Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

My jazz dance makes me nervous...
By iAubrey
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:31 PM

Ok so this years recital is coming up and I can't wait for it! I'm a little nervous about one of my dances this year though. Were dancing to Low by Flo Rider and some of the moves are a little "suggestive". This is only my second year of jazz and the class I'm taking is advanced for my age (15) and I'm the youngest in the class with three seniors one junior and one sophomore. This is our costume:

www.kellecompany.com . . .

I'm not all that confidant with my body so this costume was not my first choice. Were also dancing with some guys who wrestle at a local school. We do lifts and I don't want the guys to talk about how they got stuck with the fat girl seeing how I'm the biggest in the class. I'm not overweight but I'm not super skinny. I don't have the flat stomach so I'm really trying to work on that before recital. I'm just nervous of what the guys will say and my friends and family. Have any advice of getting a flat stomach and to stay calm about this? Thanks

-Aubrey

19 Replies to My jazz dance makes me nervous...

re: My jazz dance makes me nervous... (karma: 1)
By FollowurDreams
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 06:54 PM
Hello! My guess is the reason you started doing Jazz is because dancing is something that you love! The best thing about dancing (in my opinion) is that weight has nothing to do with it. Dancing is a wonderful way to express yourself without words and there are no rules about who can or who can't. A healthy weight (And this does not mean skinny! This means what is right for your body!) is one where you have enough muscle to complete a long dance, to jump high, to hold your positions. You also need flexibility. And if you notice... anyone can achieve that... at any weight.

I am the biggest girl (and the oldest by about 5 years lol) in my company and sometimes it makes me feel self concious. But once I hit the stage and the lights are on... I forget all about that and all I want to do is have fun and get the crowd into our routine!

Don't ever let anyone make you feel inferior. Chances are... if these boys are wrestlers... they are not going to say anything. I would like to think there coach would have them bench pressing and stuff like that. So they probably won't even notice. Wrestling is also another sport that focuses a lot on "weight class", so some of them might have felt nervous about their weight sometimes too!

If you are still feeling anxious about it and want to work out a little to help calm your nerves, just do it because you want to feel better for yourself. Not because you feel the need to impress anyone.

Try to drink more water (unless you are already a religious water drinker) and cut back on unhealthy carbs for snacks. Focus on fresh fruits and vegetables. This site might help you with what foods will give you energy but keep you healthy at the same time: dance.about.com . . .

I hope this helps a little, but no matter what... I'm sure you will do awesome!

~Follow Your Dreams!
re: My jazz dance makes me nervous...
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 08:33 PM
Because of your age and level, you can use a song like that and some suggestive moves. One of the dances at my studio is kinda suggestive, ment for 10th-12th graders, but there was an 8th grader in there, who felt the same as you.

It sounds like you're at the perfect, healthy weight. You don't want to be too skinny so I wouldn't do anything to lose weight, just drink lots of water. And besides, guys sometimes make fun of super skinny girls too!

Like the above poster said, once your on stage with the lights on you and everyone's watching, you'll feel more confident.

Also, don't listen to what other people say about you. Be confident and be proud of yourself for being such a great dancer, and know you're beautiful. Boys are stupid and think sometimes it's funny to make fun of people, no matter how old you are. Let it roll of your shoulder if they say anything to you or about you.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 AM
What do you want to bet your partner says he lucked into the strongest dancer who could help launch into a lift and who he didn't have to worry about inadvertently injuring.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 02:36 PM
^So true. There's a slightly thicker (read: NOT fat) girl at my studio, but whenever we do partnering she's one of the easiest to lift or really do anything with. She can really explode off the floor.
By iAubrey
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 06:15 PM
Hey! Thanks for everything you guys said, I think it really helped a lot. You guys are right, when your on stage and the lights are on you it doesn't really mater as long as your having fun. So now just another question...what do you guys think of our costume? lol

