Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Making dancing barefoot easier...HELP!!!!
By luvs2dancealot
On Sun Jan 11, 2009 08:17 PM

So we need to dance barefoot this year. I can't turn barefoot for my life!!! What can i do to make it easier? I know I need to build up calluses, is there a fast way to do that? Is there something i could put on my feet to make it easier to turn. I once heard baby powder works. Any suggestions????

20 Replies to Making dancing barefoot easier...HELP!!!!

re: Making dancing barefoot easier...HELP!!!!
By Merle1
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 04:05 AM
My experience is that by just doing it, it will go better every time. And don't be afraid of dancing barefoot. I think it's the best way for modern dance.

You could try legwarmers - pull them half under your feet and it will be easier to turn. When you get more comfortable you can take them of.
Or you could do the first lessons on socks.

I hope this helps.
By TamarinPremium member
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 04:09 AM
Walk around barefoot at home. The more time you spend with bare feet the quicker you will build calluses.

You can also put some strapping tape across the balls of your feet. This will make it easier to turn, but will be more slippery in general.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 12, 2009 09:17 PM
It is really easy to build up foot calluses if you live in a warm climate and can go barefoot all the time but really difficult in a colder climate where that is just not practical. For that matter, even if you live in a warmer climate if you keep shoes on in an air conditioned house and wear shoes all day at work you'll have a difficult time. When I was a kid in Miami my feet got soft during the school year but it took only a couple of weeks of summer to get them back to where they could walk anywhere, even over stones or hot pavement. Those were a rough couple of weeks, though!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 05:42 PM
Be barefoot as much as you can, walk around barefoot, dance barefoot etc.
By Hoodster777member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 07:54 PM
Like everyone else said, walk around barefoot!! The callouses will come soon. And practice simple turns, just to get your feet used to turning, don't start whipping out doubles and triples =D
By msdancerina14member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 03:23 PM
I use Foot Undeez from Capezio.
You put them over the ball of your foot and they come in nude, cheetah, pink w/ white polka dots, and zebra colors!
Try them, they're great :) :)
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 07:34 PM
Yeah, like everyone said walk around barefoot. You could also do lots of turns barefoot.

To get my calluses stronger, I walked around my room for 10 minutes, and I did 50 turns (pirouettes,pique turns, attitude turns). Then I did this outside on my concrete patio. It sounds bad but it didn't hurt at all. I got a tiny scar here and there, but it's worth it :D
By Ballerinacaz
On Sat Jan 31, 2009 03:08 AM
msdancerina14 wrote:

You put them over the ball of your foot and they come in nude, cheetah, pink w/ white polka dots, and zebra colors!

I was just thinking 'Foot Undeez' when I read this thread. You can get them from places like discount dance. If you get the nude coloured ones then on stage, you'd pretty much look like you where actually barefoot. Other wise, doing as much as you can barefoot should help!
By joD_dancer
On Sat Jan 31, 2009 05:09 AM
You can dip surgical spirit on cotton woll and dab onto your feet. This toughens up the skin.
xx
By duct_tape_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 03, 2009 09:20 PM
Like everything in dance, it gets easier by doing it more. Foot undies are, in my very blunt opinion, for pansies. And they look silly. Baby powder will help you to turn, but it will also make the floor very slippery for anyone that uses it after.

Really just go barefoot. Calluses should start to build up fairly quickly. Dance around your house barefoot. Don't exfoliate or moisturize your feet--that'll only slow them from forming. It will hurt at first, you will stick to the floor, you may get blisters on the balls of your feet (and they HURT!), but it will also get easier the more you do it.
By LiveLoveDance5
On Thu Feb 05, 2009 04:54 PM
Edited by LiveLoveDance5 (207110) on 2009-02-05 16:56:09
I agree, try Foot Undeez. They cover only the ball of your foot, and when I turn in mine, I get the feeling of being barefoot because my Foot Undeez make my turns "stick", I think mine fit me oddly...
You could also try Leo's Illusion, Dance Paws, or Bloch Foot Thongs.
By BellaSiciliana
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 02:22 PM
Stay up on the balls of your feet when walking at home as much as possible. In my experience, this is where my feet hurt the most before building up calluses. I also took walks outside barefoot on my cement driveway...your feet will get a little dirty but you'll build up calluses in NO TIME!
By DiscoDolly_x
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 08:20 AM
I always have danced barefoot in modern, I dont think it makes it that much arder tbh. Get some foot thongs or something if your really worried.
xo.
By ClintonK
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 AM
The easiest ways to build callus are:
1) Walk barefoot as much as you can.
2) Try baby powder when you're turning on hardwood.
3) *Soak your feet in pickle juice after a long dance class.

*I know that sounds really weird, but it's an old baseball trick. If it makes you feel better, I do it all the time. Get a little bowl of juice and soak your feet for 30 minutes to an hour. I promise.. it really helps.

Hope you found this helpful!
Don't give up.
By as_linden_leaf
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 05:53 AM
Ok...this may sound strange, and you may never have heard of it before, but it seems to build them fast: find a surface that won't incredibly tear up your feet, but one that is glass-slick will result in large blisters first, so avoid that. Then gallop (yes that thing you learned in elementary school) and skip around on just the balls of your feet.

Voila! I think it has something to do with how the friction shifts while moving this way.
By kaylahpearlPremium member
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:30 PM
putting baby powder on your feel helps you turn beeter and keeps you from tearing or rippig the skin on your feet. Also I am a big fan of the dance shoes foot undies. They are super cinfy and you can carely see them. You can feet your feet "pretty" while being able to turn better with them on. I teach in foot undies 90% of the time. Even or ballet and hip hop!
By veggiedancerxo
On Sun Mar 22, 2009 01:41 PM
the trick is really just to dance barefoot all the time. To form calluses, one of my teachers said to rub rubbing alcohol on your feet every evening. it helps toughen them up. Of course, if you're going to dance barefoot, get used to floor burns, calluses, and sometimes blisters. Overall, i prefer it to socks or shoes.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 07:42 PM
kaylahpearl wrote:

putting baby powder on your feel helps you turn beeter and keeps you from tearing or rippig the skin on your feet.

Baby powder makes everything more slippery!! =]
By andhearts
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 08:54 PM
sorry but there's no easy way to do it! your feet won't ease into forming calluses. the skin has to be damaged by tearing and floor burn in order for the harder skin to begin to take place. in about a month you should start to notice tougher feet. when your skin rips and your toes split, i recommend using athletic tape that can be bought at any sports store to protect the raw skin underneath.
By ItzChrissyyyx3
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 01:16 PM
msdancerina14 wrote:

Yea i'm thinking that foot undeez will be your best bet. Ya you can try to walk around barefoot and build those up but you don't know for sure that it is going to work. So i would go with the nude undeez you can't even really see them on your feet.

ReplySendWatch