Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Question about Spelling
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 02:01 AM
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-02-16 22:59:50 Stickified.

I've seen on DDN God spelt as G-d.
Is suppose there is a meaning behind this. Anyone?
xx

6 Replies to Question about Spelling

re: Question about Spelling (karma: 2)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 02:22 AM
I'm sure many people will want to share with you their own histories behind it. I've always found it fascinating, as well.

A quick wikipedia quote to get you started:
"The words "God" and "Lord" (used for the Hebrew Adonai) are often written by many Jews as "G-d" and "L-rd" as a way of avoiding writing a name of God, so as to avoid the risk of sinning by erasing or defacing His name."

Here are some links for some personal research:

www.jewfaq.org . . .

www.chabad.org . . .

www.chabad.org . . .

www.beingjewish.com . . .

I think it's terribly interesting. Not good nor bad...but an interesting religious facet. (I am not any religion, but find religions fascinating in a good, inquisitive way.) Hope these help you out.
re: Question about Spelling
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:08 PM
I think that's intresting, too. In confirmation class, I was told that nearly everytime you see the word "Lord" in the bible, the original word there was Adonai or Yahweh (two different attempts to spell the hebrew name of god into our alphabet) But people didn't want the name of God in the bible, because, like AlwaysOnStage said, they were afraid using his name was disrespectful. I hadn't reilized that the G-d thing was for the same reason.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 09:27 PM
^ In addition, "Yahweh" isn't said out loud as it's considered too sacred to be spoken--when you come across it if you're reading aloud from the Bible, you substitute "Adonai." Could also be why my Jewish friend often refers to "The Name" instead.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 09:43 PM
Interesting fact:
Jehovah is a mistranslation based on the consonants of Yahweh and the vowels of Adonai. The original text had just the consonants for Yahweh, and at a leter date, vowel marks were added for easier reading. When they came to Yahweh, they would read Adonai aloud, and so that's the vowels they wrote overtop. When early bible translators were translating into english, they didn't realise this, and combined the consonants of Yahweh with the vowels of Adonai to get Jehovah.
By houndrfriendPremium member Comments: 636, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:19 PM
I thought the Jewish word for God was Jehova.Anyway,now that we all know what G.D is maybe we will not be able to write that either.What exactly does ARMEN or should I write AMEN mean?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:47 AM
Amen, from what I believe is basically agreeing with and confirming what you have just said. Stamping your mark on it sort of thing. Not sure of the historical bit behind it!

ReplySendWatch