Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Gift I made for my boy! (karma: 1)
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:29 PM

I just wanted to share this gift that I made for Jon. Our 1-year anniversary is coming up next week, so I wanted to make something special for him.

His favorite band is Dave Matthews. So I found lyrics to ALL of their songs, and picked out my favorite lines. Then I arranged the lines into mini poems. I arranged them by what they talked about...like getting through hard times, spending time with each other, how much I love him, etc. I kept track of what song they were from by changing the color of the text in Word.

I picked up a frame at Walmart in the craft section for $5. It had a thick white border. I also picked up some ultra-fine Sharpies.

I then wrote the lyrics all around the border. I ended up filling the entire thing!! All of the lyrics from the same song are of the same color, and then I wrote the song titles on the back. I used both ultra-fine and fine Sharpies to write the lyrics on. There were a few empty spaces at the end, so I drew some hearts to fill in the blanks.

It was a pretty cheap present, and I know it will mean a lot to him because it's very personal.

I showed it to my best friend, and she loved it! I'm thinking I'll make one for her as well, but with High School Musical lyrics because we are both huge HSM fans. :P

So I just wanted to share this with you for anyone looking for a cheap and easy gift to make!

P.S. Sorry about the terrible quality of the picture. I took it in the middle of the night on my cameraphone. :)

8 Replies to Gift I made for my boy!

re: Gift I made for my boy!
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:42 PM
That is very cute! I'm sure he'll love it.
I'm always looking for good ideas to get/give my boyfriend and as his birthday is coming up in March, a variation on this would be perfect, so thanks for the idea :D
By longlivedancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 01:18 PM
Oh my god what a brilliant idea!
Thats so nice, must have taken agessss to put it all together.
I discovered sharpies the other day. I was amazed. I love them!
Have a good 1 year anniversary :)

LLD
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 02:22 PM
^You didn't know about Sharpies before? Man, my life would so much darker without Sharpies. ;)

It really didn't take too long...the longest part was copying the lyrics into Word and selecting the ones I wanted. Actually putting together the gift was no big deal. It was super fast.
By dancer_emjmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:53 AM
That's awesome! And completely adorable. And a really good gift. Such a good idea.

I did something similiar to that for my best friend's birthday, only it said "Live, Laugh, Love" and I got a ribbon printed with "2009" on it and cut it in a bow and put it on. It's for a graduation picture. I should have posted a picture!

Great job, and I know he'll love it!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 07:19 PM
Love it, love it, love it! I so totally like the idea I may do it for friends of mine who like Rick Springfield. It was hard to see all the words but it looks like you have nice handwriting. I know someone whose handwriting is horrible so this would not be a good idea for them to do. I wonder how the postman reads their handwriting on the envelope before I get it.

I to love Sharpies but have never tried the ultra fine ones. I will have to give them a try. I love when people come up with good ideas like this. Can we possibly see the other side of this since you mentioned it? Just curious as I would do that too.
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 09:21 PM
Okay, better pictures! I included a picture of the back too, as requested. It's really nothing special. Just a list of them in the color that the words were written in. :)
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 09:35 PM
Yes, much better picture and your handwriting is very nice. I do like what you did. Some people are just so clever!
By Jessi_gurlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 23, 2009 05:50 AM
WOW that is awesome and really original!!! I think your boy is going to love it!!
I love the way its set out and the lyrics idea is really good and personal!

Jessii x x

ReplySendWatch