Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Baby On Board
The Breastfeeding support and Information thread. (karma: 3)
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:44 AM

NOTE: This is not an attack against non-breastfeeding mothers. If a simple Q and A about Breastfeeding offends you please close out the thread. This is not a debate nor is it a mommy war, if you want to debate breast vs. formula feeding please start your own thread. Off topic posts will be removed. Thank you.

I’ve gotten a few PM’s from people asking for Breastfeeding information and help. While I am not a medical professional, nor a lactation consultant, and a relatively new kid on the block, I am more than happy to share what I do know. I thought a thread on the baby boards might be a good way for all of us nursing mother’s (current or veteran) to share advice and support each other. Think of this thread as the La Leche League of DDN. :D

Disclaimer…… This is just my advice as a nursing mother and what has worked for us. Take it or leave it as you will. :)

Ok lets get started!

Before Baby tips
Q: I want to Breastfeed. Is there anything I need to do to get ready before my baby comes?

A: Read, pick up as much reading material as you can! Talk to other nursing mothers, contact the La Leche League and find a local group in your area and start to attend meetings, take a breastfeeding class at your local hospital or midwives office. The more you learn about breastfeeding while pregnant the greater your odds are of succeeding.

Q: Do I need to toughen my nipples?

A: Nope. The hormonal changes pregnancy brings to your breasts are sufficient preparation for most women. Don't rub or scrub your nipples — this will only hurt you and make breastfeeding difficult. Teaching your baby the right way to latch on to your breast from the beginning will prevent your nipples from getting sore.

Q: Do I need to buy anything?

A: As I have found you don’t usually need a lot of supplies in order to Breastfeed. Before M came I think I bought a few nursing bra’s, cloth nursing pads, and a sling for public outings.

After she was born and It was towards the end of my maternity leave I purchased accessories for my breast pump (which was a shower gift) Bottles, and storage bags for my freezer stash.

YAY! Baby is here!

Here are some tips I wish I had known ahead of time.

Breastfeeding can be hard and stressful. Most books and breastfeeding support groups tend to emphasize how wonderful breastfeeding is and how good it is for the development of a healthy bond between mom and baby. Which, I have found it is!

BUT a lack of awareness of how hard and stressful breastfeeding might be at times can leave many women feeling like they are the only ones dealing with a stressful breastfeeding situation. The reality is that many mothers find it difficult in the very least at first. I’m not going to lie. When M and I were having our latch issues in the hospital I wanted to cry, and give up. Not to mention the first few times nursing was painful.

BUT once our latch was straighten out and my boobs were used to nursing things got better. I’ll say to anyone who is having issues…

1) Get help and get it early!
2) Don’t listen to the naysayers…find supportive people in your life and stick to them like glue!
3) REMEMBER! Breastfeeding is also very much a confidence game…..the more confident you are, the more likely you are to succeed.

Q: Some people are saying I should feed every 4 hours, others are saying feed when baby is hungry….What do I do!? ( This is one I was confused about!)

A: Feed baby when they are hungry…..a little one doesn’t know about schedules, nor at this age should they be expected to follow one. Doesn’t matter if they just ate an hour ago…..feed that baby. :) There are days when M might go 5 hours between feedings, than there are the days were she feeds every hour. Remember, the more you nurse the more milk you will have, Breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing.

These are some hunger cues you may or may not see. Remember all babies are different..
• squirming,
• increased alertness or activity,
• making rooting motions,
• snuggling or rooting at the breast,
• clenching his fists by his face,
• putting his fist in his mouth,
• sucking on his hands,
• making sucking sounds,
• crying

Q: Ok Nursing is going well! But I have to go back to work, do I have to wean?

Only if you want to. If you can get your hands on a good nursing pump (I recommend the Medela Pump in Style…..www.medelabreastfeedingus.com . . .) it will make pumping faster and easier.

Not going to lie…..Pumping is hard work and it can suck at times…..but for me I grin and bear it because I know that at the end of a long crappy day at the office M is waiting for me and ready to nurse. A long day at the office fades away once we settle down to nurse and reconnect with each other.

On the subject of pumping……It’s a good idea if you plan on doing so to

1) Get used to the pump while still on Maternity leave.
2) Build up a bit of a back up supply (called a freezer stash) 2-3 days worth of expressed milk for those just in case times where you might need it. I.E like a hospital stay or if you find you need to be on a medication that is not Breastfeeding friendly.
3) Scope out a room or office at work where you can pump. (This is also a good time to discuss your plans for breaks with the boss)

Another option is if your care provider is close by OR you can leave is to meet with baby throughout the day for feeding.

I have a co-worker who when she nursed would run over to the baby’s daycare down the street or have the provider meet her in the parking lot. Nursing and working can be done…..you just might have to work at it. :)
Q: How long should I continue to Breastfeed?

A: UNICEF encourages breastfeeding for two years and longer. The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages mothers to nurse at least one year and as long after as both mother and baby desire. The Canadian Paediatric Society, in its feeding statement, acknowledges that women may want to breastfeed for two years or longer. Really there isn’t a “right” answer but it’s generally agreed the longer you can do keep breastfeeding the better.

I guess my biggest advise I have is this…..no matter how far you get, you are doing great things for your baby. Regardless if you last 3 days or 3 years. Take each day as a gift.

