Forum: General / Ballroom / Waltz

Waltz
Unsure..
By svadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 278, member since Mon Sep 08, 2008
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 01:04 AM

So I recently started thinking about taking up some ballroom classes, I have like 10 different styles that I would really like to try out. I mainly want to take ballroom classes because they seem like a lot of fun and I'm thinking it would make me a more well rounded dancer. But I am really unsure about it because I'm already taking 6 hours a week at my usual studio and then I would just be adding on to the stress of the dance I do now and balancing homework. I really am interested though, and i'm still really considering taking classes but it makes me a little nervous.

2 Replies to Unsure..

re: Unsure..
By GrishkoMerrell Comments: 292, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 07:52 PM
I vote, go for those classes!

Keep in mind that this is from the perspective of someone who is a social ballroom dancer and who makes a living in the ballet world. In my life, ballet is my love but it's also my work... I love it, but it's high intensity and involves a lot of focus, discipline, etc. For me, ballroom is just a pleasure. The basics came easily to me since I have so many years of dance training, and it's delicious and a way to dance and relax (instead of dance and constantly be critiquing myself). If you're going to be a competitive ballroom dancer, then it'll be high stress and serious training. But if you're interested in social ballroom (or even some of the less intense competitions) then it is so much fun!

I think it all depends on what you want to get out of it. Go for it and see what you like! If you think it's overburdening your schedule, you can always pull back. Good luck!
re: Unsure..
By Live4Dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 729, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Feb 11, 2009 03:15 PM
I agree with ^, try it!
I am from the ballet world and I still take ballet classes but I love the ballroom world.
I used to compete a lot, now I am more social but both are great. I love how free it is and how I get to express an other side of me (I love technique tho).

ReplySendWatch