Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Split Leap Problems
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 08:57 PM

When I do a grand jete or split leap, my front leg will be perfectly straight, but my back leg will be bent a little bit. My teacher always tells me to straighten it, but when I do, like I lock my knees in my chasse(s) and end up not getting very much power on my jump at all.

What can I do to get my back leg straighter?

6 Replies to Split Leap Problems

re: Split Leap Problems
By rehxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:11 AM
First try standing at the barre, and swinging your leg back like you would be if you were actually doing a leap, making sure you keep your knee straight.

Also, make sure your knees are always straight in your splits. The way you do your splits is the way it will look in the leap.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 PM
^ So true.
On top of that, make sure your back leg is very well turned out. The closer to parallel it is, the more likely the knee joint will buckle with the momentum of your leap. If it's turned out, you'll have more control over the straightness.
By jockeygirl
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 03:12 PM
You haven't said whether you are very flexible or average flexibility. if you have hyperflex legs ( knees bend backwards) then you will need to stretch your toe but be really thinking of your knee not the whole leg, if all your energy is going into stretching your foot it could cause you to bend your knee. Alternatively if you are not flexible then you could try visualization, imagine you are leaping over a fence and that the only part that is going to touch the fence is your knee, so imagine lifting that knee up to skim over it, turnout will help as will practicing your splits. try putting your back leg up on the bar in arabesque and bend the other leg that way you will have a chance of trying to feel what you leg with feel like with a "straight" knee.
good luck!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 07:19 PM
Make sure your leg is turned out completely!

Totally agree with Rehx. :D
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 05:59 PM
Thanks guys, just a quick question,

My teacher said make sure I can see my full knee in the mirror, is that what turning it all the way out means? :)
By oldancer
On Sun Feb 08, 2009 04:24 AM
Yes in a Grande Jete.. Back leg.

ReplySendWatch