Some links that you might find helpful:
www.llli.org ( Best resource out there in my opinion)
www.breastfeeding.com
knol.google.com . . .# (Advice for breastfeeding while working)
cafelaleche.com . . .
www.kellymom.com
www.marchofdimes.com . . .

Ok so that’s pretty much all the advice I have right now…..other mom’s who breastfeed feel free to chime in.

11 Replies to The Breastfeeding support and Information thread.

re: The Breastfeeding support and Information thread.
By DeeDeesPremium member Comments: 4147, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 PM
Great idea Maggie

No specific info to write about right now but any questions feel free to PM me, I've breastfed for a total of 8+years.
By dans_e Comments: 337, member since Fri Aug 31, 2007
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 02:40 PM
Bravo!
Thanks for posting this thread. Now how do I give the karma thingy??
By Chepyl Comments: 2346, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 PM
1. Read the book "So That's What Their For" it is VERY informative but it is a great read! I found the book very funny, which made the information stick more.

2. Find a "mentor" your mom or a friend who has successfully breastfed and knows how important is to you, and how good it is for your baby. Have them visit you in the hospital and at home to help you through the first few days. A lactation consultant is great, but a good friend or family member can come home with you!

3. Be sure your husband/partner is supportive as well. If you are away for any period of time (an emergency c-section that puts you in recovery for an hour or two) the child's father or other designated guardian will have to make decisions about the child's care. They have to be ready to say no to the bottle!

4. Baby's don't eat a lot in the first few hours after birth (my daughter did not eat for about 18 hours), this is NORMAL! Don't let a nurse convice you that you need a bottle when the baby is 2 hours old and not eating.

5. Be clear about your wishes and don't give in. If it is imporant to you be sure the nurses know that. You ar ein charge of your baby's care!

6. It is not easy! You have to learn to breastfeed and so does your baby. It takes time to get started, then it gets easier. If you can make it through the first 2 weeks of being sore, it gets better.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 08:03 PM
Here is a yummy way to try to increase milk supply. :)

I just baked some of these tonight and they are YUMMY!

1 C butter
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
4 T water
2 T flaxseed meal (no subs)
2 Lg eggs
1 t vanilla
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
3 C Thick cut oats
1 C Chocolate chips
2 T Brewers Yeast (no substitutions)

Preheat oven at 375.

Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs.
Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla.
Beat until well blended.
Sift: dry ingredients, except oats and choc chips.
Add butter mix to dry ing.
Stir in the oats and then the choc chips.
Drop on parchmant paper on baking sheet.
Bake 8-12 minutes.
By JwshIrshdancer Comments: 524, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 06:03 PM
I think I will have to try this! I pump twice a day at work, but my milk supply is definitely not what it used to be!
By kerryjo Comments: 65, member since Fri Feb 08, 2008
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 05:21 AM
hya, i think you have done a fantastic job with what you have written. I breast fed all four of mine, my youngest till she was 18 months old (by then more of a comfort once or twice a day). I think it is the best thing going and really feel it for those mothers that can't.
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 09:26 PM
JwshIrshdancer wrote:

I think I will have to try this! I pump twice a day at work, but my milk supply is definitely not what it used to be!

Are you still meeting her demands? If not you need to squeeze in more pumpings....either between feedings, at work or at night.

After about a week of adding a few extra you should see your supply go up.

Try Funegreek and or oatmeal. Drink lots of water and try to get plenty of sleep.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 PM
I'm so happy this post is here. I certainly could have used it back in the day.

Even without it though, I did manage to spend 18 years of my life either pregnant or breastfeeding...sometimes both. If anyone needs advice or wants to PM me, please, please do. I did learn quite a few things over those 18 years and I'm happy to share.

xooxo
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 PM
Katherine posted this on another thread. Hope it helps someone. Great info!

Unless your milk has come in you are still making colostrum. Colustrum is very nutritional and is all your baby really needs for the first few days of life.
www.llli.org . . .

Here is a chart that details how much liquids your child should be taking.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Pinkdancingirl/max-stomach-capacity.jpg'

This talks about how much expressed milk a child actually needs.
www.kellymom.com . . .

As you said before that she was so hungry because she guzzled down the bottle. The fact of the matter is that when using a bottle a baby needs to drink or else they will choke, so they continue to drink.

You really need to get the baby back to the breast and forget the bottles if you don't want your supply to take a major dip.

Here are some great links to check out.

Nursing your newborn- what to expect in the early weeks
www.kellymom.com . . .

How does milk production work
www.kellymom.com . . .

Kellymom is a great breastfeeding resource.

Here are some Jack Newman videos of babies latching, it should help you a little with trying to figure out your latch.

www.drjacknewman.com . . .

Also you can youtube nursing latch videos and there are alot of other helpful videos there too.
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 01:08 PM
New Nursing in the work place law.

"Federal Health Reform and Nursing Mothers
President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23rd and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.) Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk. If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs less than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. Furthermore, these requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees."
www.ncsl.org . . .
By DramaQueenukPremium member Comments: 34, member since Fri Nov 27, 2009
On Sun Aug 22, 2010 04:16 PM
I am a breastfeeding counsellor and Doula in the UK and it is fabulous to see threads like this on here, I only started having a good look around tonight :)

ReplySendWatch