Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Fish Flops
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:22 PM

So I'm learning fish flops in lyrical, and I can kinda get them, sorta. My teacher helps me over, because when I start to come down I just flop right down, and I really badly hurt my right hip bone. I've seen them done before, the right way, and it's so smooth, and mine is just not at all.

I practice all different kinds of shoulder rolls over both shoulders, but no luck on fish flops.

Can anyone tell me how not to just fall smack onto my stomach, but how to roll through them?

4 Replies to Fish Flops

re: Fish Flops
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:31 PM
Edited by Ladeda (123964) on 2009-01-29 14:33:33
You are probably not engaging your core enough, and arching your back way too far in, into the floor. One way to practice rolling your body smoothly onto the floor so you know how to orient your body is lay down on your stomach, and raise your chest up by pushing up with your arms, and locking them straight. Have someone elevate your legs by grabbing ahold of your ankles and inverting your body, so your legs are higher than your head. With the person still holding your ankles, ease your body down, chest first. Also, make use of your arm strength!
The body needs to roll chest first. Kind of like doing the worm.

Also, i was just thinking...I haven't done a fish flop in a while, but when you roll back over a shoulder, both shoulders don't have to hit first. It's kind of diagonal I guess, if you mean. So if you roll over your left shoulder, your left shoulder will hit the floor before your right.

Ahahaha, I need to go do a couple to give some good pointers.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 02:49 PM
I was just going to make a thread about these (but under jazz) I'll just post my questions here to consolidate.

I have to do it from a kneeling position left knee on the floor...and right foot hitting the floor first. How do you remember which way you head should face? And general advice is good too.

I don't really have space to practice :/
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 03:32 PM
Ladeda wrote:

Also, i was just thinking...I haven't done a fish flop in a while, but when you roll back over a shoulder, both shoulders don't have to hit first. It's kind of diagonal I guess, if you mean. So if you roll over your left shoulder, your left shoulder will hit the floor before your right.

Sorry, I guess I worded my post wrong. When I said roll over both shoulders, I meant like do them over right, and I can do them over left, individually, not over at the same time.
By tappergurl
On Fri Jan 30, 2009 04:52 PM
Edited by tappergurl (121211) on 2009-01-30 16:54:10 more thoughts
If you roll over your right shoulder, then it's your right cheek on the floor. Place your right elbow on the floor, bracing your hip with your right hand (like doing a shoulder stand). Kick your right leg over first, leaving the left extended straight up into the air. Reach the right leg down towards the floor and lower the right side of the body to the floor before the left leg comes down to meet it. Also, brace your left hand on the floor by your left ear as you reach the peak of the roll.

If you want to do this going over your left side, just reverse all the lefts and rights.

I just started teaching this to my 2nd year teens during jazz on Tuesday. They had a ball and couldn't stop laughing at themselves! I think there were more than a few bruised hips and shoulders.

ReplySendWatch