Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Applause and Emily Shock = dance love (karma: 1)
By dancingrl247
On Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 AM

So I found these videos by faysweeper on youtube over break, and I CAN'T stop watching them. They are absolutely amazing and so inspiring! They are videos from Emily Shock's class at Applause in Oklahoma (some of you might know Alicia Clifton or Maci Cameron from Hall of Fame). So basically watch these, but just watch all her videos. Just do it. They changed how I looked at dance.

Improv
www.youtube.com . . .

The Balcony
www.youtube.com . . .

Class combo
www.youtube.com . . .

And these two aren't actually Applause, it's Westmoore High School's pom squad. But equally amazing.

The routine they won UDA Nationals with
www.youtube.com . . .

This videos pretty cool. The first part is just them doing turns across the floor, but it's amazing to watch. And the combo at the end is my favorite.
www.youtube.com . . .

Oh PS I was going to post these under jazz videos, but I thought they'd be much better on this board :)

6 Replies to Applause and Emily Shock = dance love

re: Applause and Emily Shock = dance love
By dance4ballet
On Wed Jan 14, 2009 04:50 AM
I discovered these awhile ago and FELL IN LOVE. Emily Shock and Applause Studios dont get enough credit on DDN! Seriously. Its just beautiful. Love.

People always say how "southern strutt" or "touch of class" are such good studios, and forget about applause. this is an amazing dance school. the dancers are just SO expressive. and Emily Shock is a genius.

I love watching Taylor Vanmeter. Beautiful.
By dancingrl247
On Wed Jan 14, 2009 01:37 PM
I agree with you, I feel like all the studios that get a lot of attention on DDN are good technical dancers, but most just have a lot of tricks (Deborah's Stage Door). This studio really DANCES.

And Taylor is so good! I can't believe she's so young!
By dance4ballet
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:42 PM
The way Emily Shock choreographs is just wonderful. She always uses the song so well, and doesn't throw a bunch of tricks in there just for fun. Every movement choreographed has a deep meaning, each dance tells a story.

This is why i love those videos so much. I love "Breathing Room", "The Water Is Wide" and "Little Games". I can be reduced to tears by these dances.

She is an inspiration to us all, as well as another choreographer/teacher at that studio (Kelsey Self I think her name is.)

And Taylor is SO good i agree with you! And so young! When you hear her talking about dance on the videos, she is so very modest as well. "I just dance..."
By zebraobsession
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:58 AM
I loved the improv one! I'm terrible at improv, I always get so self concious....
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 PM
Wow! I looked at these links then I looked at more of her choreography. What's this woman doing in Oklahoma? She should have a company in New York like Twyla Tharp or be in LA, choreographing for the media, like Paula Abdul did. Lucky, lucky Oklahoma teens!

I see this post was moved from the Modern to the Jazz forum. Since she is truly unique I'd call her "Contemporary" and would have left her under "Modern"; however more people will probably see the post this way.
By dancingrl247
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 07:06 PM
^^ this was the original board I posted it on, so it was actually never on the Modern board (unless someone cross posted it without my knowledge?)

ReplySendWatch