Forum: Arts / Religion

The Holy Spirit
By maple333
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 07:59 PM

So...exactly what is the Holy Spirt/Holy Ghost? Where is this explained in the Bible?
I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if the Holy Spirit is the "mover" of things, life...the magic in God's Creation? The spirit of God?
I would really appreciate your help, guys! Thank you and God bless!!!

7 Replies to The Holy Spirit

re: The Holy Spirit (karma: 1)
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:46 PM
On a larger and more abstract level, it is the Spirit of God. On a more personal level, it is the conscience of a Christian. On a Jewish level, it is nonexistent because of strict monotheism.
re: The Holy Spirit
By popergerm
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 01:10 AM
I will take this one, The Holy Spirit is the liveing embodyment of the love of the Father for the Son and the Son for the Father, it is so infinent it is litteraly an embodyment of that love. its not just a feeling its God its what ties us to him the part of God that is with us sort of like the liason between us and God but it is also part of the Triune God. Islam also makes mention of the spirit of God but not in so strong of language as what I learned about it as a Roman Catholic.

I promise you the words I tell you about what the Spirit is comes from a very smart priest, and a great teacher of the faith.

signed Jeremy popergerm
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:28 PM
popergerm wrote:

I promise you the words I tell you about what the Spirit is comes from a very smart priest, and a great teacher of the faith.

Who?
re: The Holy Spirit (karma: 1)
By Peridotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 22, 2009 06:43 AM
I was once told that the Holy Spirit is like chocolate milk. You put the chocolate syrup in the milk and stir it up, and it becomes chocolate milk. If you let it sit for a while, though, it sinks down to the bottom of the glass and the liquid doesn't really look like or taste like chocolate milk, does it?
Only when you stir it up again does the milk become chocolate milk.

You are the milk. The Holy Spirit is the chocolate syrup. The syrup is always there, even at the bottom of the glass... but you've got to get it stirred up and mixed in the with the milk to make it brown. :)

It's a simply analogy, but that's how I like to think of it.

~Dot
By moara
On Sun Mar 22, 2009 08:00 AM
Since you asked for it, and because you shouldn't just take peoples word on things, but look for where they get it from:

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
John 14:15-27 (New International Version)

15 “If you love me, obey[a] my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[b] who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.[c] 18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”

22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”

23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

The Holy Spirit comes after Jesus' death
Acts 2:
1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

Fruit of the spirit
Galatians 5:
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
By MJeanette
On Tue Mar 24, 2009 02:12 PM
Peridot wrote:

I was once told that the Holy Spirit is like chocolate milk. You put the chocolate syrup in the milk and stir it up, and it becomes chocolate milk. If you let it sit for a while, though, it sinks down to the bottom of the glass and the liquid doesn't really look like or taste like chocolate milk, does it?
Only when you stir it up again does the milk become chocolate milk.

You are the milk. The Holy Spirit is the chocolate syrup. The syrup is always there, even at the bottom of the glass... but you've got to get it stirred up and mixed in the with the milk to make it brown. :)

It's a simply analogy, but that's how I like to think of it.

~Dot

I think it's a bit more accurate if the Holy Spirit is the one who stirs the syrup into the milk, not the actual syrup. I guess that would mean the syrup is faith.
By popergerm
On Thu Apr 16, 2009 02:42 AM
Who you ask the former pastor of my church, Father Thom, thats who, and he would make his sermons down off the lectern, looking people in the eye and make points in his speach then summorize it at the end.

In the exact way that my collage communications professor told us on how to make speaches effectivly the right way.

ReplySendWatch