Popular Ballet

recent Gene Schiavone interview by lift
http://wtnh.com/2014/07/30/gene-schiavone-photographer-to-ballet-stars/ I thought I'd share my...

Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
How to build a PVC barre? en>fr fr>en
By iDance4Jesus129member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 237, member since Fri Mar 31, 2006
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 09:29 AM

So I'm trying to find a picture an/or directions on how to build a dance barre from PVC pipe. I'll be putting it in my garage, as my room has no space. Anyway! I know some of you have barres like this, and I was wondering if you could possibly post a photo of it, and any tips on building one you have?

I'd buy a real barre, but unfortunately, it's a tad out of my budget. :)

5 Replies to How to build a PVC barre?

re: How to build a PVC barre? en>fr fr>en
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6249, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 AM
There is a video right here on You Tube

www.youtube.com . . .

The stuff they are using appears to be common 2" PVC pipe, probably painted with a gloss plastic paint (cosmetic only)
and ordinary 2" Tee and 45 degree angle fittings. I would think that adding a 2nd barre would add to the stability. Some of the parts if you truely want it portable could be glued such as the end caps on the four feet. Glueing the whole thing would make it far more sturdy.

These parts are available at any Home Depot or Lowes or other building/plumbing supply.

For the glueing you need to compounds, sold in small cans. One is a cleaner/prep and then you rapidly have to follow it with the actual glue. There are quite a few videos on glueing PVC pipe. PVC pipe comes in a couple of wall thicknesses for a given outside dimension and I would think you would want to use the heavier type.

These parts are not very expensive. The Tees are about $3.00 and the angles even cheaper.

Good luck.

Jon
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3641, member since Mon Jul 07, 2003
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 05:45 PM
Black ABS pipe is readily avaiable also. I have a piece right now and common 1.5 abs measures 1.9 inches in outside diameter. There are two types though. Schedule 40 is thinner and cheaper, and schedule 80, beefier and more expensive. If it were me, I would go to the store and check to see if they would be rigid enough for you. The white pvc pipe is good, but I would definitely go with schedule 80 because white is not as rigid as abs.
As Jon said, they have glue, but it is so stinky it will make you cry. It's not for use in enclosed areas either. If you dont assemble that thing outside, you will get soooo high, so be sure to get your boyfriend to do it for you.
I dont think I would buy the prep/cleaner. If it were actually holding water under pressure then you will need it, but for holding a spritely little tinkerbell, I think just the glue will be fine.
Be sure to sketch it all out first. It's always good to buy extra tees and elbows, then return the extra when you are done. If you forget one, you need to put the entire project on hold so you can run back and buy another needed item.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6249, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 09:25 PM
The only problem with the glue aside from smell (I haven't used this in years, but I don't remember the smell) is that if she wants it portable she probably doesn't want to glue everything together, though that would make it more rigid. If she truly wants to collapse it for transportation, It would probably be best to glue just a few things, such as the end caps on the legs (they are needed to get a flat fooprint on the floor because of the TEE connector in the middle. You might want to glue the upright fittings, e.g. the TEE at the bottom of each upright and the 90 degree connections on the top of each upright. That would leave only the horizontal sections to join together and the four leg pieces (refering to the one on You Tube.)

I'm not familiar with black ABS vs. white or gray PVC, but there should be enough of each at the Home Depot-ish stores for her to evaluate. Just be sure you check out the fittings for each to make sure they are secure enough.

Jon
re: How to build a PVC barre? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3126, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:13 AM
dangslow wrote:

...so be sure to get your boyfriend to do it for you.

And just why does she need to have her boyfriend do it for her? Really now, we girls can handle a little stinky. We put up with boys, don't we? ;)

/sarcasm
By dncdiringa Comments: 45, member since Mon Mar 05, 2007
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 06:43 PM
Thanks for this great advice. Even though I wasn't the original poster it will sure help me out quite a bit!

ReplySendWatch