Priority Dance Jobs

Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
Men wearing ballet flats in public en>fr fr>en
By WillSouthMcr Comments: 87, member since Sun Dec 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 05, 2009 02:34 PM

I love dancing and love wearing my black flats - Q How do other guys feel about wearing their flats around town ?

19 Replies to Men wearing ballet flats in public

re: Men wearing ballet flats in public en>fr fr>en
By guyintightsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 242, member since Wed Aug 29, 2007
On Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:08 PM
I wear them at work sometimes but never outside cause it wrecks them in no time at all.
People know you are a dancer because of the way that you move and the way that you hold yourself. They may not say but they know. Best thing of all is that YOU know that YOU are a ballet dancer.
By LittleButFierce Comments: 882, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:43 PM
Why would you do that? It will bring dirt into the studio and your teacher and director will get mad and so will other dancers because it will mess up the floors and can make people fall from the dirt and it will make their shoes or feet dirty. Plus slippers are not exactly shoes for outside because they don't even have a rubber sole and have no support for your foot. I think it would be really uncomfortable. Plus it looks pretty weird for a guy to be running around outside a dance class in ballet slippers. Not really a men's style of shoe even if they were meant for wearing around town. :( So ya I think it's a dumb idea for many reasons.
By guyclone Comments: 241, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:18 PM
Do you mean ballet flats like those shoes that women wear with dresses and stuff, or proper ballet slippers that are meant for class???
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 883, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:10 AM
I would not wear them out and about town. It is hard to find a pair that I can get used to for class and is comfortable for me. I recently changed from leather to canvas and wow what a difference! Why would you ruin them for class by wearing them out in public? Then, again technically wearing them in class and performing in them IS wearing them in public.
By PerfectFeet Comments: 342, member since Mon Feb 11, 2008
On Mon Mar 09, 2009 08:38 AM
No. For all the reasons already stated.

I could see wearing them at home, if you're actually practicing, or even just in the type of mood where you might want to bust out a few pirouettes in the kitchen or something.

My latest obsession: (and might I suggest...)

vibramfivefingers.com
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Mon Mar 09, 2009 02:24 PM
PerfectFeet wrote:

My latest obsession: (and might I suggest...)

vibramfivefingers.com

Those look very comfortable.
On topic: No. I don't think it's a good idea for two reasons. First, you'll ruin your flats in no time flat (ho ho ho... that was awful). Even if you can afford to replace them every other day, you'll drag dirt and dust and all manner of grossness into your ballet studio. That's not fair to the other dancers, now is it?
By mohabee Comments: 767, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:58 PM
Hi WillSouthMcr!

I think you'll wind up with badly-impared shoes, and it might harm your knees, legs, and lower back.

Ballet shoes aren't made to be worn outside the class or the performance--they wear out quickly. Worn ballet shoes can lead to bad posture, whether in the studio, or while walking down the street!

So don the sneakers, after class, and wear ballet shoes only while in the class.

Keep On Dancing!

Mohabee
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:25 AM
If you are going to, then have a pair of ballet shoes that you wear out, and seperate pairs for the studio. Like the others have said, you don't want to risk damaging the studio floor because of dirt and stuff.

I don't wear mine outside, the don't hold up to the elements. But after your shoes have seen their best days in the studio, they make excellent house shoes, just to hang out in! Besides, old worn shoes will remind you of the hard work you've put in.
By balletkml Comments: 193, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Thu Mar 19, 2009 07:45 PM
As said above, if you want to wear ballet slippers in public, which I do, change them out and into a clean pair in class so as not to mess up the floor.
I love to wear my dead pointes, which is going to trash anyways, I just cut and save the ribbons for new ones to be broken in. I sometimes wear them as - is, with the elastics sewed from the ankle at the back, or if I am adventurous, I might cut off the back elastics and use them as a single strap, sewing them at the point by folding the heel over from the back, or even use double ribbons to criss-cross.
As for soft slippers, which I like to wear even more (as although the blocks are soft, they are not nearly as comfortable wearing them for hours on end as "Soft-Shoes") For soft slippers in wearing them when the weather is dry, I just use SUPER GLUE on all the stitches judiciously. (And not like U.S; where a pair of soft slippers will cost you $10 or more, I get mine from the Far East - Leather full or split sole ones for about $2.5 a pair, and canvas ones even cheaper - which I wear mostly on the beaches - as I can dye them to whatever colour I want!). My experience is that a pair will last me 2 weeks of constant wearing until the heel wears out first, then I use duct tape with the sticky side facing outwards, cuting the patch into a size slightly bigger than the worn out hole and another into smaller bitty size to tape and to cover the hole with the sticky side facing inside and Super Glue the "cut" circumferences again. Trust me, they last as long as a month for your "street" use as long as you don't do pirouettes on concrete surfaces!
As an aside, there are Chinese canvas MJs, American Eagle, Sugar and other ballerina flats you can choose from to wear as a boy/guy, they are nearly as comfy as soft ballet slippers and can be worn even when it's raining. But if your size is bigger than US womens' 9 or 10, then you have limited choice, and have to stick to ballet slippers.
I really don't find it wrong wearing what you want, whether you are in dance or not, I have worn half slip gymnastics ones with ankle socks in the street with just the front pad covering my toes, I don't care what others think about me walking like I am in dance or strutting in feminine balletic poisture.... Do it if you like it and don't judge into others like others judge you.
By balletbear Comments: 164, member since Sat Dec 14, 2002
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 09:15 AM
I agree with all the don't do it comments, wearing them indoors is fine but they are just not designed for outdoor wear. But if u like to feel the road beneath your feet and barefoot isn't an option then I agree with PerfectFeet Vibrams fivefingers are fantastic, best footwear I own, would wear them all the time if I could.
By lynn_dancer3201 Comments: 21, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:07 AM
I agree with KML. I wear ballet flats (NOT ballet slippers, but flats meant for street wear. They are so cute, and comfortable.
By new_dancer27 Comments: 19, member since Mon Apr 06, 2009
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:50 PM
So I was wondering myself. I know girls wear the hard ballet flats everywere like to school, work, or for going out but I was wondering are they only for woment? I never really liked seeing them at first and actually hated the sight of them but now they kinda grew on me.

