Popular Teachers

Need help finding a title for choreography by darcey
... I need a Title for a Solo - the Title needs to let the audience and judges know - what the piece...

Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
Underwear to wear to a dress fitting? en>fr fr>en
By Euphoriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1895, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:06 AM

I'm going to a few bridal shops over the next few days, and my mother and I are having a bit of an argument over what underwear I should wear.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice over what is best to wear? Are boy shorts (you know, the skin tight boy short underwear) ok to wear? I really do not want to be stood there in anything revealing at all. What about the top half? Its mostly going to be strapless dresses I'm trying on.

Gah, who would have thought that UNDERWEAR for a dress fitting would prove so stressful??

13 Replies to Underwear to wear to a dress fitting?

re: Underwear to wear to a dress fitting? en>fr fr>en
By PureTapPremium member Comments: 1082, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:24 AM
I don't know if you've gotten to that stage yet, but maybe wear as close to what you are going to wear under the dress on the day. I wore a white boned corset thingy under my wedding dress, so I wore that when I was doing my fittings just to make sure that it was showing around necklines, backs and arms when the dress was being made. I would imagine that that would come into play with the dress.

If you're not that far ahead in planning yet, or you're going to choose your lingerie based on the dress, just wear whatever's comfortable, but make sure the bra is strapless if you're wearing a strapless dress.

I would have thought boy leg shorts would have been fine - a lot less revealing than a normal pair of underpants.

Cheers
Di
By Euphoriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1895, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:58 AM
thanks

I was considering getting one of those magic body shaper things like this:

www.marksandspencer.com . . .
By AymeePremium member Comments: 1072, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:59 AM
It would be best to wear the underwear your going to wear on the day.

That way, you'll know of anything is going to show through.
If your wearing anything boned, you'll need to have the dress fitted to accomodate that, and it would help to know if your bra will show either at the back or sides of the dress.

It might be a good idea to go underwear shopping first!!
By Sunivamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1156, member since Thu May 27, 2004
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 04:41 AM
For the fittings before I chose the dress, I put on whatever panties (no thongs, lol), and a strapless bra.
My next fitting is with the final dress, so there I need to wear the underwear I bought especially for the wedding day.
By TwinkleToez207member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1834, member since Fri Jun 27, 2003
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 07:32 AM
I would suggest underwear that are regular (like with a bum lol) or boy shorts. Going for these initial fittings does not require the exact underwear for your dress (unless you are amazing and already know what they are going to be lol) But it is not advisable to wear thongs. I know this from going for fittings and seeing them everywhere! And I don't know about where you live, but here, the women that work in the shops often do up the backs of the dresses for you, so I wouldn't want to be showing them my bum lol I chose nude colours but one time I wore pink and you couldn't see through - they are thick dresses lol. I wore a strapless nude bra as well. Most places tell you just to take it right off, and one place that I went to had boustiers that they put on you instead of a bra. This also will depend on the type of dresses you are trying on too. I tried on mainly corset tops, so they can tie them as tight as they want and I didn't need a bra (and I am not small in that area lol). However, if you plan on wearing a full body thing underneath I would try to get that as soon as possible to go to fittings. So this is getting quite long, but I agree that it shouldn't be so stressful!! haha
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 07:34 AM
They tell you to take your bra off???

No way will I be doing that, I'm having nightmares about these women seeing me in just my underwear let alone topless!!
By Sunivamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1156, member since Thu May 27, 2004
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 08:39 AM
Don't worry, I went to 5 shops and nobody asked me to take my bra off. You should definitely wear a strapless bra to avoid any inconvenience. Because in the first shop I went to, I had on a regular pink bra with straps and the shop assistant lent me a strapless one.
By lilmegzibutt Comments: 1590, member since Thu Jan 29, 2004
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 08:52 AM
The first time I went shopping it was totally on a whim, we were in NC on vacation, a whole 2 days after we got engaged and we were in the mall. So my bff helped me try on dresses, I happened to be wearing a strapless bra and I don't remember if I was wearing a thong (as I usually do) or boy shorts, I was wearing a sun dress, so I assume I was wearing boy shorts.

The second time I DIDN'T KNOW we were going dress shopping (again) and I was with my fiances sisterinlaw, I was wearing an old thong and a normal bra, so I had to take the bra off.. which I personally have no problem with that.. but it was a little weird with his sisterinlaw and me wearing an old thong!
I had a worker there help me and she said she's used to it, that most people do that.

The third time I wore a thong and strapless bra, and another of my friends helped me and she's seen me in less...

I agree with what suniva said. Wear a strapless bra and whatever bottoms you want.. nothing too loose and once you find the dress, get the underwear that you'll be wearing on your wedding day.

I know some dresses come with a built in bra, so you might not even need one.
By ChicaEnPointe Comments: 960, member since Wed Sep 10, 2003
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 09:37 AM
I would wear whatever you are comfortable in. I have worked at bridal shops for the past five years and have seen every type of underwear under the sun. It won't really phase us.
If I had to suggest though, I would say go with a strapless bra (or if you plan to wear a bustier and already have one, bring it). As for panties, its always my preference if people wear something with some coverage. I'm definitely used to seeing not so covered, but when a dress is too big/too small there's the potential that the zipper will be left open and rather than focusing on how gorgeous you'll look in the dress, you'll be trying to cover yourself in the back. At least if you wear covering panties, you won't be so worried. Again though, if you know for sure you're going to be wearing Spanx or some sort of shaper and already have it, bring it.
Its not necessary to have all your undergarments for the big day when you're just trying on but keep in mind for your fittings that you will need the undergarments you will be wearing that day (no substitutions! It seriously can alter the fit of the dress).
As for being asked to take a bra off, I've never asked someone to do that. I might suggest taking bra straps down, but that's as far as I go. Of the two places I've worked and all the shops that I know of, I've never heard of a forced strip-down method.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:54 PM
Wear what you want to wear. I couldn't even tell you the number of dresses I have tried on for my own wedding plus the many others I have been in, and I have never once had to be in my bra/underwear around the women from the bridal shop. I always wear full fitting underwear when I go shopping(boy shorts, regular cut...basically no thong) and you can either wear a strapless bra, or your regular bra is fine to and just let the straps down. Some places will give you a bra to wear under the dress, especially when your trying on strapless dresses. Thats really common, and no they don't see you without it on. The bridal shop employee's never once came in to the room while I was dressing, and always made sure I felt decent and comfortable enough before they enterred into the dressing room. Don't worry at all about them seeing you in your undergarments.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7692, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 03:35 PM
I was wearing a crappy thong that I own I think I can't remember... I wasn't planning on going dress shopping on that day, also I would really recommend bringing/wearing a strapless bra... I ended up going braless for majority of my trying on of dresses.
By Brookemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3803, member since Mon Dec 02, 2002
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 03:38 PM
I just wore whatever. But on the big day, you'll probably want a long line bra. Most bridal shops will give you a long line bra to try with the dress as well as a slip/ petticoat too.
By CrayolaPremium member Comments: 1548, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 03:59 PM
Honestly, I didn't even think about it. Each dress I tried on I took my bra off. I didn't wear a bra on the big day, so I didn't really need to try dresses on with one on. As for underwear I think I wore a thong (that's just what I wear). It wasn't a big deal.

Happy dress shopping!

ReplySendWatch