Poll: General / Ballroom / Swing

Which style of swing do you primarily dance?
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Sun Feb 08, 2009 01:41 AM

I was just wondering what DDN's swing population is comprised of. I'm primarily a lindy hopper, but I just learned Blues and I am absolutely in love!!!!!!
At any rate, let's try to get the swing scene on DDN more active! Let yourself be counted.

15 Replies to Which style of swing do you primarily dance?

re: Which style of swing do you primarily dance?
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 09:10 AM
Who's going to Frankie's 95th?
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 AM
Aah, I wish I could, but I think I'm leaving the country the previous weekend. Are you going?
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 AM
I dance a form of Swing called Modern Jive...if you look it up in youtube there's probably a whole load of videos that explain it waaaay better than I ever could. I've also learned some Lindyhop (although currently lacking a partner) and I also dabble in West Coast Swing.

xXx
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 01:13 PM
Malaika,
From the rush on registration, it sounds like you might be the only Lindy Hopper in the world who won't be there! Hope your plans change but if they don't, we'll miss ya!

Tiggerpants,
Modern Jive looks like a West Coast swing with styling and simpler footwork. Is that a fair description? I can see why it would be popular. It looks good and probably fairly easy to pickup. I'm a Lindy guy myself but swing is a big tent and everyone is welcome to the dance!
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 02:38 PM
Yeah - unfortunately there's not a big swing scene in Nairobi ;)

Tigger, that looks cool. Is it a social dance, or primarily competition-oriented?
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 03:16 PM
It's kind of a mix of a lot of different dance style...I've certainly seen it mixed with Salsa styling, Cha Cha, Tango etc. It's primarily social and marketed towards people who have never ever danced before so we make it really easy so take out plenty of footwork and stuff.

There's a lot of people who choose to compete...there's a huge championship held once a year. Generally when people become more advanced that's when the more complex stuff comes in - aerials, footwork, musicality etc. It's really fun.

I forgot to mention I did a few Blues workshops which just made me go oooooo. And had a lesson with Jordan and Tatiana which was excellently explained =)
By GrishkoMerrell Comments: 292, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 07:42 PM
I just discovered the swing section on DDN! What fun!

I responded in the poll, but I wanted to elaborate a bit... I'm a lindy hopper first and foremost, but we always make time for some blues at the end of our evenings. There's just something about blues on hot summer nights... I'll occasionally dance east coast and west coast as well, depending on where I am and what's available. Lindy is my passion, but anytime there's dancing you can count me in.
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 08:12 PM
Haha - I was watching some youtube videos of Portland blues dancers, and someone said "Back east, Blues is what Lindy Hoppers do after midnight." Which made me laugh, particularly in the context of what you said! It's true, though. We're trying to figure out the best way to inject blues into our dances/practices (my college's swing club), and we'll probably end up putting it later, after the new kids have gone home already.
By livvybbz1999 Comments: 51, member since Sat Mar 07, 2009
On Wed May 27, 2009 03:41 PM
What is swing anyway
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Jun 07, 2009 02:43 AM
Edited by Rainbws_Watrflls (197101) on 2009-06-07 02:44:42
I have the opportunity to attend a Beginning Lindy Hop workshop on June 20th. I inquired and you do *not* need a partner to attend. I wonder if it's small group sessions? My social anxiety is really bad and being around a lot of people is not fun for me. I wonder if I should try to attend?

In regards to the poll, they do a lot of East Coast swing where I attend.
By BoogieKnight Comments: 21, member since Fri Jul 03, 2009
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 07:40 AM
the only swing I really am any good at is Lindy Hop swing because I have the foot work down. I can easily do the lifts and the throws because I have great strength, but just the steps, not so much
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 04:28 AM
Our swing group does not allow aerials of any kind for safety reasons.
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 02:13 PM
I recently started West Coast, and am going to start competing in it this spring! :D
On Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:07 PM
The group I go to was teaching East Coast six-count but we recently changed over to teaching nothing but Lindy Hop. Last night was the first lessons of Lindy Hop. Since I attended the workshop last year, I already know a little bit.

I really do enjoy the Lindy Hop. It's a very fun and exciting dance. I'm getting better (so I am told), although I still have so much more to learn and perfect. I love to learn though. Very very much do I love to learn.

We found out too that our group is going to hire professionals to come in and teach a Lindy Hop Workshop later in the summer, so I am excited about that as well. :D
By Melpomene Comments: 1230, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 PM
I'm actually quite new to the world of actually dancing swing (I just had a 6 week long sessions back in the winter/spring)

But I did Charleston. Really have a new appreciation for it, much harder than it looks - But it was quite fun! I learned a lot. And I favour the 20's-40's era so it was an extra bonus.

Also learned some Lindy Hop basics alongside.

ReplySendWatch