Are there ballet flats for men that we can wear or do we have to just purchase the womens ballet flats? Other guys here or ladies what are your opinions on guys that would like to wear girls ballet flats?
re: Men wearing ballet flats in public (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 07:09 AM
This whole issue had little or nothing to do with ballet. It belongs on a fashion or gender identification forum. Wearing ballet slippers outside of the studio is a little like wearing swimming goggles out of the water. You can do it, you can justify it to yourself, but you’re still going to look very out of place.

If a guy wants to wear clothes designed for women, if that’s what he feels comfortable in and as long as he is prepared for the reactions and possible repercussions, by all means I think he should go for it. But understand that it’s a statement about personal style and most likely gender identification. Just don’t think it has anything to do with ballet.
By JoshuaSullivan Comments: 40, member since Thu Apr 23, 2009
On Sat Apr 25, 2009 01:19 AM
I agree with all of the don't comments. It'll destroy your shoes. I noticed something was missing in the don't arguments. you feet. walk around one day and just look at the ground. all of the glass and rocks and pointy objects laying around are like a mine field. you could really hurt yourself.
sometimes if i don't have time to change my shoes i'll slide my foot (flats and everything) into my street shoe and it works just fine.
On Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 PM
Joshua, I agree. Ballet shoes aren't made for outdoor support. I do wear mine around the house, but more for comfort and warmth than support. I have worn mine outside or home from the studio now and then, but out of pure laziness. I usually do the same thing you do. After class I keep my ballet shoes on, and just slip into my street shoes. They are big bulky skate shoes anyways, so theres room!
By Shramie Comments: 25, member since Sun Apr 12, 2009
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 04:55 AM
I think epople can do what they want to.
The only thing is, why WOULD you wear your ballet flats in public? I wouldn't they'd get dirty and it wopuld shorten the life of them, for $40 a pair im not going to just let them get ruined, I need to buy them regularly and dont want to make it more so!

I've been doing ballet for a year now (the actual grading syllabus for 3-4 months) and have gone through 2 pairs! but I DO use them also for modern alot
On Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 PM
Shramie, the ones I wear around the house are old, worn out ballet shoes, not ones I currently use in the studio.
But yes, I don't get the point of wearing them out in public, unless you are looking for weird reactions.
By balletisawesome Comments: 66, member since Sat May 02, 2009
On Fri May 08, 2009 02:16 PM
um to me that would look weird, and plus it would really kill em. i have these red ballet slippers and they're really nice but the left one is starting to break a lil so i dont want to totally kill my ballet shoes :)
and it would be weird to see a guy wearing his ballet shoes around town
By balletguy7member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Thu Jul 06, 2006
On Sun May 17, 2009 08:43 PM
Hii Will,
are you talking about ballet slipers? if so be careful cause they dont have any arch support and you can hurt your knees and back in a bad way...even as a home slippers they are not so comfy ..but if you are talking about ballet flats(ballerina shoes)...that many girls are wearing on the street now with leggings or jeans, and if you are lucky and can wear ladies sizes such as 9 or 10..go ahead !! I saw some guys at Montreal wearing this kind of girls shoes and nobody minds there, by the way this shoes are comfy ..I tried once at one friends home lol
But not on the street cause I am not really cute or good looking and I am short ;)

ReplySendWatch