas would help!

4 Replies to Hip hop for 4-5 year olds?

re: Hip hop for 4-5 year olds? en>fr fr>en
By danceaholic_xoxo Comments: 501, member since Tue Dec 23, 2008
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 PM
I haven't taught anyone that age, but from seeing other classes that my teacher teaches at this age level, they did kick ball changes, step taps, slides, and different mini jumps (such as bounce, jump out, criss-cross, etc.)

you might get some better answers if you post in the teachers section.
By Jazztchr Comments: 32, member since Thu Jan 08, 2009
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 AM
i have never taught this age, i just recommend being careful with tehe music, i find that even if i use the clean version some parents still get upset and say that their child listens to it at home and does not knwo the difference in the song and they end up listening to the unedited version
By kaylahpearlPremium member Comments: 253, member since Tue Feb 03, 2009
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 PM
I live in a hick town and have to be sooo careful. I teach hip hop but have called it kids hop instead or also jazz hop. That way it does not seem so "ghetto" for my close minded town. Also i make sure to do some jazz technique in my class, after warming up and stretching i make sure to be tendus and isolations. Also free dancing across the floor the kids love as well. I teach a "kids hop" 5-7 yrs and 8+. I try to use old school jackson five, instrumentals to popular songs. I am also use jesse macartney, LFO, jojo, ally and aj ect. Nothing to hard core. I have to be really careful in my small town!!!! Even the words sexy, crunk, booty, are not ok with most parents. I am also very careful when doing hip isolations. I never say booty or hip shaking, its ALWAYS isolations!!! Any who i hope this helped!!!
By dancemachine16 Comments: 43, member since Thu Apr 16, 2009
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 AM
I have taught this age for a few years now, and they are actually my favorite age of hip hop! Make everything super exciting for them! I do stuff across like jump claps, drags and slides, I also get them to do their own walks, it's a good time for them to express themselves.

I agree though, be careful with music there is alot of really cute little kid "hip-hop" songs out there though! Raven from "That's So Raven" has some super cute ones, we used "that's what little girls are made of" last year ADORABLE! and anything by Prima J is cute GOOD LUCK!

ReplySendWatch