-Aubrey: I Dance Therefore I Am
By tappergurl
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 06:34 PM
Edited by tappergurl (121211) on 2009-01-26 18:35:38 typo
Talk to your teacher about your concerns. I teach several beginner jazz classes (as well as having been a late starter myself) and I know if it makes you feel uncomfortable then it really takes the fun out of dancing. (I'm not trying to bum you out again you sounded like you were on the right track with your last post). Has your teacher done a lot of beginner classes before? Sometimes a teacher who is used to doing choreography for students that have been onstage for years doesn't realize that beginning students may be able to do the same moves, yet aren't as comfortable yet displaying them. Keep your chin up, you sound like a very smart mature girl and remember that you need to do what's best for you.
By FollowurDreams
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 08:05 PM
I also agree with Tappergirl! Don't be afraid to show your concerns to your teacher as well... It also helps when you feel comfortable on stage! I think the costume is really cute! I just got comfortable wearing hot pants when I'm dancing... because I realized "So I'm alittle thicker than all the other girls, but that also makes me stronger!" LOL I think you are going to do a great job!
By gregb1
On Tue Jan 27, 2009 03:32 PM
I think you will look beautiful in any of those costumes. Girls look awesome and gorgeous in their outfits. Its all about you and its time to shine. You've worked hard and stuck it out. Any of those guys will be thrilled and happy to dance with you. Trust me! You are going to have a great time. Hope you all have fun. My jazz is getting better and better and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
By svadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 02, 2009 04:23 PM
Oh I know what you mean, I happen to be one of the oldest in my class though (i'm 16) So our dances cant be too suggestive but I do get what you mean about how you'll look in your costume, The main thing I'm worried about though it how the costume will fit me because I have a larger chest than all the other girls so that just makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but I do really like your costume..mine is from the same place!www.kellecompany.com . . . (ours is the red one, but it isn't for jazz) Two of my costumes, I just know are going to make me feel a little self-conscious, the other two will be okay, I hope.
Good luck with your recital, and don't let the things people may say about you get you down, its not worth it to worry about something like that, just worry about yourself and relax a little, you'll be awesome. =]
By iAubrey
On Mon Feb 02, 2009 08:18 PM
We were thinking about using that costume for a tango dance we might do with some other guys were dragging to dance! I really like it!
By oldancer
On Mon Feb 09, 2009 07:40 AM
If you have a problem, take the time to have a chat with your teacher. If she is busy give her a ring or pass her a note to read.
But you must also belive in your self and your teacher.
Some move might be suggestive, but its how you present them and in what context they are delivered.

good luck and enjoy your routine, and get on stage and shine...
By iAubrey
On Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 AM
I would just like to say that I had dance on Wednesday and the guys came but when told i had to do a lift I actually did it! I did a shoulder sit and the wrestlers was able to successfully lift me. I'm happy!
By dancingmonkeyabc
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 07:26 AM
I can understand being a uncomfortable but as you get up into higher dance classes "suggestive" moves are going to become more and more common. Also it's okay to be uncomfortable about your body, almost everyone is! The trick is to not think about it, and tell yourself that though I'm not the skinniest I've got the moves and the personality to make up for it. It's worked for me.
By dncrgirl825member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:16 AM
Don't talk about yourself like that. You may be the biggest one in the class- but that doesn't make you fat. And you don't want to be super skinny either- you want to be your good weight. I am sure you are an amazing dancer. I have some moves in my dance i'm not comfortable with and also our costume. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun. You are there to have fun not worry about yourself or the other people. As my teacher says to the best You can and don't worry about what the other people are doing.

I hope this helps.
Love
By razzlebaby
On Mon May 25, 2009 07:39 PM
Don't worry. The costume is pretty modest -- you'll be fine.
Just rock it and be confident... because if you don't act confident, you won't look confident.
By lyricalrose
On Fri Jun 05, 2009 04:35 PM
Okay, I know just how you feel. I wore a costume very similiar to that for my novelty dance this year. But what you need to do, is you need to go out there and just own it. You need to work it and be confident. If you aren't confident or you're too busy worrying about what you look like, it'll show in your dancing and you won't be able to dance to your full potential. The audience will enjoy it more if you're dancing well than if you're stick skinny. So go out there and HAVE FUN!

Good luck with the recital! :)
By dancebugkt
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 02:01 PM
Those costumes are cute! Trust me, the wrestlers won't care how big/small you are! They're BIG guys! And about the flat stomach, hardly anyone has a completely flat stomach. Be happy with the body you have! I'm sure it is beautiful!

Comment #8290824 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-07-16 15:47:41 This has nothing to do with the post.

By LuthienPremium member
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 02:11 PM
If you're really nervous about the costume, see if you can wear a nude leotard under. That'll make you feel more covered and help 'suck things in', plus you'll probably want the chest support of a leotard, the costume tops look kinda skinny.

ReplySendWatch