Forum: General / Ballroom / Swing

Swing
Lindy Exchanges
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 09:04 PM

I just registered for the Hawkeye Swing Festival and I'm thrilled and wildly excited! I haven't gotten to go any year previous, and I've never been to an exchange or workshop type thing. I'm also thinking of heading down south for Bluesalicious in Memphis. What has your experience been with Lindy/Blues/Swing exchanges? I've heard that they are extremely important in terms of your development as a dancer - did you see a difference in your dancing?

3 Replies to Lindy Exchanges

re: Lindy Exchanges
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 04:54 PM
I've heard the term Lindy Exchange but I'm still not entirely sure what it is? I'm pretty sure we run Lindy exchanges in the UK but as I only dabble in Lindy I could be wrong. We do have 'weekenders' where basically there is 24 hour dancing and workshops run during the day (some of the workshops are aimed at honing the technical side of the dance whilst others are headlined by international and famous teachers).

Personally I love weekenders. The first couple I went to blew my mind a bit and as I tend to be a bit shy the information went over my head. But dancing with so many different dancers from all over the country certainly opened my eyes and brought my dancing on leaps and bounds. The past few times I've tried hard to take away tips from the lessons, again, with much improvement to my dancing. It's also given me a chance to learn some other styles of dance ie. West Coast, Tango and a little bit of Waltz.

I hope you have loads of fun =)

xXx
By Pam0284 Comments: 2, member since Mon Mar 16, 2009
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 09:37 AM
Hi there~ I have been swing dancing socially for about 4 years now and have been to approx. 8 swing exchanges, both blues and lindy. Exchanges are FANTASTIC if you like to socialize and party. It's usually 3 days of dancing until you drop, day and night. They may offer workshops, they may just social dance (I went to Bluesalicious last year and it was strictly social dancing. You do get better simply by social dancing a LOT (you don't have to spend thousands like people in the ballroom do unless you want to go professional). Exchanges are used primarily for meeting new people, practicing, and seeing new places. If you social dance enough it can get boring dancing with the same people in your scene every week. Unlike West Coast swing exchanges, lindy hop exchanges often consist of a younger and less affluent crowd, so housing is often offered...similar to if you've ever heard of couch surfing. So if you don't have a lot of money and you want to dance in a new city, you can crash on someone's floor or guest room for the night..for free. It's a great way to meet new people quickly. Your technique will not really improve too much social dancing ONLY...you do need a few privates for that. Try to find a competent swing dance teacher (there are not many) or do some ballroom lessons, because many concepts learned can be transferred across dances. Have fun!!
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Wed Mar 18, 2009 03:57 PM
^ I'm officially headed to Bluesalicious this weekend and CAN'T WAIT! I'm a little nervous about the caliber of everyone's blues as compared to my own, but I have high hopes.

ReplySendWatch