Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Constructive criticism?
By rehxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:24 PM

I'm hoping to get some comments on my solo.. This was recorded after 5 1/2 hours of my company rehearsal, so I was really tired. I'm not sure if I like it.. I know I need to add more to it. Thanks in advance!

www.youtube.com . . .

10 Replies to Constructive criticism?

re: Constructive criticism?
By rr_lover
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:21 AM
Edited by rr_lover (191435) on 2009-01-19 09:24:31
Edited by rr_lover (191435) on 2009-01-19 09:24:58
You can deffinetly be stronger in your arms, and also to help your flexibility more, i reccomend doing just some simple stretches, also the stretching board has some awesome tips on to improve your flexibility, even if your at school you can do some foot stretches (i have before te hehehehehe ;) ). Also so your not falling out of our side split in part 1:01, make sure you get your footing when you come off the floor, you'll be able to get your balance better. But overall not to bad, just really work on your flexi, and your arms :). Hope i helped!!!!.
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I'm actually really flexible, it just doesn't show much because I was having troubles just standing at this point (as I said it was taped after a hard rehearsal.)
By hope23
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 02:44 PM
Wow, after a really long rehearsal, and you can tell that you were working pretty hard, that was really cool. I liked it a lot.
By jockeygirl
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 03:03 PM
I would love to work with you as there is alot of potential there - although I am not fond of the choice of music you could work it and get the best out of it.
You need to work on the transitions - these are the bits between the movements. I can see you are tired but ie you do a leap then you move or travel and the do the next choreographed move. deconstuct the dance and work on a few bars at a time and concentrate on that.
the next step work on the connection between arms and legs. some of steps you are doing could benfit from working with the whole body ie circular movement of the arm could really extend with the foot diagonally on the othere side so that the dance is actually going "through" you. not just an arm and then a leg moving.
last but not least (again I can see you are tired) you need to work on your feet to create light and depth. watch your video and you will see that you are all on one level, almost moving flatly on you feet. if you are going to stand on the ball of your foot stretch up and lift you torso to do it, if are going to jete then create the lightness in you feet to fly through the air.and if you are going to stand prone then you need to central and not wiggle your feet around figgeting. Stretch your toes fully when they are being stretched.
Usually i will be approached by girls that want private lessons to the gain 1st or 2nd in competitions here. I hope you like the constuctive critcism and don't get upset because, as I said you have a lot of potential. I would love to work with you.
Could you please post your dance again when you are ready and not tired?! I would like to see how you go....
cheers
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 03:31 PM
jockygirl- THANK YOU SO MUCH! First of all for taking the time to get all that out to me. And I'm really honored that you see potential.
It wasn't my first choice in music either, there was a different song I wanted to use, but my teachers didn't like that one.
I think transitions have always been my downfall, I've been trying to work on that, but I will really piece it apart and work on everything you've suggested.
And I will definitely post again once I've made changes.. again, thank you so much!
By FollowurDreams
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 08:26 PM
Very Beautiful Piece!! Especially after a long rehearsal! The transitions are just one of the main things I noticed. You just want to work on "flowing" into each new movement. The way I think about lyrical, is to picture yourself as the music. You are dancing so therefore the music is playing and telling your story. You want the audience to feel that if you were to stop dancing, then the music would quit playing. (Which I understand can also be hard if it was not your first choice of music.) Make sure you are using your plie and keeping your center up! This will help you get up higher in your jumps. And lastly would just be the connection between arms and legs as Jockeygirl said. Allow the movements to spread through your body and back out.

Other than that, this is an amazing piece and you did a wonderful job! Will you be going to competitions with this? If so I would love to see it performed!
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:18 PM
Thank you very much FollowurDreams! I'm going to be working hard on the transitions, and everything both you and jockeygirl have suggested. My first competition is the first weekend in March, so I have a little time. I'll make sure to post a video once the dance gets more fluid. Thanks again!
By FollowurDreams
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 PM
You are very welcome!! I wish you the best of luck at your first Competition!! I know you will do awesome!!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 21, 2009 02:26 PM
Overall, good job! Make sure you point your toes, (especially on your fouttes) and make sure your passe is high when you are doing pirouttes. And I also agree with JockeyGirl. There are some awkward transitions; parts where you are kind of just standing there.

Holy cow! After such a long rehearsal, you did great. :D
On Wed Jan 21, 2009 02:51 PM
Thank you! I've come up with a few changes in choreography (in my head) that should help the transitions and work better than what I have now. I can't wait until Saturday to try it out!

ReplySendWatch