Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Switch Leap Help!
By slonecker_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:50 PM

For our lyrical dance we have to do switch leaps. We have run, run, leap.

I am doing terrible at them, but have to improve them for the recital! What do I do, what do I do?

Any tips or advice?

7 Replies to Switch Leap Help!

re: Switch Leap Help!
By dancetoexpressmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 03, 2009 03:07 PM
I'm terrible at them too, so probably not much help. But, you can try watching this video-

www.youtube.com . . .
By LCSmallwood
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 03:35 PM
That video is a great suggestion! It is difficult to give advice w/o watching you perform the step, but the most common mistake I see is not giving the leg that comes straight up enough energy/power. Also remember a leap requires you to transfer your weight from one leg to the other. You should NOT land on the leg that is swinging/switching. You should land on the leg which comes straight up. Remember to use your plie before and after the leap. Most importantly, focus on the leg that comes stright up in the front! I hope that helps!! Lots of luck! You can do it! :)
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 02:02 PM
The basis for this is your plie. With a switch leap you have to get enough height to be able to switch your legs in the air, so if aren't using your plie you won't get anywhere. Also, using that plie to push yourself back into the air helps give you some momentum to get that leg switched. Think about getting up higher into the air. Normally when people leap they think "out" while they split, but with a switch leap you have to think "up". Hopefully that makes sense!!! Good luck!
By bedaZzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 31, 2009 02:29 PM
Start small - worry about getting the technique down first and understanding the movement of the jump. Once you're comfortable with it your leap will get higher!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 31, 2009 07:59 PM
DancingDiva736 wrote:

The basis for this is your plie. With a switch leap you have to get enough height to be able to switch your legs in the air, so if aren't using your plie you won't get anywhere. Also, using that plie to push yourself back into the air helps give you some momentum to get that leg switched. Think about getting up higher into the air. Normally when people leap they think "out" while they split, but with a switch leap you have to think "up". Hopefully that makes sense!!! Good luck!

This is true, but I noticed something when my switches used to be bad. We add an extra step after the usual coupé, chassé, pas de bourré, glissade. Usually, I use the step coming down from the glissade as my big plié to help me get elevation. However, if you are adding an extra step on, think of ending your glissade in a little lighter plié so that you can milk the plié of the step after. I would go "glissade, plié, step, way too deep plié," and then get hardly any spring for the leap itself. Think of plié as a spring: you want to push down quickly to shoot up. If you just compress the spring all the way down and leave it there for a while, it loses some of it's... springiness.
By rachieluvsdance
On Fri Apr 17, 2009 02:08 PM
I'm trying to work on Switch Splits or switch leaps too. I've been doing small for now. It's helping!! Good Luck!! xoxo
By xcaj
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 05:24 PM
plie as much as possible! you want as much height as possible so you can do the switch part of your leap!

ReplySendWatch