Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Do you consider yourself a good dancer?
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:42 AM

Do you consider yourself a good dancer? I'm not the best dancer out there but I love to dance and I do my best and I work really hard to improve.

15 Replies to Do you consider yourself a good dancer?

re: Do you consider yourself a good dancer?
By danceaholic_xoxo
On Fri Feb 06, 2009 07:51 PM
I know there are many many many girls out there that are better than me, but I love to dance, I'm good, and it's fun, so that's all I could ever want.
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 07, 2009 03:13 PM
I know I've really improved. But there are dancers on Youtube that are even younger than me that are technically amazing dancers. Jealous, maybe. Haha. But I think Im pretty good. :D
By Princess_Polly
On Fri Apr 03, 2009 02:22 PM
I think in this profession as dancers we are always going to make comparison with other dancers and wonder if we are good enough, but it's important to remember that as long as you enjoy it and you are putting everything you have into it then thats all that matters. To me thats what beong a good dancer means. I do have days where I'm like I could have done better, but then I have to remember that I am good (well i tell myself that anyway!)
By FollowurDreams
On Fri Apr 03, 2009 04:59 PM
I agree! As dancers everybody has something that makes them shine! But The love of dancing is something that everyone shares and that is one of the best feelings ever! Anybody who has the courage to get up and express their feelings through dance is considered a great dancer to me!
By DanceTeacherEmma
On Thu Apr 09, 2009 08:24 AM
I'm not too bad, i'm a teacher now so i'm more concerned with my dancers being up to scratch.

I always dance in my classes with the kids to help keep up my flexability, stamina and ability. I dont ever want to be one of those teachers who sits and dictates instead of showing. I still love learning new stuff.

I can still do splits, leg catches, walkovers, leg spins etc, its not as easy as it once was lol but it's not too bad.

Emma x
By cheez_4me
On Sat Apr 11, 2009 09:52 PM
Compared to other people my age, I'm not that great of a dancer, but considering I've only been taking classes for a year and a half, I'm pretty good :D.
By StarSapphiremember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 PM
Edited by StarSapphire (210340) on 2009-04-16 23:47:22
There’s no point in comparing yourself to others. I love individuality!
By isiscloud
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 04:09 PM
Compared to where I was 4 years ago? YES!

My dad came to my recital two years ago (after only two years of dance) and said that I'd missed my calling. I don't have the body of a dancer, but just the fact that he told me that tells mes I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing and that's enough for me! :) My husband is amazed, too!

I'm "better" than many people who have been taking classes for years, but everyone has their own goals.
By cheez_4me
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 05:57 PM
Just a quick question- what do you guys consider as "good"?
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 PM
cheez_4me wrote:

Just a quick question- what do you guys consider as "good"?

That is a question for the ages. A good dancer usually has strong technique and great control over basic steps. However, they also have that "it" quality that nobody can really put their finger on. A good dancer uses their body and face at the same time to best convey the ideas of the piece. Even in the lighthearted and fun pieces you often see in the jazz style, a good dancer makes a special connection with the audience. They have the power to take a movement and add to it that little extra flair that makes them look great doing it.

Seeing as this is in the "beginners" section, many people consider "good" to be more about mastery of skills. However, with time, the dancer's body will become more attuned to the movements of the style. At that point, they need to let muscle memory do the work for the majority their bodies so they can focus on their faces and whatever other extremities they are able to work with within the boundaries of the choreography.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 25, 2009 07:01 PM
I think that I'm pretty good for my age, but I see those 7 year olds on YouTube that can do a thousand pirouettes, and do lots of "tricks". Sometimes I get I get jealous!! Even though I've been dancing for eleven years, I think that over the passed three years, I flourished as a dancer. All in all I think I'm a great dancer. =]
By DigitalDancer
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:02 AM
I think that I always have room to improve, in some areas more than others :P, but I haven't been dancing that long so I try not to look on my negatives
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:15 AM
Well I'd consider myself one of the best at my current studio but that really doesn't amount to anything if you know about my studio (it's about as recreational as it gets). I'm planning on going to this really amazing studio next year and I know I definitely won't be anywhere near as good as the advanced girls there but maybe someday I'll catch up. So in answer to your question: Good in comparison to the other girls I dance with? Definitely. Good in general? Eh, we'll see how it goes next year but for now, not so much. I love what I'm doing though so that's all that really matters (although being good at what you love is always an added bonus ;)).
By T_Dance_Girl
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:22 PM
I personally think i'm a good dancer, but there are gilrs at my studio or ones that i've seen dance and they are way better than me. But i just love to dance and try hard and i've gotten a lot better.
By DizzyLizzie
On Wed Jul 01, 2009 07:57 PM
There is always going to be someone better and there is always going to be someone worse.

I guess I am good but I definately have a lot of work to do.

ReplySendWatch