Poll: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

How old will you be when you will hopefully get into a company??
By TwilightDancer95member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 387, member since Thu Nov 06, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 07:48 AM

I wanted to know how old most you will be when you will hopefully be getting into a company!!!!!!!!!!! I will be turning 16 the summer that I am hoping I will be getting into a company... Im graduating high school when im 15 so yeah... How about you??????????????????

15 Replies to How old will you be when you will hopefully get into a company??

re: How old will you be when you will hopefully get into a company??
By dreamofdancing Comments: 540, member since Fri Feb 22, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 AM
what companies are you looking into?
By dancer123321 Comments: 605, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 PM
Well, seeing that I go to a good pre-pro school in high school, I hope to audition for companies my senior year when I'm 17-18, and if I don't make it then I'll try again after either going to a dance college or doing a post-grad program. I'm too young to be thinking about that, though. :P

Wow, 16 is young! What companies are you interested in?
By TwilightDancer95member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 387, member since Thu Nov 06, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:49 PM
Cool!
Well... I know this sounds silly... but im hoping I will be able to get into ABT II, and then get into the company soon after that. Im trying to look at some other companies though, but im not sure about any others yet.
By enigmaticpheomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1809, member since Thu Oct 12, 2006
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:00 PM
I got into my first when I was 18. I graduated high school when I was 16 (not a performing arts school, just plain public school!) and I'm VERY glad I waited. 85% of the dancers I saw getting in were college graduates; nowadays they want dancers more mature. It's much much more difficult to find an emotionally, artistically mature dancer at the age of 16 than at, say, 20. Even now, I'm going back to mature my dancing even more, rather than rushing into another company. :)
By UpForPointe Comments: 34, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 01:35 AM
im 16 now (will be 17 by the beginning of next season though) and just graduated highschool. i have already auditioned for a few companies and am going to a couple more auditions. hopefully i will get into one for next season
By LittleButFierce Comments: 882, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 07:39 AM
People from my school always finish HS and so you are usually 17 or 18 by then (we dont have 15yr old seniors at my school, it is too hard) but what enigmaticpheo said is what I have heard and I think what my school recommends. Usually people graduate and then go to post secondary training. We have PSP at my school which is a program for after HS graduation. Or they might go to a second company for a year or two then a full company position. So you are more like 19 or 20 when you audition for actual companies (I mean not second companies). I will do that too because I think it is good to get more training especially if that is what most others are doing. It will look better when you audition to say you have trained and performed more years after HS I think.

It might be hard to get hired to a second company or company at age 15 or 16 but good luck and let us know how it goes.
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 06:58 PM
Seeing as I turn 18 in a week, I'll definitely be older than 18 by the time I'm company ready. But hopefully I'll be 20 or 21-ish, which is still quite young.

I think 15, even 16, is really young to be in a company though. I'm not saying its impossible, but it would take a heck of a lot of maturity. It probably depends on the person though.
By duct_tape_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2559, member since Wed Jul 31, 2002
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 08:35 AM
I had planned on auditioning during my senior year of high school, so I was 17/18 years old. Injuries prevented that from happening and I ended up going to college. I'm still working to recover some of the technique that I've lost, so I'm suspecting it'll be at least another year before I'm even thinking of auditioning again; if not waiting until graduation--so I'll be probably 22 or 23 years old. I've done some work with professional companies but haven't ever been on a contract--we'll see.

In a way, I almost glad though that I didn't audition in high school. I've gained SO much artistry in the past few years that I just didn't have then--and I don't think I could have had it then either. We'll see where I end up.
By tothepointe3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 240, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:54 PM
I'm 16 now, a junior in high school. I'm hoping to enter a post grad program after high school (like PBT's or Nutmeg) and then hopefully audition for a contract or apprenticeship when I'm around 20ish.
By appleboxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 326, member since Wed Mar 21, 2007
On Thu Dec 03, 2009 01:27 PM
I really don't know :( In a perfect world I would get accepted to a summer program, go there for the year my senior year, and then join that company/do auditions. But I'm still not sure I'm talented/strong enough . . . we'll see.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jan 07, 2010 07:55 AM
A teacher of mine got into ABT when she was 16. That was in the 80's though, so I'm sure it is different now.
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 08:27 PM
I plan on doing the rest of grade school, then hopefully getting accepted into School of Alberta Ballet's Pre-Professional program (which is a post-graduate program) and potentially getting accepted into Alberta Ballet or another (hopefully Canadian- I love my health benefits!) company.
But I'm still very young, and have plenty of time to decide on things :)
On Sat Mar 12, 2011 08:29 PM
Well, I just signed my contract as an apprentice with San Francisco Ballet. I will still be 15 for 15 days after I start! :)
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Fri Apr 01, 2011 05:07 AM
^Wow that's amazing Twilight! I was really wondering what company your contract was going to be with :)
By BlackLaceTutu Comments: 28, member since Fri Sep 15, 2006
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 07:37 PM
Well I'm finishing up college right now (dance major). I've already been a company apprentice last year though at the same time as school so I'm hoping the pre-graduation experience on my resume will help. I've also been offered a full company position this year, but I'm waiting for some things to fall into place before I find out if that will work in combination with what I need to accomplish my senior year. I'll be going to company auditions all over this year so I have to juggle that with my school work as well.

ReplySendWatch